No announcement yet.

MASKS series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the most anticipated Crossover Events in quite some time.

Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
    I am looking forward to this project.

I also want that "Green Hornet Year Two" project mentioned by Renaud!
    I'm looking forward to this project, too. This is probably one of the most exciting things to look forward to for quite some time.

Comment

This (issue #1 of MASKS) will be Alex Ross' first full interior art since DC's JUSTICE maxi-series. Incredibly, as prolific as he's been on covers (and contributing some interior pages to both PROJECT SUPERPOWERS and KIRBY: GENESIS), this will be his first full interior artwork for Dynamite. Ahh, if only he could do the entire series as well...
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

If only Ross could do the entire series!!

Originally posted by positronic View Post
        This (issue #1 of MASKS) will be Alex Ross' first full interior art since DC's JUSTICE maxi-series. Incredibly, as prolific as he's been on covers (and contributing some interior pages to both PROJECT SUPERPOWERS and KIRBY: GENESIS), this will be his first full interior artwork for Dynamite. Ahh, if only he could do the entire series as well...
        I totally agree.!! ....if only.

He has 'racked" up quite a collection of wonderful covers. It will be nice to see his interiors for #1.

Do I worry who will follow.??? Yeah.
        Last edited by magnoanddavey; 08-04-2012, 02:39 AM.

Comment

I wonder if maybe Alex Ross could do an entire series sometime down the road? Something like a sequel to masks would be great. I would love a Golden Age Green Hornet/Kato oversized one-shot similar to the Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Shazam books he did a few years ago.

Comment

Alex Ross--interior art--- writer with a great story: sure thing!!

Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
            I wonder if maybe Alex Ross could do an entire series sometime down the road? Something like a sequel to masks would be great. I would love a Golden Age Green Hornet/Kato oversized one-shot similar to the Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Shazam books he did a few years ago.
            Yeah, that would be nice.
            I would choose The PROJECT: SUPERPOWERS for him to do the interiors. But let someone who can write, ---write it.

That would bring the buying public to DE. You MUST have a great story to go with his great art. A writer that could bring a QUALITY story would do it.
            And with Ross' covers and his interior art.... I don't think it could miss.

Even if he pencilled it, and had a great inker to ink it.... it could work.!!

You have to establish the Golden Age characters in the Golden Age '40's and then move them to the present with a great story. Establishing them as American patriots who believe in American values of the 1940's was key to their "character."

Since this isn't a PSP thread, I would like to see Alex Ross on a team-up of The SHADOW, DOC SAVAGE, THE SPIDER, and GREEN HORNET and KATO. That would "trip my trigger"!!

Who fights THE OCTOPUS?? Skull-Killer?? The AVENGER is out there, too.!!
            Last edited by magnoanddavey; 08-07-2012, 04:50 AM.

Comment

The Skull Killer was one of the weirdest pulp avengers ever. That's an excellent suggestion. The character is still under copyright by Argosy Communications, who assumed all ownership of the characters formerly published by Popular Publications (The Spider, G-8, Operator #5, The Green Lama).
              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Skull Killer lives!!

The Skull Killer was one of the weirdest pulp avengers ever. That's an excellent suggestion. The character is still under copyright by Argosy Communications, who assumed all ownership of the characters formerly published by Popular Publications (The Spider, G-8, Operator #5, The Green Lama).
                I've got a REALLY WILD comicbook of The Skull Killer!!
                Thanks for the compliment: "Excellent suggestion". I have to return the compliment with an appreciation about all you seem to be familiar with.

Too bad he's still under copyright. You guys know alot. I wonder why he is still under copyright when The Green Lama and The Spider are not.?? Or what???

Does anyone have a picture of him?? I'm not sure I can get pages of the comic posted on here....and some of the panels are a bit disturbing for the "faint of heart".

Hey, it's on the web. Check: Skull Killer. Then, Curse of the Octopus.!! By Gary Terry!! That's the comicbook I've got. I wonder what ever happened to Gary?? I was hoping for more of this stuff.

They don't make 'em like that anymore!!
                Last edited by magnoanddavey; 08-07-2012, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by magnoanddavey View Post
                  I've got a REALLY WILD comicbook of The Skull Killer!!
                  Thanks for the compliment: "Excellent suggestion". I have to return the compliment with an appreciation about all you seem to be familiar with.

Too bad he's still under copyright. You guys know alot. I wonder why he is still under copyright when The Green Lama and The Spider are not.?? Or what???

Does anyone have a picture of him?? I'm not sure I can get pages of the comic posted on here....and some of the panels are a bit disturbing for the "faint of heart".

Hey, it's on the web. Check: Skull Killer. Then, Curse of the Octopus.!! By Gary Terry!! That's the comicbook I've got. I wonder what ever happened to Gary?? I was hoping for more of this stuff.

They don't make 'em like that anymore!!
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	skllkllr_0001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	48638

Why you make us work so hard, magnoanddavey (you're not conjoined twins, are you?)...???

Here's the link for everyone else. Interesting, and very reminiscent of Michael T. Gilbert's work on Mr. Monster!

That was an underground comic that snuck under the copyright holder's radar. DE's The Spider is an authorized adaptation (as was Moonstone's). Not sure about Green Lama, because there are some distinctions between the pulp and comic book version, and the comic book version never had the copyright renewed. Been trying to get a straight answer on that one for a while.
                  Last edited by positronic; 08-09-2012, 11:47 AM.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]485[/ATTACH]

Why you make us work so hard, magnoanddavey (you're not conjoined twins, are you?)...???

Here's the link for everyone else. Interesting, and very reminiscent of Michael T. Gilbert's work on Mr. Monster!

That was an underground comic that snuck under the copyright holder's radar. DE's The Spider is an authorized adaptation (as was Moonstone's). Not sure about Green Lama, because there are some distinctions between the pulp and comic book version, and the comic book version never had the copyright renewed. Been trying to get a straight answer on that one for a while.
                    Thanks, again. You are "the man". Conjoined ?...maybe.
                    It's a bit edited, but probably for the best. I have always liked this comic and thought it had such a wonderful look to it. I was sorry that we never saw that second issue.

Skull Killer and The Octopus!! Nice match-up. They just don't make them like that anymore!! Unfortunately.

And, you're right. It does look a little like Gilbert's work.

I always wondered what happened to "Gary Terry".
                    I searched for more of his work for a long while without any luck. Well, I think there was another comic or two he did that I found ...but it wasn't Skull Killer. Lots of mood...and lots of ink.!!
                    Last edited by magnoanddavey; 08-09-2012, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Skull Killer and The Octopus!! Nice match-up. They just don't make them like that anymore!! Unfortunately.
                      In their original pulp magazine face-off, it was The Octopus, not the Skull Killer, who got cover billing:

Name:	The Octopus.jpg
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	48639

The 1975 Pulp Mania (love that name!) comic book is a sequel of sorts to The Octopus Vol. 1 No. 4 (the first three issues were actually a pulp called The Western Raider) story "The City Condemned to Hell", which explains the comic's references to Skull Killer's earlier encounter with The Octopus. Terry's artwork and lettering has a very authentic Golden Age feel to it; were it not for the length of the story (such long stories being uncommon in the Golden Age), one could almost believe this was reprinted from a 1939 comic book.

Yes, there was a second pulp adventure for The Skull Killer! For some reason the editors over at Popular Publications decided to remodel their pulp super-criminal. What was obviously intended to be a second issue of The Octopus became instead The Scorpion Vol. 1 No. 1. Once again, it was the Skull Killer who opposed the evil plans of The Scorpion. Unfortunately, neither one of the supercrooks caught on with the reading public, and there ended the pulp career of the Skull Killer.

Name:	The Scorpion.jpg
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	48640

"The City Condemned to Hell" has been reprinted in the first Spider omnibus released by Baen Books some few years back. As far as I'm aware, The Scorpion story ("Satan's Incubator") hasn't been reprinted. The two novels together would make a nice Skull Killer collection for Matt Moring over at Altus Press. Maybe he could squeeze in a reprint of the comic book too.

I have another comic done by Pulp Mania/Gary Terry: Atom, Robot Adventurer. Also featuring another Golden Age hero, The Green Turtle! (You can't make this stuff up.)
                      Last edited by positronic; 08-10-2012, 05:23 AM.

Comment

In their original pulp magazine face-off, it was The Octopus, not the Skull Killer, who got cover billing:

[ATTACH]486[/ATTACH]

The 1975 Pulp Mania (love that name!) comic book is a sequel of sorts to The Octopus Vol. 1 No. 4 (the first three issues were actually a pulp called The Western Raider) story "The City Condemned to Hell", which explains the comic's references to Skull Killer's earlier encounter with The Octopus. Terry's artwork and lettering has a very authentic Golden Age feel to it; were it not for the length of the story (such long stories being uncommon in the Golden Age), one could almost believe this was reprinted from a 1939 comic book.

Yes, there was a second pulp adventure for The Skull Killer! For some reason the editors over at Popular Publications decided to remodel their pulp super-criminal. What was obviously intended to be a second issue of The Octopus became instead The Scorpion Vol. 1 No. 1. Once again, it was the Skull Killer who opposed the evil plans of The Scorpion. Unfortunately, neither one of the supercrooks caught on with the reading public, and there ended the pulp career of the Skull Killer.

[ATTACH]487[/ATTACH]

"The City Condemned to Hell" has been reprinted in the first Spider omnibus released by Baen Books some few years back. As far as I'm aware, The Scorpion story ("Satan's Incubator") hasn't been reprinted. The two novels together would make a nice Skull Killer collection for Matt Moring over at Altus Press. Maybe he could squeeze in a reprint of the comic book too.

I have another comic done by Pulp Mania/Gary Terry: Atom, Robot Adventurer. Also featuring another Golden Age hero, The Green Turtle! (You can't make this stuff up.)
                        Yeap, that is the one I have, too. Atom, Robot Adventurer and .... The Green Turtle. Nice "Gary Terry" stuff. I'm still impressed with what you have and know.
                        I thought The Green Turtle appeared in the Golden Age. Right?? Blazing Comics!! Cover feature on #1-4. And ya can't make this stuff up!! You are right, sir.
                        Last edited by magnoanddavey; 08-11-2012, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Whoops...! No sooner do I go and post that The Scorpion No. 1 has never been reprinted than the guys over at Radio Archives go and release an e-book version of said pulp novel:

Name:	The Scorpion_e-book.jpg
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	48641

Have to admit up front that I haven't thus far been a big fan of digital books or comics. I don't own an iPad or similar tablet -- still waiting for that market to shake out and the prices to drop. What I'd really want is a reader with a color 12" diagonal screen (same size as a comic book) that will display an entire comic page full-size (admittedly this is not a major concern for the average consumer) and I've yet to see that in a tablet device costing less than $1200 ($400 seems like the right price point to me). I've always been more of a tactile guy who likes the feel of paper in my hand. But I have to say, if anything would sorely tempt me, this is it. This baby is one of the holy grails of pulp novels. At $3 for the download, it's certainly worth it for someone who has a tablet already. I find reading these on my 17" laptop or desktop PC at work somewhat tedious, with all the scrolling involved. I suppose I could just download the thing as a PDF and print it myself, but seeing as how they already have the PDFs I don't know why Radio Archives wouldn't partner up with a print-on-demand service like lulu.com or create space and offer the printed books themselves. I'd pay $15 for a nice printed copy of this.
                          Last edited by positronic; 08-11-2012, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Positronic

Whoops...! No sooner do I go and post that The Scorpion No. 1 has never been reprinted than the guys over at Radio Archives go and release an e-book version of said pulp novel:

[ATTACH]488[/ATTACH]

Have to admit up front that I haven't thus far been a big fan of digital books or comics. I don't own an iPad or similar tablet -- still waiting for that market to shake out and the prices to drop. What I'd really want is a reader with a color 12" diagonal screen (same size as a comic book) that will display an entire comic page full-size (admittedly this is not a major concern for the average consumer) and I've yet to see that in a tablet device costing less than $1200 ($400 seems like the right price point to me). I've always been more of a tactile guy who likes the feel of paper in my hand. But I have to say, if anything would sorely tempt me, this is it. This baby is one of the holy grails of pulp novels. At $3 for the download, it's certainly worth it for someone who has a tablet already. I find reading these on my 17" laptop or desktop PC at work somewhat tedious, with all the scrolling involved. I suppose I could just download the thing as a PDF and print it myself, but seeing as how they already have the PDFs I don't know why Radio Archives wouldn't partner up with a print-on-demand service like lulu.com or create space and offer the printed books themselves. I'd pay $15 for a nice printed copy of this.
                            Thanks, for the info. I wished they would reprint this baby. I like touching the paper, too.!!

I am really looking forward to seeing this "event"... teaming these Pulp Heroes!!

Let's face it, to see this many Pulp Heroes together is like a "geek-gasium".

THE SHADOW, THE SPIDER, BLACK BAT, GREEN LAMA and the others. (The only "big guys" missing are DOC SAVAGE and maybe THE AVENGER.)

(We don't have to count OPERATOR 5, PHANTOM DETECTIVE, G-8 and his Battle Aces, CAPTAIN SATAN, SECRET AGENT X, SKULL-KILLER or even CAPTAIN ZERO.)

This is an EVENT that's really worth the wait, even though I hate waiting. I think a lot of fun and enjoyment lies ahead.

OK, I wished Skull-Killer was in there.
                            Last edited by magnoanddavey; 08-15-2012, 03:28 AM.

Comment

[ATTACH]486[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]487[/ATTACH]

How 'bout that ad for Skull-Killer #1.!! Geeeeesh. I search for months for that second issue.

Comment

How 'bout that ad for Skull-Killer #1.!! Geeeeesh. I search for months for that second issue.
                                Speaking of which, did any of these comics ever see print?

Name:	Pulp Mania Gary Terry_compressed.jpg
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	48643
                                Gary Terry seems like a guy who had ambitious plans. It's hard to know how to categorize these, but they seem to fit the fanzine category most closely, since they were self-published and were mostly homages to earlier comic and pulp characters and styles. Unless I miss my guess, Atom Robot Adventurer may just have been the first American comic to be drawn in the manga style.

According to this page, Gary Terry also did the Johnny Bravo strip for DC's Cartoon Cartoons comic book. Weird. I had seen that listing on comicbookdb.com, and assumed it was an error, some other guy with the same name. But maybe not. Still can't seem to dredge up any real info on the guy. Might be a safe bet that he became an animator working for H-B/Cartoon Network, and that's how he got the comic gig for DC.
                                Last edited by positronic; 08-17-2012, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X