MASKS series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
    I couldn't help but see "Clock" written on the torn picture that the character flips at the reader.
    There are spoilers below. Highlight only if you don't care from HERE

Right, but how did you automatically read that as, "Bam. He's the big bad villain"? Yeah, I knew he was a significant figure from the past, especially to Black Bat, but not sure how that history would impact the plot.

to HERE
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Well, he's standing amongst the unconscious bodies of pretty well every good guy (and girl) in the story, implying that he was involved in getting them to that state. I didn't "know" for certain because it had yet to be revealed but it's the conclusion I came to. Because I was pretty convinced, when it was revealed in-story, it was no longer a surprise to me.

Comment

• I did not automatically connect the hooded figure in white (who is obviously the bad guy) standing over the fallen bodies of our heroes, with the guy in the newspaper picture. For all I knew, it was representing some old foe of The Clock, responsible for his disappearance, who has now defeated the Masks as well. Then again, I didn't spend all that much time trying to analyze the picture. I scanned it for a second, along with the other cover variants. Had I noticed the clock on the wall at the left, maybe I would have made the connection. Sure, it's all obvious in retrospect.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• For me Masks has been kinda boring, I think I would have liked it better had they kept it pulp and not added in all the PSP characters and had a better enemy to go up against. Don't get me wrong, it's still enjoyable but overall I'm not having the best time reading this as much as I enjoy reading the solo books, especially Spider and Shadow.

Comment

• As I read the latest issue I had a 'OMG' moment.
            Seeing a character, dressed all in one color clothing, being on the famous floor of the city's tallest skyscraper, the veiled mention of the individual who lives on that floor, all led me to believe that I had figured out who the villian was.
            Now it seems I was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kane View Post
              As I read the latest issue I had a 'OMG' moment.
              Seeing a character, dressed all in one color clothing, being on the famous floor of the city's tallest skyscraper, the veiled mention of the individual who lives on that floor, all led me to believe that I had figured out who the villian was.
              Now it seems I was wrong.
              Come on, you didn't think for a second that DE would acquire the Doc Savage license and introduce him as a villain?! That would have been so wrong and upset so many people. So you're what, MAD that they didn't gain the license to an iconic character and immediately do him dirty? Nobody really wants that, do they? Yeah, I want to see Doc Savage back in comics again too, but not so badly that I'll accept a twisted version of the character. Better no Doc Savage at all. It would be way too easy for an incoming writer with no particular fan devotion to Doc Savage to look at things like Doc performing brain surgery on criminals at his upstate 'Crime College' and conclude that the modern spin is to portray Doc as some sort of Nazi ubermensch type who thinks that only he knows what's best for humanity. Almost cliche after things like Alan Moore's Ozymandias. BORING.

Whereas, the other guy they actually made the villain has no real fan base and is more or less a footnote in history as the first masked hero in comic books.
              Last edited by positronic; 04-11-2013, 04:03 AM.

Comment

• Poitronic,

Reading through my last post, and your comments on it, I can now easily see where I made my mistake.
                I was not implying that Doc Savage was the villain. Instead, I was implying that the villain was John Sunlight. The only villain from the Savage series to appear twice.
                Given his intelligence, desire for domination, and, in the adventure Fortress of Solitude, I could see him being able to use subvert Savages's contacts and equipment to establish the Justice Party and get it pushed through and brought to power.

As for a Nazi Ubermensch, there was a Nazi version of Doc Savage, Sun Koh. A character that would be interesting to see appear as a WWII villain in one of Dynamite's pulp titles.
                Last edited by Kane; 04-11-2013, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kane View Post
                  Poitronic,

Reading through my last post, and your comments on it, I can now easily see where I made my mistake.
                  I was not implying that Doc Savage was the villain. Instead, I was implying that the villain was John Sunlight. The only villain from the Savage series to appear twice.
                  Given his intelligence, desire for domination, and, in the adventure Fortress of Solitude, I could see him being able to use subvert Savages's contacts and equipment to establish the Justice Party and get it pushed through and brought to power.
                  Kane, are you sure you're not just recalling the plot of DC's First Wave? Wasn't John Sunlight the bad guy behind all that? (To be honest, I'm not 100% sure, since I found that series very hard to follow, as well as swallow. Great art by Rags Morales, but Brian Azzarello is not the guy I want writing my pulp heroes.) It would be pretty dumb if Dynamite just grafted him onto the borrowed plot from The Spider and made him the villain. I think I would just give up on wishing that they would somehow work Doc Savage (or anything to do with Doc Savage) into the plot of MASKS. Instead, let's wish for a Doc Savage series where he's the star of the book, and that's faithful to the Lester Dent version of the character (no modern updates, please).

Comment

• Definitly no modern update of Doc Savage. Also they shoul;dn't feel the need to have all of his helpers in every book. As I remember they rotated on an as needed basis or what was called for in the plot (the same thing really). And as much as I like the idea of using his cousin Pat, she only appeared in a handfull of stories.
                    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• I was very surprised by the reveal, but pretty happy about it. He's a definite threat to the heroes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                        Definitly no modern update of Doc Savage. Also they shoul;dn't feel the need to have all of his helpers in every book. As I remember they rotated on an as needed basis or what was called for in the plot (the same thing really). And as much as I like the idea of using his cousin Pat, she only appeared in a handfull of stories.
                        Some (if not most of the early) novels had all 5 of the "Amazing 5". Many had only 4, and the missing member would turn out to be off on some mission that would tie in to a later Doc novel. Later Doc novels, in particular the ones from the 1940s, had fewer of the Amazing 5, usually only two or three (the word count of the novels dropped due to paper rationing during the war), although it did seem as if Monk, or Monk and Ham, was in virtually every one of them. There were a few rare Doc novels where none of them appeared. Pat appeared relatively rarely, but she is a fan favorite (as well as being the only reoccurring female character, apart from a few minor appearances by Monk's secretary).

On the other hand, this would be a comic book, not a novel, and so would need to cut down on the complexity of the typical Doc Savage plot (including the number of characters) accordingly.

Comment

• When I go to the comic store to pick up my subscription to Masks I get...

Issue 1... Sweet Jae Lee cover.
                          Issue 2... Sweet Jae Lee cover.
                          Issue 3... Sweet Jae Lee cover.
                          Issue 4... Sweet Jae Lee cover.
                          Issue 5...... what's this? no Jae Lee cover? Well.... uh that sucks.

Comment

• I'm enjoying the Masks title, but I do wish there were no PSP characters involved. Keep it noir/pulp and leave out the "superheroes" or anyone involved with another franchise. Personally, I don't believe these version of Black Terror or Green Lama to be the same ones as the Project Superpowers versions, I just can't bring myself to do so.

I do like Masks though, it's been a fun and refreshing crossover with lots of high spots.

Comment

• Originally posted by DynamitePulpReader View Post
                              I'm enjoying the Masks title, but I do wish there were no PSP characters involved. Keep it noir/pulp and leave out the "superheroes" or anyone involved with another franchise. Personally, I don't believe these version of Black Terror or Green Lama to be the same ones as the Project Superpowers versions, I just can't bring myself to do so.
                              Well, why shouldn't Dynamite have more than one version of Black Terror and Green Lama? It's not as if Dynamite's versions of these characters are the only ones out there, either. You can have parallel worlds where The Shadow, Spider, Green Hornet & Kato etc. meet, and and parallel worlds where they all exist by their lonesome. And parallel worlds like Project Superpowers, where it's a crowd scene of characters from half a dozen different Golden Age comics publishers. Something for everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by DynamitePulpReader View Post
                                I'm enjoying the Masks title, but I do wish there were no PSP characters involved. Keep it noir/pulp and leave out the "superheroes" or anyone involved with another franchise. Personally, I don't believe these version of Black Terror or Green Lama to be the same ones as the Project Superpowers versions, I just can't bring myself to do so.

I do like Masks though, it's been a fun and refreshing crossover with lots of high spots.
                                I kinda feel the same way. I would enjoy Masks so much more if it was strictly the noir style characters like Spider, Shadow, and Hornet, but that's just my opinion. As it stands I still like Masks perfectly fins, I just don't really dive into it like I do the other pulp books.

Comment

Working...
                                X