No announcement yet.

MASKS series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EIGHT issues? Thanks for the good news, guys!

Its so nice to be incorrect sometimes!

Comment

• Once again Dynamite delivers with a great story, the art was fantastic too and it was great to see Green Lama again after so many years away. I loved how they touched upon every major hero so far and how The Shadow was so adamant about getting back out on the streets to fight, it showed strong leadership qualities on his part. I am starting to get a bit bummed out that this series is only going to be 8 issues though, this would rock as an ongoing title in my opinion.

Comment

• Dennis Calero has improved his artwork in the past few years. At least he's gotten much better at drawing people. I'm still somewhat bothered by the lack of backgrounds. The majority of his panels have sparse backgrounds, or none at all, and he's deliberately staging his artwork to fill the panel as much as possible with foreground figures to make drawing the backgrounds unnecessary. A long way from the Alex Ross art that appeared in issue #1, but then, nobody can really compete with Ross. I suppose Calero was chosen as much for his ability to make deadlines in a timely manner as anything else. Eh, I suppose it could have been a lot worse.

I was a little surprised at how quick they all were to volunteer their true identities (after all, they have just met for the first time). Ironic that The Shadow is the lone holdout here, since in his own title, allies and enemies alike all seem to know The Shadow and Cranston are one and the same.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Just picked up The Spider vs. The Empire State from my LCS. Your LCS can order it from the publisher (Argosy Communications) as it isn't listed by Diamond. It's next on my reading list (book wise).
          Last edited by Ghornet2; 01-12-2013, 07:19 PM.
          Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
          http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• I'm really enjoying the series so far. I am concerned that it'll get over-crowded with characters but it, thus far, has not.

Keep up the superb work!

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsRollKato View Post
              I'm really enjoying the series so far. I am concerned that it'll get over-crowded with characters but it, thus far, has not.

Keep up the superb work!
              I wonder if some of the characters (Black Terror, Black Bat, Zorro) aren't going to play a minor roll or if each issue will feature a few different characters.
              Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                Just picked up The Spider vs. The Empire State from my LCS. Your LCS can order it from the publisher (Argosy Communications) as it isn't listed by Diamond. It's next on my reading list (book wise).
                For anyone interested in additional information, or want to order directly from the publisher, you can get the information at, Fight the Empire State.

Comment

• Just finished the Spider vs. Very good. the ending was a little sudden but not bad. Definitely recoommended for fans a the Spider.

Comment

• MASKS #3 on sale Wednesday January 23rd!

Black Terror first appeared in Exciting Comics #9, January 1941. But in the MASKS universe, he apparently has his origin in 1938. They're also fudging the first appearance of Green Lama, who first appeared in the pulp Double Detective Vol 5 #5, April 1940. What the heck, anything for a good story.
                    Last edited by positronic; 01-17-2013, 02:15 AM.
                    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Nailing down the date of the origin story!!

Pos,
                      Can they slip by if EXCITING #9 doesn't tell the origin...and they are vague in dating the origin when it did appear??

I can't remember if The Black Terror's origin is there in EXCITING #9.
                      We could let them "slip by" if there is no "date specific" in the origin story there at Standard.

Sometimes it's easier to stop the train and untie the girl than nail the date.
                      Last edited by magnoanddavey; 01-17-2013, 03:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by magnoanddavey View Post
                        Pos,
                        Can they slip by if EXCITING #9 doesn't tell the origin...and they are vague in dating the origin when it did appear??

I can't remember if The Black Terror's origin is there in EXCITING #9.
                        We could let them "slip by" if there is no "date specific" in the origin story there at Standard.

Sometimes it's easier to stop the train and untie the girl than nail the date.
                        Just checked the GCD (Grand Comicbook Database) and #9 is Terror's origin. As I don't own a copy I can't say anything about a date, but back then I don't think they worried or really delt with that sort of thing. I'll try and check my Mystery Man reprints in the next day or 2.

Comment

• Probably best not to dwell much on it. Just as there are discrepancies between DE's versions and the pulp versions of The Shadow and The Spider, and the radio version of Green Hornet. DE's versions of all these golden age characters are sort of "approximations" of the historical versions.

Comment

• Approximations?? Close enough!!....

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                            Probably best not to dwell much on it. Just as there are discrepancies between DE's versions and the pulp versions of The Shadow and The Spider, and the radio version of Green Hornet. DE's versions of all these golden age characters are sort of "approximations" of the historical versions.
                            Good by me!!

Comment

• Masks #3

Masks #3 was fun, I felt the first two issues were better but I'm stoked to see Green Lama and Black Terror back in the fold among the rest of the awesome pulp heroes we've been series. This series is a great mix of classic characters and pulp that should satisfy fans of both genre's, I myself and a big fan.

What was your favorite part of issue #3?
                              Dynamite Entertainment
                              Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• It was good. Miss Fury and Kato were pure gold in this issue, Seeing Kid Terror was cool too.

Comment

Working...
                                X