Something I've been doing as of late.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something I've been doing as of late.

I've been reading certain book with the notion that they all take place within the same universe even though I know they don't. Basically, I've been reading Green Hornet, Spider, Shadow, Peter Cannon, Lord of the Jungle, Vampirella, Bionic Man, and Flash Gordon as if they've been sharing the same universe and I don't know why......all I know is that it's been extremely fun. I guess comics are what you make of them, and I'm having a hell of a time reading these books as if they're coheisive. Anyone ever do this?
    Last edited by comixfan1980; 11-21-2012, 11:30 AM.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Don't you then just end up wondering why none of them ever meet up, or why events from one book don't impact with another?

Comment

I do something similar with the Dark Horse Conan, Kull, and other REH properties, Dynamite Red Sonja (and probably Lord of the Jungle and Warlord of Mars), and 2000-2004 Marvel Comics--in which case Spider-Man and Red Sonja (who comes from Conan's Hyborian Era as well, of course) did meet up, as they also did back in Marvel Team-Up ages ago. Indeed, that was the very very last published appearance of the Spider-Man/MJ marriage before it was ... removed from continuity.

Part of this is because pretty much from the early 1970s up till ~2000 or so, not only did Marvel publish Conan and Red Sonja, but they clearly set them up as being in the prehistory of the Marvel Universe for decades. There weren't tons of crossovers, but Spider-Man also teamed up with King Kull, Selene was from the Hyborian Era, Kulan Gath of course in numerous storylines, the history of the Serpent Crown (connected to Set and to Kull's enemies the Serpent Men), and so on.

It's a nice little continuity I call Earth-J (from Jemas), whose "present-day" stuff ends before House of M or Civil War or One More Day any of that rot, and instead leads to X-Men: The End and such.

Comment

Oh, for more on the way I sort my comics, I post about it on my Tumblr.

Comment

I think comics are indeed what you make of them and if you want to read them with the notion that they all share a universe than that's totally cool. After all, we all share a universe and I've never met any of you in real life, so I guess comics could be viewed the same way.

Comment

Comics are participatory. They require some input from your own imagination. Each of us carries our own personal, individual "comic book universe" inside our heads. This is what allows us to blot out the stuff we don't like (or at least consign it to some abberant alternate universe), and incorporate the stuff we do like - any imagined connection can be real for us personally, and no one can "prove us wrong".

This of course leads to reams of fan-fiction, or amateur comics, crossovers -- and sometimes even professionally-published ones. Pretty much anything can be reconciled in your own mind if your pointedly ignore certain things while adding certain touches of your own.

Editor Win Scott Eckert (with inspiration from the late Philip Jose Farmer) has been playing this game with fictional characters for a long time, and has compiled his complex skein of character interconnections in a couple of books:

Crossovers: A Secret Chronology of the World

Click image for larger version

Name:	51vsSreGR3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	48703

Crossovers: A Secret Chronology of the World (Volume 2)

Click image for larger version

Name:	51CRW1TjdgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	48704
            Last edited by positronic; 11-22-2012, 01:38 AM.
            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
              Comics are participatory. They require some input from your own imagination. Each of us carries our own personal, individual "comic book universe" inside our heads. This is what allows us to blot out the stuff we don't like (or at least consign it to some abberant alternate universe), and incorporate the stuff we do like - any imagined connection can be real for us personally, and no one can "prove us wrong".
              This is so true.

Comment

Working...
              X