MASKS series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renaud
    started a topic MASKS series MEGATHREAD!

MASKS series MEGATHREAD!

MASKS - GOLDEN AGE CROSSOVER EVENT

Looks interesting

I guess as close as we’re ever going to get to my suggestion of an ann PULP HEROES crossover event

http://heroescomics.9f.com/pulp_heroes.htm

The News

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=39644

WOW!

Green Hornet, Kato, The Shadow, Miss Fury, Black Bat, Zorro, The Spider and other
    All that's missing is the Phantom, but then again, there is the mention of others, as in possibly some surprises

Too bad they couldn't get Doc Savage, and The Avenger, but it's still a pretty nice bunch.
    Last edited by Renaud; 07-11-2012, 04:09 PM.

Guest replied
    Re-reading the MASKS series . . .

I recently decided to re-read this series where the "Justice Party" has a... unique... way of making life "better"/"great again" in the Empire State.

It was a coincidence that I chose to do this on the weekend right after Donald Trump was inaugurated as President of the United States . . . = EEK! =

Leave a comment:

• pulphero
    replied
    Originally posted by leonmallett View Post
    So is it getting some kind of HC treatment, or is this a request? Just wondering as it may affect my purchasing.
    Nothing solicited or announced so far on the Masks hardcover front. I guess if they don't make one, that would definitely affect your ability to purchase one!

The trade paperback collection came out back at the end of August 2013.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    So is it getting some kind of HC treatment, or is this a request? Just wondering as it may affect my purchasing.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    A-r-r-r-r-r-g-h!!

Originally posted by Renaud View Post
    For the historical gathering and clever intelligent story writing,

If anything ever deserved a Deluxe Edition Hardcover treatment,

it's "Masks"

Thanks to all responsible for this great comic book event

In my view it is movie worthy
    Why do you torture me with that Project SuperPowers motif at the end????

Why haven't the Project SuperPowers heroes returned with stronger art and story???

Painful!!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Masks Deluxe Edition Hardcover Treatment

For the historical gathering and clever intelligent story writing,

If anything ever deserved a Deluxe Edition Hardcover treatment,

it's "Masks"

Thanks to all responsible for this great comic book event

In my view it is movie worthy

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by pulphero View Post
    I don't know, the ending just seemed to lack "oomph". Essentially The Clock's master plan wasn't really defeated by the assembled Masks, but by the average citizens when he tried to invade New Jersey.
    Yeah, but maybe those citizens built up some of the testicular fortitude needed to fight because they saw what our heroes were doing?

I enjoyed the issue, but it did sort of lack oomph so to speak. Echoing a previous poster Miss Fury really didn't have a part..which is fine because she has her own title now, its pretty good.

I would have traded Zoro time for more Green LLama time though.

Leave a comment:

• pulphero
    replied
    I don't know, the ending just seemed to lack "oomph". Essentially The Clock's master plan wasn't really defeated by the assembled Masks, but by the average citizens when he tried to invade New Jersey.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by pulphero View Post
    After a great start in issue #1, this seemed to run out of steam somewhere, despite a good basic idea in making the villain a hero-gone-bad. Just seemed a little threadbare somehow and about halfway through the thing just seemed to be going through the motions. Probably too many characters fighting for space in an 8-issue story. Can't win them all.
    This is how I felt when I used to read The Avengers, Justice League, and X-Men way back in the day, just too many characters in a 22 page story. And while I felt MASKS was crammed a bit, I felt Roberson did a decent job at making it seem spread out, I highly enjoyed the series and the final issue.

Leave a comment:

• pulphero
    replied
    After a great start in issue #1, this seemed to run out of steam somewhere, despite a good basic idea in making the villain a hero-gone-bad. Just seemed a little threadbare somehow and about halfway through the thing just seemed to be going through the motions. Probably too many characters fighting for space in an 8-issue story. Can't win them all.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Drop the bomb, Harry!!

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
    Yeah, that was cool. Especially since the Black Bat did not have a huge role to this point. Plus there are a lot of similarities between these characters so seeing that they are not necessarily of one mind of every issue underscores some of the differences.

I recall that a few years back we had some complaints about such a large cast of PSP characters all being against dropping the bomb. It seemed unrealistic. It is normal normal that there would be disagreements. I just wished that Black Bat had seemed less accepting of what Shadow ultiamtely did (trying to remain spoiler free here...).
    As far as the PSP characters being against dropping the bomb, ..... I still say it was EXTREMELY OUT OF CHARACTER FOR OUR HEROES TO WANT TO STOP THE DROPPING OF THE BOMB.

Historians tell us that it saved hundreds of thousands of lives ....on BOTH sides.

And, good God, look at all those covers. Those heroes FOUGHT against the Axis Powers throughout the War.
    The Rape of Nanking and Death Marches ....and the whole bloody business had to come to an end. After the Government figured out the cost in lives that would be lost on both sides in taking Japan.... Truman did not waver.
    He SAVED untold lives on both sides. The whole PSP foundation was build on "crap".!! [Please forgive my "French". I LOVED THOSE GOLDEN AGE HEROES that were so PATRIOTIC.

They represented the best of our guys that hit those beaches and died .....so guys like us could still read comicbooks... and live in relative freedom.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Smooth ending, quick but good. Nothing puts things to an end quicker than a bullet to the head but man o' man did The Clock deserve it. What a book and what a story!

Seeing the individual heroes spotlighted for a bit was cool as was the page time for Black Bat who really needed it, I liked the battle and the struggle and I feel it ended perfectly to set up a second miniseries.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The issue was ok. Each character getting their chance to shine in this issue really made the book read fast for me. It was nice to see the Black Bat get more page time though.

Overall I liked the series and what it was trying to do, but I think too many characters were squeezed in.

Didn't like the mixing of the Pulp characters with the Golden Age Comic characters.. but we did get the great Miss Fury title out of it. So I won't complain too much about that.

I am looking forward to seeing The Shadow / The Green Hornet title, where they get some more room to breathe.

Leave a comment:

• Ghornet2
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
    They weren't really soldiers though, eh? Just a bunch of thugs in suits. A superstitious and cowardly lot, as Mr Wayne would say...

By the same token though...If the Masks hadn't shown up, wouldn't the whole plan have unraveled anyway?
    Probably but I'm sure it happened faster because they took out the head/brains.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    They weren't really soldiers though, eh? Just a bunch of thugs in suits. A superstitious and cowardly lot, as Mr Wayne would say...

By the same token though...If the Masks hadn't shown up, wouldn't the whole plan have unraveled anyway?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X