MASKS series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by positronic View Post
    Speaking of which, did any of these comics ever see print?
    [ATTACH]490[/ATTACH]
    Gary Terry seems like a guy who had ambitious plans. It's hard to know how to categorize these, but they seem to fit the fanzine category most closely, since they were self-published and were mostly homages to earlier comic and pulp characters and styles. Unless I miss my guess, Atom Robot Adventurer may just have been the first American comic to be drawn in the manga style.

According to this page, Gary Terry also did the Johnny Bravo strip for DC's Cartoon Cartoons comic book. Weird. I had seen that listing on comicbookdb.com, and assumed it was an error, some other guy with the same name. But maybe not. Still can't seem to dredge up any real info on the guy. Might be a safe bet that he became an animator working for H-B/Cartoon Network, and that's how he got the comic gig for DC.
    I know I've always wondered where he went and why didn't he get a comicbook gig. That Black Cobra character was most intriguing to me. I never could find any of these books. I suspect they were never published. Somebody prove me wrong, please.!!

Comment

Just so you don't think I forgot this thread was about MASKS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	masks1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	48644Click image for larger version

Name:	Masks2.jpg
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	48645Click image for larger version

Name:	masks3.jpg
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	48646Click image for larger version

Name:	masks4.jpg
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	48647Click image for larger version

Name:	masks5.jpg
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	48648
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Love the logo! Gotta say, I'm torn between the Alex Ross and the Shadow wrap-around covers.

Comment

Three MORE covers for MASKS #1

But WAIT -- there's even more! NOW how much would you pay?

MASKS #1 - Jae Lee cover

MASKS #1 - Francesco Francavilla cover

MASKS #1 - Ardian Syaf cover

Man, that's going to be one torn gorn.

I'm surprised they didn't go with one cover for each of the main characters where that character is a little larger and the others are more in the background.

No idea what the percentage breakdown is on these cover variations, but I'm sure some of them are going to be hard to get.
          Last edited by positronic; 08-18-2012, 08:56 AM.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

I would have killed for a Steranko cover!

Comment

A Steranko Cover dream.

I would have killed for a Steranko cover!
              yEAH, he would have been perfect to do those characters. We can only dream.!!

Comment

But WAIT -- there's even more! NOW how much would you pay?

MASKS #1 - Jae Lee cover

MASKS #1 - Francesco Francavilla cover

MASKS #1 - Ardian Syaf cover

Man, that's going to be one torn gorn.
                LOL Very true, Positronic!

Comment

Did they say how many issues this is supposed to run? 6, 8, 12? Already mentally preparing myself for the delays after the first few issues...

Comment

All of those covers are breath-takingly beautiful. I will most likely purchase the Alex Ross version and then get the whole collection once they are reprinted in the collected tpb edition.

Comment

Something to read while you're waiting for MASKS...

The original trilogy of The Spider pulp novels that Chris Roberson based the story of MASKS on.

Name:	spempire.jpg
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	48651

Read more about the book at fighttheempirestate.com

Comment

And speaking of The Skull Killer... his first adventure as the nemesis of The Octopus has just been released by RadioArchives.com as an audiobook, #13 in a series of "Will Murray's Pulp Classics":

Name:	radioarchives-audiobook13-octopus.jpg
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	48653

Hear an audio sample from the book.

This is so cool. I can't wait to get this and listen. I hope they do an audiobook adaptation of The Scorpion novel as well.
                        Last edited by positronic; 08-25-2012, 04:39 AM.

Comment

The fact is, this DID "happen here" to a certain extent. Do some research on the "Blue Eagle" symbol, and you'll discover that Much of FDR's new deal, was based on the economic policies of Germany and Italy. Hitler actually praised FDR for taking the reins of the economy. FDR's Blue Eagle was very much meant to replicate the successes of the Germain NAZI or the Italian fascisti symbols. Perhaps we have to think "The Spider" and other Pulps for reminding people that "it can happen here."

Comment

Originally posted by skyorbit View Post
                            The fact is, this DID "happen here" to a certain extent. Do some research on the "Blue Eagle" symbol, and you'll discover that Much of FDR's new deal, was based on the economic policies of Germany and Italy. Hitler actually praised FDR for taking the reins of the economy. FDR's Blue Eagle was very much meant to replicate the successes of the Germain NAZI or the Italian fascisti symbols. Perhaps we have to think "The Spider" and other Pulps for reminding people that "it can happen here."
                            Good point, sky. I usually think of FDR as a pretty great President--- but Others from that time thought of him as kindof a dictator. He threatened to "stack" the Supreme Court and a host of other things we would look on as not so good for a free Republic.

I'm looking forward to the story and seeing these GREAT Pulp Heroes "brush up" against each other. The more we see about this, the better it looks.

To see The Shadow, Green Hornet & Kato, and The Spider in a story together would have been enough. The others will just be icing on the cake.
                            Last edited by magnoanddavey; 08-27-2012, 12:49 AM.

Comment

The historical truth of 1930s European fascism has a long reach in America. FDR was a strong supporter of Mussolini throughout the 1930s. Radio City Music Hall in NYC had a mural devoted to the hero Mussolini in their lobby that had to be painted over once we went to war with Italy. Even support for Hitler was not uncommon in Depression-era America, not for his politics, but for his leadership in rebuilding the devastated German economy. We wanted in on that action. There were many that were pushing FDR to be MORE like Mussolini.

Gabriel Over the White House was a 1932 movie from Wm Randolph Hearst (inspiration for Citizen Kane) about America getting just such a dictator by way of a corrupt politician who is "possessed" by the angel Gabriel and who desolves Congress and takes direct command of all authority to fix America.

Even more terrifying: the Nazis genocide of the Jews was directly inspired by the American eugenics movement of the early 1900s. Many Americans like Margaret Sanger were openly praised by the Nazis for wanting to rid the nation of what she called "undesirable races". (She was referring mostly to black Americans.) The eugenics movement would push for the termination of the blind, deaf and other people with handicaps, not just as infants, but even well into adulthood since they weren't living "enjoyable lives". That was here in America.

The propaganda used by the Nazis were inspired by pro-war propaganda put out by the Wilson administration. Wilson also famously employed citizens to secretly spy on their neighbors, and report any who voiced anti-war statements during WWI. Over 100,000 Americans were jailed for that "crime". Another whitewash bit of historical trivia. This is the same President who put our currency into the hands of a private group of bankers called the Federal Reserve. Andrew Jackson had campaigned for the Presidency against shutting down just such an institution a hundred years earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMicrozone View Post
                                The historical truth of 1930s European fascism has a long reach in America. FDR was a strong supporter of Mussolini throughout the 1930s. Radio City Music Hall in NYC had a mural devoted to the hero Mussolini in their lobby that had to be painted over once we went to war with Italy. Even support for Hitler was not uncommon in Depression-era America, not for his politics, but for his leadership in rebuilding the devastated German economy. We wanted in on that action. There were many that were pushing FDR to be MORE like Mussolini.

Gabriel Over the White House was a 1932 movie from Wm Randolph Hearst (inspiration for Citizen Kane) about America getting just such a dictator by way of a corrupt politician who is "possessed" by the angel Gabriel and who desolves Congress and takes direct command of all authority to fix America.

Even more terrifying: the Nazis genocide of the Jews was directly inspired by the American eugenics movement of the early 1900s. Many Americans like Margaret Sanger were openly praised by the Nazis for wanting to rid the nation of what she called "undesirable races". (She was referring mostly to black Americans.) The eugenics movement would push for the termination of the blind, deaf and other people with handicaps, not just as infants, but even well into adulthood since they weren't living "enjoyable lives". That was here in America.

The propaganda used by the Nazis were inspired by pro-war propaganda put out by the Wilson administration. Wilson also famously employed citizens to secretly spy on their neighbors, and report any who voiced anti-war statements during WWI. Over 100,000 Americans were jailed for that "crime". Another whitewash bit of historical trivia. This is the same President who put our currency into the hands of a private group of bankers called the Federal Reserve. Andrew Jackson had campaigned for the Presidency against shutting down just such an institution a hundred years earlier.
                                Good job. Yeah, it was a time that was pretty shakey for this free Republic. Very troubling. And "white-washed" .
                                Let that be a lesson to us.

I think it would be cool if MASKS would cover some of this, ....and our heroes make things "right". I would be pleased with the story if these kinds of things were covered.

I wished they could recreate this mood in the story, and have the heroes be instrumental in straightening things out. I think things were pretty dire.

Maybe a little like now. The Middle-East isn't looking very good nor is the financial stability of the World.
                                Looks like nothing but fun comin' our way.!!
                                Last edited by magnoanddavey; 08-28-2012, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X