MASKS series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
    Well, why shouldn't Dynamite have more than one version of Black Terror and Green Lama?
    I actually kind of like that they do, so long as it's clear. There was some confusion about that when the Hornet books started. We knew they were in different eras, but not if they were connected.

With the Black Bat (for example), it's already clear. So I can look forward to enjoying the character in two different ways. If the modern one doesn't take, maybe the pulp one shows up if there's a 2nd volume of Masks.

Comment

• I prefer Terror and Lama as a part of the PSP universe also, but I'm not letting it hinder my view of Masks. I just view them as different earths similar to earth 1 and earth 2 from DC.

I just read issues 1-3 again the other day, I feel as if they were the strongest of the series so far.
      Dynamite Entertainment
      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
        I actually kind of like that they do, so long as it's clear.
        At this point, I wouldn't say it's "clear", but it's at least "open" until proven otherwise. The proof would probably take time to establish, and may not happen before the conclusion of MASKS. Unless Nick comes right out and clears it up.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

At this point, I wouldn't say it's "clear", but it's at least "open" until proven otherwise. The proof would probably take time to establish, and may not happen before the conclusion of MASKS. Unless Nick comes right out and clears it up.
          Sorry, *I* wasn't clear. I wasn't referring to Lama and Terror (even though I quoted their names) specifically, but in general terms. I like multiple versions.

At this point, you're right that it isn't clear. In fact, if I had to make a guess, I would assume it's the pre-urn Lama and Terror PSP characters (based on absolutely no evidence). Masks takes place in 1938 so before the urn "event" and just as the Green Hornet was getting started (according to Year One).
          Last edited by Captain Canuck; 04-21-2013, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Sorry, *I* wasn't clear. I wasn't referring to Lama and Terror (even though I quoted their names) specifically, but in general terms.

At this point, you're right that it isn't clear. In fact, if I had to make a guess, I would assume it's the pre-urn Lama and Terror PSP characters (based on absolutely no evidence). Masks takes place in 1938 so before the urn "event" and just as the Green Hornet was getting started (according to Year One).
            There would be one quick way of confirming that MASKS is indeed the same universe as PSP. An offhand reference in Mark Waid's Green Hornet (which is taking place sometime in the postwar era) -- if it's not presuming too much to assume MW's GH is the same as the one in Wagner's GHYO and Masks -- to the relatively recent disappearance of many of the world's costumed heroes would do the trick. Perhaps even something as subtle as a framed Daily Sentinel front page headline in reference to same hanging on one of Britt Reid's walls.

On the other hand, the lack of such a reference would prove nothing, leaving it open for people to believe whatever they choose. Just like you can choose to believe that MWGH takes place in the same universe as The Lone Ranger, or that it doesn't, and Britt Reid was inspired by some other masked rider for justice in the old west. Or maybe he was just such a big fan of the old radio show that he commisioned a portrait of the hero!

I've been getting a lot of practice myself at the "I choose not to believe it takes place in the same universe" game, these last few years, with the few DC and Marvel titles I still read.

Personally, unless some unexpected crossover forces me to rethink the idea, I choose to believe (with some justification, I think) that Dynamite's Project Superpowers (and its associated spinoffs), Green Hornet Legacy, and The Spider all take place in different universes, but that The Shadow, Green Hornet Year One, Mark Waid's Green Hornet, Masks and the upcoming Dark Nights (maybe) all take place in the same universe. I'm witholding judgment on Miss Fury at least until the first story arc concludes.
            Last edited by positronic; 04-21-2013, 03:41 PM.
            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

There would be one quick way of confirming whether or not MASKS is indeed the same universe as PSP. An offhand reference in Mark Waid's Green Hornet (which is taking place sometime in the postwar era) -- if it's not presuming too much to assume MW's GH is the same as the one in Wagner's GHYO and Masks -- to the relatively recent disappearance of many of the world's costumed heroes would do the trick. Perhaps even something as subtle as a framed Daily Sentinel front page headline in reference to same hanging on one of Britt Reid's walls.
              The newspaper headlines in MWGH#1 show dates of October and November 1941 (had to look it up) so the PSP heroes would not have disappeared yet by that point. Maybe what you describe could be done in the opposite way, a reference to those other heroes doing THEIR thing while the Hornet does it "his way" (though media) would accomplsih the same thing.

If it's all under the same umbrella, makes you wonder why there's no reference to the Hornet getting into the urn, but perhaps by then he had hung up the mask. They almost make this current book sound like the story that ruined his career (all the comments about his ego being his undoing, etc...).

"The Hornet faces his most dangerous enemy ever--an egotistical, arrogant Britt Reid! In his alter-ego as a powerful newspaper publisher, the Hornet has lost control, becoming a social crusader far too sure of himself and of his judgment. But when he finally goes too far, an innocent man pays a terrible price--and the legend of the Green Hornet begins its cataclysmic collapse!"
              Last edited by Captain Canuck; 04-21-2013, 03:26 PM.

Comment

The newspaper headlines in MWGH#1 show dates of October and November 1941 (had to look it up) so the PSP heroes would not have disappeared yet by that point. Maybe what you describe could be done in the opposite way, a reference to those other heroes doing THEIR thing while the Hornet does it "his way" (though media) would accomplsih the same thing.
                Of course, 1941 is in the past of... 1952? ...Possibly as late as that, but I'm thinking no earlier than say, '47. Waid himself was pretty vague about the date, but pretty clear that Reid has been at this quite a while, if not possibly approaching retirement. Not necessarily agewise, but in terms of taking the battle to a different arena -- politics. Sales, I'm sure, will dictate if this is indeed the ultimate (or penultimate) story in the Green Hornet saga. It may just be a painful lesson in humility for Mr. Reid.

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                If it's all under the same umbrella, makes you wonder why there's no reference to the Hornet getting into the urn, but perhaps by then he had hung up the mask. They almost make this current book sound like the story that ruined his career (all the comments about his ego being his undoing, etc...).
                If this IS the world of PSP, it should be obvious. Only HEROES were trapped in the urn. The Green Hornet is a criminal. And a fairly local one, at that. Not exactly the world-threatening type like The Claw.
                Last edited by positronic; 04-21-2013, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• Also, remember that this is Mark Waid's homage to Citizen Kane. Beyond the parallel of Charles Foster Kane and Britt Reid both being media moguls, Citizen Kane begins with the aged reporter Jerry Thompson (William Alland) telling the story of Kane from the present (in his case, the "present" of 1941, when the movie was released). Mark Waid's Green Hornet begins with the Britt Reid of the present (we know it is the present because we see the Wikipedia entry for Green Hornet, a car in-dash wireless internet PC, and a complete hardbound set of a recent print edition of the Encyclopedia Brittanica, as well as an obviously aged copy of The Daily Sentinel dated 1941), as Reid narrates his tale. Although the story immediately flashes back to events happening in 1941, I wouldn't expect the entire story to stay set in that year, just as Citizen Kane was a montage of vignettes illustrating the life and career of Charles Foster Kane. But at least we know Britt Reid is still alive in the present to tell the tale himself, and not lying dead with a snowglobe in his hand and the word "Rosebud" on his lips.

Comment

• I really liked The Clock's pre-appearance in issue #5 and I absolutely loved his full appearance in issue #6! He seems like such a cool character and I can't wait to see how the others are going to go about handling him and his cronies, especially now that there seemed to be a mystery person at the end of issue #6 who is about to join the fight. Man, so epic!

I wonder who this mystery person is? If it an existing hero we've seen already or is it a new classic hero or pulp character making his first appearance in a Dynamite comic? I can hardly wait to see!

Comment

• I like The Clock as well, I would hope he will pop up in other pulp books in time and maybe even play a part in Masks volume 2.

Speaking of which, do you guys think there will be a Masks volume 2?

Comment

• Masks is amazing. I read 1-5 again in excitement for issue no6 and I'm excited to see more in the next issue. Damn this book is good. It's like it's own little universe wrapped up unto one.

Comment

• Originally posted by manga4life View Post
                          there seemed to be a mystery person at the end of issue #6 who is about to join the fight. Man, so epic!

I wonder who this mystery person is? If it an existing hero we've seen already or is it a new classic hero or pulp character making his first appearance in a Dynamite comic? I can hardly wait to see!
                          They really don't give you the slightest clue to go on. Could be some supporting player, or maybe even The Spider, who hasn't been seen in a couple of issues. It would be cool if they could actually pull off a "surprise guest star".

Comment

They really don't give you the slightest clue to go on. Could be some supporting player, or maybe even The Spider, who hasn't been seen in a couple of issues. It would be cool if they could actually pull off a "surprise guest star".
                            Maybe it's one of the new pick up's for Dynamite? The Avenger or Doc Savage, perhaps? But they don't wear masks.....

Lone Ranger? The Phantom? DDD? Gah, the suspense is killing me!

Comment

• Originally posted by manga4life View Post
                              Maybe it's one of the new pick up's for Dynamite? The Avenger or Doc Savage, perhaps? But they don't wear masks.....

Lone Ranger? The Phantom? DDD? Gah, the suspense is killing me!
                              Well, like I said, they don't give you anything to go on. All you see is a dark outline. Masked? Unmasked? Man? Woman? Who knows?

Comment

• So, what do you guys think of The Clock being a villain and getting a new re-design by Dynamite creative? Personally I really like it, especially the white suite......it just looks cool. I like that he's not a hero and that he's a villain here, I know he was originally a hero all those years back but him being a villain just seems to work for me.

Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                                X