No announcement yet.

MASKS series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THE SPIDER VS. THE EMPIRE STATE contains a very informative foreword by Thomas Krabacher of California State University, "Blackshirts Over Broadway", that places the pulp stories in the political context of 1938 and cites numerous influences on Norvell Page's Black Police Trilogy -- and indeed, the 1932 film Gabriel Over the White House was one of them, along with Governor Huey Long of Louisiana (nicknamed "The Kingfish"), a failed military coup in 1933 to seize control of the White House which inspired Sinclair Lewis' 1935 novel It Can't Happen Here, and various pro-fascism political leaders and movements in the 1930s.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
      THE SPIDER VS. THE EMPIRE STATE contains a very informative foreword by Thomas Krabacher of California State University, "Blackshirts Over Broadway", that places the pulp stories in the political context of 1938 and cites numerous influences on Norvell Page's Black Police Trilogy -- and indeed, the 1932 film Gabriel Over the White House was one of them, along with Governor Huey Long of Louisiana (nicknamed "The Kingfish"), a failed military coup in 1933 to seize control of the White House which inspired Sinclair Lewis' 1935 novel It Can't Happen Here, and various pro-fascism political leaders and movements in the 1930s.
      "The Kingfish" was "assassinated" but I am unfamiliar with the failed Military coup in '33. Yikes.!! Familiar with Sinclair Lewis' novel, though. Where does "7 days in May" come in.?? Saw the movie with Douglas and Lancaster. Any relation to the coup??

One thing that stuck with me is Madison Square Gardens full of Nazis during a rally.

Hey, thanks for all the information. Makes me really want to read our MASKS comic and see how it's all handled.

The 1930's were "hard times". Sometimes I'm amazed that we've struggled through. Powerful forces now threaten to pull us under again.
      Last edited by magnoanddavey; 08-29-2012, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by magnoanddavey View Post
        I am unfamiliar with the failed Military coup in '33. Yikes.!! Familiar with Sinclair Lewis' novel, though.
        According to Thomas Krabacher's foreword...

Click image for larger version

Name:	It Can't Happen Here_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	48654
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Really awesome preview over at CBR of the pages done by Alex, my interest in this series grows with each passing day!
          Dynamite Entertainment
          Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

From a purely economic definition, the policies of FDR, Mussolini, and Hitler were the same. FDR's policies didn't have the racist element, but as somebody mentioned earlier the eugenics part of European fascism originated in the US too. In fact Lincoln,'s not the great savior history makes him out to be either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYEUH...layer_embedded

Comment

Important background information for MASKS!!

Originally posted by skyorbit View Post
              From a purely economic definition, the policies of FDR, Mussolini, and Hitler were the same. FDR's policies didn't have the racist element, but as somebody mentioned earlier the eugenics part of European fascism originated in the US too. In fact Lincoln,'s not the great savior history makes him out to be either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYEUH...layer_embedded
              I'm glad we're "exploring" the background "setting" for our story in MASKS.

Any DE fan can be enriched by reading the posts you guys are making us aware of... in preparation of our story.

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                According to Thomas Krabacher's foreword...

[ATTACH]501[/ATTACH]
                Smedley is ok in my book.

Another plug on this thread:
                Smedley Butler would like to see the return of Project: SuperPowers. (He told me, personally.)

And, yes, I'm looking forward to this first issue of MASKS, too. It should be really great.!!
                I'm REALLY GLAD ---that THE SHADOW and GREEN HORNET and KATO "brush-up" against each other.

Great anticipation at the other meetings.
                These kinds of things make comics GREAT --- in my opinion.

Kind of a "dream"--"wish" fullfillment for so many pulp fans. And the visuals look GREAT!! We are really lucky to have Alex Ross do the first issue.

Comment

Hey, I am new to Dynamite and I am starting to buy their comics in November. I have Masks #1 on pre-order because I heard that the writer is good and Ross is amazing. Will this be a good introduction or will I need to read a certain book before this? I am excited to start reading Dynamite!!

Comment

MASKS is cover-featured in this week's COMIC SHOP NEWS!

I urge anyone anticipating MASKS to pick up this week's COMIC SHOP NEWS (courtesy of your friendly neighborhood comics outlet). It contains a front-page article on the series, featuring quotes from all the principals, publisher Nick Barrucci, artist/designer Alex Ross, and writer Chris Roberson. While I won't transcribe the whole article here, I will toss you a few nuggets of interest:

Regarding the involvement of Zorro:
                    CHRIS ROBERSON: "Well, clearly the character of Don Diego de la Vega would be pretty long in the tooth by 1938 even if he didn't die, but but there's a long tradition of heroic legacies with these characters, and with Zorro in particular. So we'll be seeing a Zorro, just not necessarily the Zorro."

So... something like the "modern" (1937) version of Zorro featured in the Republic Pictures' serial Zorro Rides Again, where actor John Carroll plays James Vega, a descendant of the original Zorro. Come to think of it, the Green Hornet is nearly 80 years old now, so if DE can update him to our present, then updating Zorro from the 1820s to the 1930s isn't all that different...

Regarding the potential involvement of characters from Project Superpowers:
                    ALEX ROSS: "Well, let's just say that you're on to something."

Well, we'd already read the rumors to that effect, but... YESSSS!!!! Nice to hear it confirmed at the source. So let's see, we've got Green Lama, Black Terror and maybe a couple of others... and Miss Fury (the original catsuit-wearing fighting femme of the 1940s), all backdated a few years.

Regarding the interior art beyond issue #1:
                    ALEX ROSS: "Hopefully I'll continue contributing to the story overall, as well as doing covers and designs. The artist for subsequent issues will be a realist like myself, so that the artwork will be consistent with what I've already done."

My vote goes to Colton Worley! As long as it doesn't tear him away from The Spider for too long...

Regarding supporting characters who might subsequently spin off into their own books:
                    NICK BARRUCCI: "...we are looking at some of the characters for their own series. With the right pitch and creative team, you never know... We're taking this one step at a time."

The Black Bat, Green Lama, or Miss Fury, anyone...? Yes, please.

MASKS #1 (of an 8-issue limited series) is slated for a late November release
                    Last edited by positronic; 09-12-2012, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Kool. Thanks for the "heads-up"!

Comment

I don't know why, but I had a small "geek out" moment from the preview pages showing the Shadow taking out Kato hand-to-hand. (Shadow fanboy here!)

Comment

BLACK TERROR reappears!!

"Exciting Attack" when I saw Alex Ross' cover for MASKS #3 with bullets bouncing off The BLACK TERROR!!

No, I'm not going to mention PSP!!

Another Great cover, man.

Comment

WOW!

Comment

Just to touch on the mood of the US during this time. The KKK and other such groups were supporting Hitler and much more public then today.
                              In fact, some cities in the south had annual "KKK Days", where the members could prade down the street and have the people support them.
                              Preachers, on the radio, would give sermons about the dangers of supporting the new deal and allowing the various races to intermingle.
                              The 30's were a mixing of thoughts, feelings, and ideologies.
                              As mentioned above, it's amazing that the US managed to survive through those times.

Comment

MASKS #4 shipping in February 2013

Click image for larger version

Name:	Masks #4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	48702

Seen here on Alex Ross' cover to issue #4, from left to right, are our heroes in their civilian identities: Green Hornet & Kato, Zorro, The Black Terror, The Shadow, The Spider, Miss Fury, ???, and The Green Lama... Can anyone identify the second character from the right? Possibly The Black Bat?

Comment

Working...
                                X