No announcement yet.

MASKS series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe it is the Black Bat. It is the same people shown on Issue #3 (above) except that they are in costume on #3. He would be the guy behind the Hornet's head and that looks an awful lot like the Black Bat to me.

Comment

*BUMP*

MASKS #1 is ONE WEEK AWAY!! Pull out your wallets now, and don't let's be stingy... There will be cover variants a-plenty for this one, so please buy more than one to show your support!

OK, maybe I'm a little giddy with the excitement. Time to take my blood pressure medication...
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

I've only bought multiple covers before on one title (Nauck's Wildguard). Next week, I am SERIOUSLY considering getting every cover, as I cannot choose between them.

Comment

Midtown comics had (and may still have) Masks 1 for free to preorder. I hope my local shop has some of the variants. Gonna be getting a review copy Monday, too can't wait. I'll stop by and give you all a quick word on how good it is if you want.

Comment

So I've read issue #1 a couple times now...gotta say I love it. Don't want to say a lot about it now, but I can say that it is a great introduction and really makes you wish #2 could come out faster.

Comment

Masks #1

Just finished the first issue and I can't wait for the second, the art work is astounding and the story is flowing naturally, sometimes hard to pull off in big cross overs great work so far can't wait to read more.

Comment

Well, at least our 1930s Zorro now has a name -- Rafael Vega -- although he doesn't appear to actually BE the new Zorro at this point, just a struggling young artist who admires the historical Zorro (it isn't clear whether he's aware yet of his ancestor's heroic identity). Given that Dynamite chose to import non-locals to New York, like Rafael Vega, and Britt Reid and Kato from Chicago (which I still think should have been Detroit, where the radio show originated), I'm surprised they didn't fly in the Domino Lady from L.A. while they were at it, just to balance the group a little (and maybe give Miss Fury someone to talk to).

I was a little surprised that The Spider wasn't the one to first dig up the political conspiracy (given that he was the central character of the pulp trilogy that the plot here is based on). He just sort of popped in out of the blue to help out in the battle against the Black Police. It was nice to see a full-page advertisement for the paperback reprint of The Spider vs. The Empire State.

This Shadow seems to be more in character with his pulp incarnation than the one appearing in the regular DE Shadow series.

Too bad we didn't get to see Alex's renditions of Green Lama, Black Terror, Miss Fury (or is it Black Fury, as she was originally called?) and The Black Bat in this issue (sure, we still have all the iconic Ross covers to come in this series, but still).
                Last edited by positronic; 11-29-2012, 05:06 PM.
                DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Picked up my copy on the way home from work, and just finished it several minutes ago.
                  WOW!!!

I cannot believe how much I want the second issue, RIGHT NOW!
                  This is, with no doubt, the single best starting issue of a mini-series that I have read in years. From the first meeting between Green Hornet and Kato with The Shadow, to the final page, the story kept an excellent pace and had just the right mix of action and exposition. Having read the Spider stories this series is based on, I was a little worried that I would be reading the same story again, with just additional characters. I was wrong!

Seeing the beginnings of the new Zorro, Anthony Quinn(aka The Black Bat) showing his contempt at the new establishment, the uniforms of the new Black Police, and just the over all visuals presented in this book. All fulfill the raving pulp fanboy in me.
                  I do expect that some additional material will be presented in the next issue that will answer some of the questions. Like, how much does The Spider know about the Justice Party? Will we be getting a faithful version of The Black Bat? And, what brings the other heroes to the aid of New York?

Thank you Dynamite for bring together such an excellent creative team, and for having the courage to bring all these characters together in a single title.

Comment

Issue #1 was great. Can't wait for more and knowing we are going to be seeing Terror and Lama just makes it that much better.

Comment

What a fantastic first issue! Too bad Alex Ross won't be painting any more issues of this series and will be just doing covers as he mentioned in a CBR interview last week, but I'm at least glad he's involved with this series as he's well known for loving pulp heroes.

All in all amazing stuff here, the story was tight and the art was stunning and I'm loving how the book ended with The Spider trying to sound heroic and Green Hornet being more realistic, great touch.
                      Dynamite Entertainment
                      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Damn, issue #1 was amazing and I could help but to just love having all of these awesome characters together at the same time (aside from the hint of Zorro, don't like him at all). The art was lovely, the story was enjoyable, and the ending of the book made me shiver as I plowed through it like a kid running over an old couple in a candy store, I am all shades of excited for the second issue.......damn these month long waits.

I have an idea: I think It would be kind of cool to see DE put an imprint logo or a "line" logo on the pulp books to have them clumped together in a line of comics, it would be a nice way to separate them from the standard line of comics the company publishes.

Comment

Haven't had a chance to pick it up yet...

...but it sounds like it's a hit, thusfar.

My only problem is that I have nearly ZERO interest in the "Alex Ross-i-verse" characters (or, rather, the re-purposed out-of-copyright characters) that will also be appearing in the series. I think it's going to make it far too crowded but, I suppose, that remains to be seen.

Comment

This issue was fantastic. I had high expectations. I was very concerned how they would weave Zorro into this story as he is from a different era and location. But I am intrigued with how they have started to bring him in.

The art was AWESOME!!!! I know it is Alex Ross, but this even surpassed my expectations. It was like watching a movie. Can Dynamite clone Ross and put him on more titles?

Kato, it will be interesting to see how they balance time with the PSP characters. Having a few like Black Terror and Green Lama seems approrpriate. I have to admit, I am a bit fearful that Dynamite will pour them into Masks, instead of making a PSP chapter 3. I hope I am wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Britt68 View Post
                              Kato, it will be interesting to see how they balance time with the PSP characters. Having a few like Black Terror and Green Lama seems approrpriate. I have to admit, I am a bit fearful that Dynamite will pour them into Masks, instead of making a PSP chapter 3. I hope I am wrong.
                              It's a slight bit of genre-crashing to see pulp-style heroes together with superheroes. But I think the balance is about right. Green Lama has quasi-mystical/religious based powers, but as long as they lean more towards the pulp version of the character (as opposed to the Mac Raboy superhero version) I think they'll be fine. Miss Fury really has no super powers (unless you count the way her body is poured into that catsuit), leaving the Black Terror as the only real traditional comic-style superpowered hero. And since he has a dark and grim costume, his look isn't visually jarring compared to the others. From the looks of the covers, I'm guessing he's being played as a stand-in for the early version of Superman, which to me is a concept that is very interesting to play with, since in the real world, the superheroes actually did supplant the pulp-style heroes in the same way that homo superior (Marvel's mutants over in X-Men and a multitude of other titles) are perceived by both humans and mutants as "the coming race" destined to supplant normal humans.

There was a second wave of pulp heroes, beginning around the same time as Superman and Batman were introduced, and these characters (The Black Bat, The Avenger, The Green Lama) were generally slightly more fantastic in their abilities than their early-1930s predecessors. By 1943, though, the pulps had stopped trying to compete with the more outlandish type of characters that were gaining in popularity in comic books, and the pendulum swung the other way, with the characters being toned down (and shrunk down) in digest-sized magazines with shorter lead novels, the supervillain foes disappearing, and Doc Savage being subtitled "...Science Detective" and The Shadow's once over-the-top adventures being changed to the more sedate "Shadow Mystery Magazine"; while some characters like The Avenger, The Spider, and The Green Lama disappeared altogether. (Green Lama got resurrected a couple of years later as a full-fledged comic book superhero, complete with skintight outfit, the power of flight, and super-strength.)

I think there's a lot of potential for seeing the reactions of characters like The Shadow, The Spider, Green Hornet & Kato, and Zorro to the Black Terror's super-strength and invulnerability. On the other hand, it's hard to think of what the Justice Party could possibly come up with to counter that (my guess would be giant mechanical men, probably numbered for easy reference), unless Black Terror all of a sudden develops some Kryptonite-like weakness.
                              Last edited by positronic; 12-05-2012, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Issue 1 rocked with Ross' art and I loved how the shadow and green hornet joined forces and how the spider came in at the end, it was awesome. I hope to see the spider be the prominent hero over the others but I'm betting it to be the shadow since he's a bit more popular, but the ending rocked and cliffhanger for the 2nd issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X