No announcement yet.

MASKS series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alex's art is so dynamic but why the hell does he overdraw The Shadow's nose to elephant scale? Anyhow, Masks #1 was an absolute knockout, I love the story and I love how Shadow and Hornet met with Shadow kicking Kato's butt, really great read. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Chadster View Post
      Alex's art is so dynamic but why the hell does he overdraw The Shadow's nose to elephant scale?
      To be fair, oversized honker and all, Ross isn't doing anything that original Shadow pulp cover artists George Rozen and Graves Gladney didn't already establish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	shadow_Aug 1st_1933.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	48705Click image for larger version

Name:	shadow_Oct 15th_1933.jpg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	48706Click image for larger version

Name:	shadow_June 15th_1933.jpg
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	48707
      Last edited by positronic; 12-07-2012, 12:59 AM.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by LetsRollKato View Post
        ...but it sounds like it's a hit, thusfar.

My only problem is that I have nearly ZERO interest in the "Alex Ross-i-verse" characters (or, rather, the re-purposed out-of-copyright characters) that will also be appearing in the series. I think it's going to make it far too crowded but, I suppose, that remains to be seen.
        By "Alex Ross-i-verse" characters, I assume you mean Black Terror and Green Lama from Project Superpowers. At this point, those appear to be the only PSP characters that will appear in this series. Sure, they could have gone with a smaller cast consisting of just The Shadow, The Spider, and Green Hornet and Kato (and maybe the Black Bat), but I think DE wanted this to be an event on a slightly larger scale. So we have 9 main characters (and for story purposes, Green Hornet & Kato function as a single unit), spread out over an 8-issue series. That's probably by design, not coincidence. It's a medium-sized cast, only slightly larger than the typical comic book superteam, and far smaller than the casts of either Project Superpowers or Kirby: Genesis (both of which were legitimately "too crowded").
        Last edited by positronic; 12-08-2012, 02:37 AM.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

finally got a chance to read it yesterday. Can't wait for the next issue. They are probably going to feature different characters in each issue. The Shadow, Green Hornet & Kato this issue with a little Spider and hints of Zorro & Black Bat. It looks like the Spider will play a bigger part next issue and possible Black Bat.

Hopfully this means a return of a GA Green Hornet series and maybe a couple of new series.
          Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
          http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

So I'm reading that Masks #1 cracked the top 300 comics list according to a couple different news sites and Dynamite retweeted a tweet from the issues letterer that it was indeed a top 25 book. Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by manga4life View Post
              So I'm reading that Masks #1 cracked the top 300 comics list according to a couple different news sites and Dynamite retweeted a tweet from the issues letterer that it was indeed a top 25 book. Congrats!
              According to Diamond Comics' statistics for the month of November 2012, MASKS #1 was rated as the #1-ranking title (in unit sales) among "non-premiere" publishers. (Non-premier publishers are everyone except Dark Horse, DC, Marvel, IDW, and Image.) In the overall rankings, MASKS #1 was ranked #25 in unit sales, and was ranked #16 in overall dollar sales. Not bad for a "non-premiere" publisher.

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                According to Diamond Comics' statistics for the month of November 2012, MASKS #1 was rated as the #1-ranking title (in unit sales) among "non-premiere" publishers. (Non-premier publishers are everyone except Dark Horse, DC, Marvel, IDW, and Image.) In the overall rankings, MASKS #1 was ranked #25 in unit sales, and was ranked #16 in overall dollar sales. Not bad for a "non-premiere" publisher.

For some reason I feel about DE the way a sports fan feels about their Home team, Masks #1 was an incredible comic book and a huge success financially. I like seeing my team do well.

Comment

Masks #2 in stores 12-19-2012

Preview here at Newsarama.

Comment

Fury and Green Lama added to the mix. Looks great and only a few days to wait.
                    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Thank you for the link to the preview. The artwork is beautiful and the story very interesting. I love it!

Comment

• I didn't view the preview because i want it all to be new to me, but I can't wait for issue 2.

Comment

• I was not able to find a copy of Masks #1 in Metro Manila. However, today I downloaded my free digital copy on Comixology. I absolutely LOVED it! After reading #1 and seeing the preview of #2, I don't think I am going to be able to resist buying the entire series in digital format.

I hope that after Masks #6 comes out that Dynamite will come up with a way to continue featuring all of our mystery masked men in the same story.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
                            I was not able to find a copy of Masks #1 in Metro Manila. However, today I downloaded my free digital copy on Comixology. I absolutely LOVED it! After reading #1 and seeing the preview of #2, I don't think I am going to be able to resist buying the entire series in digital format.

I hope that after Masks #6 comes out that Dynamite will come up with a way to continue featuring all of our mystery masked men in the same story.
                            Unless I misunderstood, I believe it's 8 issues, not 6.

Comment

• Yes, the series will be 8 issues with issue #2 coming out this Wednesday!
                              Dynamite Entertainment
                              Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Couldn't resist the temptation.
                                Now that I've seen the preview, Wednesday cannot get here fast enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X