No announcement yet.

MASKS series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Clock is awesome in MASKS! I love how cunning and unforgiving he seems and how calculated he is, he's the perfect villain in MASKS and I'm absolutely in love with this story and where it's going. BUT WHO IS THE MYSTERY MAN in issue #6? A month is a long time to wait, noooooooooO!

Comment

• Train of thought, because I was going to say that it's not necessarily a mystery MAN, but if we're going to see some of the PSP characters in there, wouldn't Masquerade have made an awful lof of sense?

Comment

• I'm not really commenting on this book because I get my comics from DCBS, which means I get all of my comics at the end of the month... and some months, they don't get all of their Dynamite comics, so there are months where I get two issues of my fave Dynamite comics. One cool thing they did do though? They send me the DCBS Retailer Variant cover for Masks without me ordering it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
          Train of thought, because I was going to say that it's not necessarily a mystery MAN, but if we're going to see some of the PSP characters in there, wouldn't Masquerade have made an awful lof of sense?
          Not sure if you're implying time travel, or that this isn't the PSP universe. Because the miniseries pretty much covered Miss Masque's origin in detail. Or you can assume we've already established it's not the PSP universe by virtue of having Black Terror and Green Lama in 1938, a couple of years before their actual appearance in real-world time.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
            Not sure if you're implying time travel, or that this isn't the PSP universe. Because the miniseries pretty much covered Miss Masque's origin in detail. Or you can assume we've already established it's not the PSP universe by virtue of having Black Terror and Green Lama in 1938, a couple of years before their actual appearance in real-world time.
            I personally don't view the Masks Lama and Terror as the PSP versions, but I have the odd feeling that Black Terror's appearance in Masks has some kind of meaning that may lead to something non-PSP related.
            Dynamite Entertainment
            Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

I don't recall the Masquerade mini in great detail now. Unless told otherwise, I'm assuming that Lama and Terror are the same characters that will eventually end up in PSP. Masks takes place before they are "urned" so that works for me. Though I get your point, I'm not terribly concerned with real world time.

Was Masquerade (Dynamite's version) not around in 1939 as well? I don't recall now.
              Last edited by Captain Canuck; 04-26-2013, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• It's like with the whole shared universe topic, make of it what you choose to. If you want to believe they're the same characters than you're free to do so unless Dynamite comes out and say's that they're absolutely not, but if you choose to believe they're not than go for it. I kind of like the open-ended feel of it all, it's as if there is no limit to the possibilities here and as a fan I appreciate that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                  I don't recall the Masquerade mini in great detail now. Unless told otherwise, I'm assuming that Lama and Terror are the same characters that will eventually end up in PSP. Masks takes place before they are "urned" so that works for me. Though I get your point, I'm not terribly concerned with real world time.

Was Masquerade (Dynamite's version) not around in 1939 as well? I don't recall now.
                  They did a bunch of 2-page origins synopses for most of the PSP characters that appeared as backups, but very few of these referenced any kind of actual dates, so it's fair to say that Black Terror and Green Lama's origin can have taken place a couple of months, or a couple of years, prior to their first appearance in comic books -- or you could also say that whatever isn't established in the PSP titles (as opposed to the original Golden Age comic books) doesn't necessarily apply in the PSP universe.

On the other hand, Miss Masque's origin as a postwar heroine is covered in specific detail in the Masquerade miniseries. Her first appearance in comic books was in Exciting Comics #51, September 1946, and Dynamite's origin story seems to stick to that time frame pretty closely. While there's usually a little wiggle room to be had date-wise, the pre-war, WWII, and post-war time frames are pretty sharply delineated.
                  DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

On the other hand, Miss Masque's origin as a postwar heroine is covered in specific detail in the Masquerade miniseries. Her first appearance in comic books was in Exciting Comics #51, September 1946, and Dynamite's origin story seems to stick to that time frame pretty closely. While there's usually a little wiggle room to be had date-wise, the pre-war, WWII, and post-war time frames are pretty sharply delineated.
                    I went to her bio on the Dynamite website and they refer to her as one of the heroes who emerged after the war so yeah, if they're being consistent she couldn't have appeared (or at least the Dynamite-established version couldn't have).

This is at least consistent with my personal perception that the Lama and Terror characters are the eventual PSP ones. I haven't checkd the timing on those guys...and won't so as not to pop my own bubble.

Comment

• I get the odd feeling that the mysterious person in issue #6 isn't going to be anyone new, maybe The Spider or The Clock, as in a good version or something. I can't see it being Doc Savage or The Avenger for whatever reason. I guess we will all find out on Wednesday who it is. Man, this book has so many great pulp character and classic golden age superheroes that I am in heaven each and every month, hopefully chapter two isn't too far behind (if there is one at all).

Love MASKS!

Comment

• I doubt it's the Spider (no hat), but I'm not sure who it might be. I thought it might be put there in expectations of getting a character or characters.
                        Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                        Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                        http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• MASKS #3 was pretty action packed but didn't answer the question as to who the mystery man was at the end of issue #6, unless I missed something on my first read through. I'm guessing it was just one of those random helpers that The Spider got to tag along. Issue #7 was pretty darn good though, it featured some great art and some pretty fantastic writing, but my only complaint would be that some of the dialogue was a bit cheesy and has been here and there throughout the series. But I just chalk it up to this being the 30's and these heroes playing the part.

I hope to see all the heroes fighting alongside eachother in the finale, having Green Hornet all tied up is totally taking him out of the action and away from the story so seeing him back in the fray will be nice.

Comment

• ***Potential Spoilers in my Response Below***

Originally posted by TheRetroVideoGameAddict View Post
                            MASKS #3 was pretty action packed but didn't answer the question as to who the mystery man was at the end of issue #6, unless I missed something on my first read through. I'm guessing it was just one of those random helpers that The Spider got to tag along. Issue #7 was pretty darn good though, it featured some great art and some pretty fantastic writing, but my only complaint would be that some of the dialogue was a bit cheesy and has been here and there throughout the series. But I just chalk it up to this being the 30's and these heroes playing the part.

I hope to see all the heroes fighting alongside eachother in the finale, having Green Hornet all tied up is totally taking him out of the action and away from the story so seeing him back in the fray will be nice.
                            It looked to me like it was The Spider at the end of #6 since he wasn't with Bat/Zorro and he was in this one. A little disappointing then.

I agree about Green Hornet. All he's done in this is get punked so I'd like to see him contribute a bit more in the last issue.

I admit that I'm not crazy about the art. I find there are times I'm not certain who's talking. Lots of outline shots during fight scenes and such. I did love the image of the Legion coming over the bridge. The colours are real good, IMO.

Anyway, some complaints aside, I'll be sad to see this thing end.

Comment

• I called it! I knew it would be The Spider, I felt like the "mystery man" would have been kind of a letdown, but the book as a whole was still really enjoyable so I'm fine with it.

Comment

• Loved it! I wonder if "Mack" at the beginning is going to be The Avenger? If you remember he was changing a tire, and since the hype around The Avenger possibly coming to Dynamite is out there I figured I'd put two and two together.

Sad, only one issue left after this action pakced number 7, hopefully we get to see The Clock in action as well as GH released and fighting alongside his buddies.

Comment

Working...
                                X