Dick Tracy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dick Tracy

So, does anyone think this character would fit with what Dynamite has been doing lately? I would be very interested in seing this book from DE.

I remember the Kyle Baker version from the early 90s, when Disney had the Warren Beatty movie adaptation.

Dick Tracy is a tough one. So much of it, for me, is tied up in that old-fashioned but iconic art style of Chester Gould. The bright yellow trenchcoat and fedora, and that hatchet jaw. That 90 degree angle jawline definitely influenced the Dick Sprang Batman. Well, that and the rogues gallery of oddball criminal types.

Doesn't IDW hold the license? They're reprinting the strip, right? So they probably have dibs on any new comic book version. Any company that jumped on the chance to do Popeye probably isn't going to get cold feet about doing some cartoon-style detective comic book.
    Last edited by positronic; 01-01-2013, 05:17 PM.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

It could be the matter of finding the right artist then. For example, and you may disagree, DC made a perfect choice when they gave the Spirit to Moritat.

Comment

The three issues of TRACY Kyle Baker did were awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by pulpfan View Post
          It could be the matter of finding the right artist then. For example, and you may disagree, DC made a perfect choice when they gave the Spirit to Moritat.
          I may, but I don't. And Moritat's All Star Western featuring Jonah Hex is one of the few bright spots in an otherwise dull New 52.

It's just that Dick Tracy, without the stylized cartooning, is just a generic detective character to me. Even the weird-looking criminals require a cartoony look to pull off right.
          Last edited by positronic; 01-04-2013, 12:51 AM.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Now that Dynamite has The Spirit, I'd love to see a Dick Tracy and The Spirit team-up set back in the late 1930s / early 1940s.

Comment

Recently, Archie Comics announced they'd be doing some new Dick Tracy comic stories.

Then, last month, it was announced that The Tribune Content Agency (who arranged the deal with Archie Comics) made a mistake and shouldn't have entered into the initial deal with Archie Comics. (OOOOOPS!)

http://www.cbr.com/dick-tracy-archie-reboot-canceled/

Comment

Working...
              X