MASKS series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by positronic View Post
    This is a common low-angle forced-perspective shot. I'm sure N.W.A. didn't exactly invent it either. Besides the angle, Ross' painting isn't even that close.
    I think he was just commenting on how similar it was, especially with the gun pointed downward and the hats. I found it funny.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

I think Black Terror and Green Lama will be closer to the original golden age versions than the PSP versions. For one thing the setting is in the 1930s and for another GH and Kato are the traditional and not the "dynamite version" (obvious that kato is a guy here an not a girl)

Comment

Why wouldn't you just order one here?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Green-Lama...+lama+volume+1

...and while you're at it, you can order Volumes 2 and 3 as well. Together, Volumes 1-3 collect the COMPLETE pulp adventures of The Green Lama. These are print-on-demand books, so you're unlikely to find any of these sitting on the shelves of your local Barnes & Noble.
        Or, better yet, order through the publisher's site at Altuspress.com? And then you can also browse the Press' other excellent pulp hero reprints!

Comment

Originally posted by BatHobbit View Post
          GH and Kato are the traditional and not the "dynamite version" (obvious that kato is a guy here an not a girl)
          Sure they are. They're the Matt Wagner versions from DE's Green Hornet Year One. And what else would you expect in a story set in 1938?

They will have to futz things around a bit, since neither Green Lama nor Black Terror existed yet in 1938. But remember, this is a parallel world where Zorro exists in 1938!
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by Tulku View Post
            Or, better yet, order through the publisher's site at Altuspress.com? And then you can also browse the Press' other excellent pulp hero reprints!
            Tulku, Altus Press confounds me by zigging when I want them to zag. For every Green Lama, Black Bat, Dr. Death, Secret 6, or Secret Agent X reprint, they dig up something I'd previously never heard of. Meanwhile, I am grinding my teeth waiting for collections of The Moon Man, Green Ghost, Doctor Satan, Dusty Ayres and his Battle Birds, Terence X. O'Leary's War Birds and others that I've only read about and have rarely if ever been reprinted. In summary, kudos to Altus Press, I love you, you frustrating bastards.

BTW, the print-on-demand provider is CreateSpace, which is a subsidiary of Amazon. So either way, the printed books are coming from Amazon.
            Last edited by positronic; 07-13-2012, 01:42 AM.
            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
              I think he was just commenting on how similar it was, especially with the gun pointed downward and the hats. I found it funny.
              Is it too late to change the title from Masks to The Hat Squad?

Comment

This is going to be AWESOME! I love all of these characters and I love that they will be using Matt Wagner's Year One version of Hornet and Kato, that's a great start to what should be a great limited series!

Comment

My only fear with this series is that the writer will struggle to differentiate between the characters. Shadow, Spider, and Green Hornet all follow the same hero archetype (millionaire, long coat, mask, fedora, guns). Yes Hornet is typically a non lethal hero unlike the others and Shadow does have his psychic abilities but still. . . very similar characters at first glance.

I also hope that the book does not get so bogged down with "hero" characters that it neglects the supporting cast. We see Kato will appear but what about the Shadow's agents or Margo Lane? Zorro will be trickier since he is being plucked out of his usual setting but it would be nice to see Don Alejandro and some of his supporting cast as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TheReader View Post
                    This is going to be AWESOME! I love all of these characters and I love that they will be using Matt Wagner's Year One version of Hornet and Kato, that's a great start to what should be a great limited series!
                    Personally I would love a

-Green Hornet Year Two from Matt Wagner :-)

Not to Mention a

-Death-Defying Devil (DDD) Year One
                    -Green Lama Year One
                    -Black Terror Year One
                    -Pyroman Year One

-Black Bat Year One
                    -The Spider Year One
                    (Classic costume design)

To start with :-)

Comment

Not a huge fan of "year one" books myself. I tend to not like prequels and origin stories and in almost all cases I would rather see what happens next in the main story than read something when I know how it will end.

Comment

As much as I LOVE the Green Hornet that's being published today by DE I would say Matt Wagners finely crafted Year One has become my difinitive GH interpitation and I absolutely adored the 12 issue series. As for this Masks mini, count me 1000000% in. I LOVE the pulp heroes from Dynamite and I am massively geeked over this crossover event!

Comment

In anticipation for this Masks series I re-read all of my Green Hornet Year One, The Spider, and The Shadow books published from Dynamite and I'm currently re-reading Green Hornet 1-25 just for the hell of it (on issue #17). Also, I think I may even check out Zorro, even though I've truly never been a fan of his but Dynamite has a crazy way of making me love characters I've never cared about before.
                          Last edited by manga4life; 07-15-2012, 10:03 AM.

Comment

For me, Dynamite hit the bullsye with The Shadow, then split the arrow with The Spider and now with Masks I couldn't be more excited. Dynamite is KING for me right now and I couldn't be happier.

Comment

Who's in and Who's out??

Have to say I'm pretty excited about this. It makes Moonstone's Return of the Originals: The Battle for L.A. look weak by comparison. Scratching my head over the inclusion of Zorro, though. Obviously must be some descendant of the original (although I quickly tired of this idea when it was used so many times in the old Republic serials). You take Zorro out of his usual milieu and he's not really Zorro any more by my reckoning -- seeing Zorro in a (relatively) modern urban environment (sans Toranado) seems too out of place. To quoter writer Chris Roberson from the CBR interview, "The farther and farther away you get from the type of setting that these characters work best the less appeal they have." I agree.They have so many other characters in here, they could easily have skipped him. I hasten to add that I really like Zorro in his own DE series.

Another thing I noticed right away was The Spider's gun is not the same as it is in his own series -- then it hit me -- of course, this isn't exactly the same Spider, but a version that's much closer to the original pulp character. No laser sights on guns in 1938.

I never noticed before how short The Shadow's cape is. That doesn't seem quite right.
                              I have to agree with you, Pos. I'm not sure I want to see Zorro included. He seems to be from an earlier period, and to just throw him in seems wrong.

I would have been REALLY happy to see The SHADOW, (Margo Lane, too), The SPIDER, The BLACK BAT, and GREEN HORNET and KATO. (At least, for the first limited series.) To just throw someone like Zorro "into a modern urban environment", doesn't seem quite right. But maybe they know what they're doing.

[And as much as I want to see the return of the PSP heroes, I'm scratching MY head over the inclusion of Black Terror and
                              .... well, GREEN LAMA doesn't seem too out of place. He'll fit right in.]

If Roberson wants to write PSP, I would love to see him handle all those Golden Age heroes.
                              But they, each of them, need to be developed as 3 dimensional characters rather than just "suits".

A lot of us would like to see The Original Golden Age DAREDEVIL, BLACK TERROR, MAGNO and DAVEY, The Clown, THE FACE, LASH LIGHTNING, LIGHTNING GIRL, THE RAVEN, CRIMEBUSTER, IRONJAW, THE CLAW, The Flame and Flame Girl, Miss Masque, Marvelo, SkyMan, Samson, BLUE BEETLE,(call him: THE BLUE SCARAB, if nothing else.)....AND all the rest of them return.

(But for me, I'd rather keep the pulp heroes I mentioned together.)

Wonder what ol' Doc Savage is doing these days????
                              Last edited by magnoanddavey; 07-22-2012, 03:29 AM.

Comment

I am looking forward to this project.

I also want that "Green Hornet Year Two" project mentioned by Renaud!

Comment

Working...
                                X