No announcement yet.

MASKS series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not my favorite of the 3 issues so far but yet it wasn't terrible by any means. There just wasn't much going on in issue #3, hopefully in the next issue we see more of the core group and get some more story/action to keep us interested. Issue #3 just felt......flat.

Comment

• Dynamite: Masks #3

Originally posted by manga4life View Post
      Not my favorite of the 3 issues so far but yet it wasn't terrible by any means. There just wasn't much going on in issue #3, hopefully in the next issue we see more of the core group and get some more story/action to keep us interested. Issue #3 just felt......flat.
      I was looking to pick this up in trade but one hardcore pulp fan has told me the interior art was subpar. I hope we aren't looking at another Moonstone with spectacular covers,but nothing inside. I find this hard to believe with what I've seen so far from Dynamite. What do you guys think?

Comment

• Originally posted by alton View Post
        I was looking to pick this up in trade but one hardcore pulp fan has told me the interior art was subpar. I hope we aren't looking at another Moonstone with spectacular covers,but nothing inside. I find this hard to believe with what I've seen so far from Dynamite. What do you guys think?
        The art is perfectly fine, it's not as good as Alex Ross' interiors in the first issue, but the art is still perfectly fine.

Comment

• The interior art is ok. It is not Alex Ross, Jack Hebert, Esteve Polls, but also not Ronan Cliquet. I would like to see a bit more detail and some better backgrounds, but I would not say it takes away from the book. The plot is continuing to evolve and we are seeing more depth of the evil from the Justice Party. I am guessing we will see this build until issue #5, and then the action will really explode in #6 and beyond. Still a very enjoyable title.

Comment

• I am enjoying the artwork and the coloring.

My favorite parts about Masks #3 are:

1) Kato's going out on his own to investigate. He is great as a partner for Green Hornet, but I really like the idea that he is able to do his own investigating at any given time.

2) The awesome covers.

Bring on #4!

Comment

• I really like the way the panels don't conform to the typical comic book style. Not knowing Dennis Calero's other work, I'm not sure if that's more a result of Alex Ross' "art direction" on the series? I'm also not familiar with Alex Ross outside of issue #1 but I loved the art in that book. That being said, I'd agree with the others that this was not my favorite issue storywise in the series so far, but I'm committed till it ends.

Comment

• Not familiar with Alex Ross? WOW. How is that even POSSIBLE?

(I'm teasing)

While I have a ton of respect for Ross' talent, I'm not crazy, usually, about his art in that it's far too posed for my tastes. It's not dynamic in motion, if you get my meaning. I will say, however, that his interior work for MASKS #1 really impressed me moreso than any of his work prior.

While I enjoyed MASKS #3, there were moments where I had to double-check who I was looking out. So many white guys with dark hair who all sort of look similar. I'm enjoying the heck out of the series, though.

Comment

• While I dabbled in comics as a youngin' I've only just started really reading them in my adult years as of November or so. So a lot of these names are all new to me. My current favorite artists based on the limited work I've seen would have to be Alex Ross and Francesco Francavilla. And as far as genres go, I feel myself gravitating to the pulps and classic characters (though they're new to me as well). I was first introduced to The Shadow and The Spider through Masks #1, sad as that may sound. The books from the big 2 (Marvel and DC) just don't hold my interest. But I'm enjoying Sherlock Holmes and Masks from Dynamite.

Comment

• MASKS - ongoing thread

People have been pretty quiet about this series for the last couple of months. Rather than start a new thread for issue #5, I just decided to create a catch-all thread for the series from this point on.

So, I was surprised to see no comments on the last-page reveal in #5 of the big bad mastermind behind the Justice Party (no spoilers for those who haven't read it yet). All I'll say is it's a particular plot twist that I did not see coming. Also, the way the reveal was delivered was subdued enough that those who haven't been playing close attention to the plot may even have missed it. I wonder if that was the case, and why nobody has commented in the last few days since the issue went on sale.
                    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• MASKS - ongoing thread

People have been pretty quiet about this series for the last couple of months. Rather than start a new thread for issue #5, I just decided to create a catch-all thread for the series from this point on.

So, I was surprised to see no comments on the last-page reveal in #5 of the big bad mastermind behind the Justice Party (no spoilers for those who haven't read it yet). All I'll say it's a particular plot twist that I did not see coming. Also, the way the reveal was delivered was subdued enough that those who haven't been playing close attention to the plot may even have missed it. I wonder if that was the case, and why nobody has commented in the last few days since the issue went on sale.
                      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Unfortunately, the solicitation for #7 kind of blew it for me.

http://dynamite.com/htmlfiles/viewPr...13019768907011

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                          Unfortunately, the solicitation for #7 kind of blew it for me.

http://dynamite.com/htmlfiles/viewPr...13019768907011
                          Well, with 20/20 hindsight yeah, but at the same time the solicitation copy doesn't name names. I didn't have a large enough image of the cover to comb it for details, so it was hard to pinpoint the exact significance of what was in that image. All the MASKS covers have tended to be fairly non-specific, more along the iconic/symbolic level anyway, rather than portraying an actual scene from the story. Even stuff like the upcoming cover to #6 (with The Spider being X'ed out of the group of images) isn't a giveaway because that actually happened a couple of issues ago.

Comment

• That's just it. I try very hard to avoid spoilers but I do look at solicitations to see what new series might be starting (and which ones might be ending, unfortunately). Usually they're rather generic and give nothing away so it's not a problem. Most covers are the pinup type. But I got caught on that one.

These books have multiple covers so it probably wouldn't have killed Dynamite to hold off a bit before making that one public.

Comment

• For me it just blended in with the other covers, so I didn't read any special meaning into it. I'm not sure you how picked that one out as the non-generic one.

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
                                For me it just blended in with the other covers, so I didn't read any special meaning into it. I'm not sure you how picked that one out as the non-generic one.
                                I couldn't help but see "Clock" written on the torn picture that the character flips at the reader.

Comment

Working...
                                X