Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you make the pulp books one solid universe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you make the pulp books one solid universe?

What would be your method for making The Shadow, Black Bat, Hornet, Hornet junior, Spider, and Fury all one universe? What would be your method?

I make it a timeline, some in the early days and some today.

Yeah, it would have to be an instance of different characters existing at different times. The Shadow and Green Hornet are long retired, if not dead, and the new Hornet and The Spider have taken up the mantle of the modern day hero. I've always viewed these books as happening in the same universe and being connected even though they technically aren't but its been a blast finding personal ways to make it all work. Comics are what you make of them, have fun with it and read them however you'd like!

:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Chadster View Post
      What would be your method for making The Shadow, Black Bat, Hornet, Hornet junior, Spider, and Fury all one universe? What would be your method?

I make it a timeline, some in the early days and some today.
      Just one problem, how can Britt Reid and Richard Wentworth be the same guy living in two different times? It can't be time travel like Miss Fury, because we already know enough about their history. Black Bat -- looks like another Earth 1/Earth 2 deal. So there's a parallel universe or two, big deal. I really don't need a Britt Reid Sr. and Hayashi Kato who have some super-soldier/infinity formula to keep them fighting crime from the 1930s to the 1980s, or a Richard Wentworth who's the grandson of some earlier Spider. If they were going to do something like that, they should have thought it out from the beginning, like Now Comics did in their Green Hornet series. Not a big fan of the retcon. "Please avert your gaze for a moment while I employ this giant shoehorn to bend established continuity..."
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

One single universe......

Back in the day we had classic heroes such as The Green Hornet and The Shadow who kept their respective cities safe and helped to protect them as vigilantes, other heroes roamed the street at this time as well and maybe we shall see them in their own books eventually. Fast forward to current day where the new Green Hornet keeps watch over his city with a vengeful eye and The Spider does the same knowing that his city is in need of justice.

See, it's just a matter of having different timelines. If you truly want to, you could easily connect all of these characters together in one solid universe through their solo titles, just don't ever expect them to meet up unless you want to read Masks (which alters the idea). But remember, comics are what you make of them, the story is as you want to enjoy it and if connecting the universes is what you want to do than go for it! I sure do!

Comment

I am going to start thinking of the books as one shared universe as well, but with the notion that these characters have never met. I personally view Masks as a "elseworlds" style tale, nothing more so it won't hinder my thought process of having a shared universe with a huge expanding time-line. Good call, guys!

Comment

I just wanted to say I'm really with this idea. I'm not clever enough to work out the nuts and bolts but a Pulp universe definitely does it for me.....

The more Dynamite Pulp the better and a way to keep all these fabulous characters going needs to be thought up.

Love it...

Comment

Much like you guys, I consider the pulp books all one universe spread throughout many different eras of time. All you got to do is just consider the events happening to be happening in whatever timeframe your reading, there is truly nothing that says "we don't connect" even if they don't truly connect.
              Dynamite Entertainment
              Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Originally posted by DynamitePulpReader View Post
                I am going to start thinking of the books as one shared universe as well, but with the notion that these characters have never met. I personally view Masks as a "elseworlds" style tale, nothing more so it won't hinder my thought process of having a shared universe with a huge expanding time-line. Good call, guys!
                Shared, yet never meeting... elseworlds. Got it. Whatever works for you. Kinda fuzzy on what they're sharing if they never meet, and if they do, then it's an "elseworlds"? OK, whatever rules you have to set up to put stuff in boxes and the boxes inside other boxes is fine.
                DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                  Shared, yet never meeting... elseworlds. Got it. Whatever works for you. Kinda fuzzy on what they're sharing if they never meet, and if they do, then it's an "elseworlds"? OK, whatever rules you have to set up to put stuff in boxes and the boxes inside other boxes is fine.
                  He must be so grateful for your approval. Probably up until now, he wasn't quite able to enjoy comics to their fullest!

Comment

Just let people enjoy comics the way they choose to, man.
                    Dynamite Entertainment
                    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

I think the problem might boil down to licensing. The original owners might be cool for a mini-series or two to play in the same sandbox, but don't want their character to take the backseat to some other companies characters.

Comment

No no, people......

It's exactly the way Positronic views it and that's the bottom line! Don't we all know by now?

In all seriousness, I view it as a shared universe where the characters live and work in different cities and the chances of meeting up are slim to none. The reason being is that let's say I was a pulp style hero/vigilante in Boston and Chadster was the same in L.A, we'd be doing the same thing on different coasts and while the chances of us knowing that the other exists is high I would say the probability of meeting would be low. The chances of meeting would be a lot higher if we had super powers and needed to team up to take down a super powered villain.

Comment

Originally posted by manga4life View Post
                          No no, people......

It's exactly the way Positronic views it and that's the bottom line! Don't we all know by now?
                          Well see, you're just confusing me with some definition of the word "universe" that I'm not familiar with. If your answer is "Well it means whatever I want it to mean", then that's different. Let's just forget the whole thing.
                          Last edited by positronic; 04-15-2013, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Shared, yet never meeting... elseworlds. Got it. Whatever works for you. Kinda fuzzy on what they're sharing if they never meet
                            History, presumably. I mean as in the history of the era in which they're set.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                              History, presumably. I mean as in the history of the era in which they're set.
                              OK, in a "realistic" world they would each go about their own activities in their own cities and never meet. On the other hand, The Shadow and The Spider (and the Black Bat, IIRC) inhabit New York City, and with control freaks like The Shadow and The Spider, it's hard to imagine them not, at the very least, keeping tabs on each other, if not investigating each other leading to a more personal confrontation. (Presuming a world where MASKS hadn't already happened.) Still, just because they share "history" which is very like that of our real world (with their own additions), so do thousands of parallel worlds. Even assuming MASKS is not an Elseworld, you're going to have to jump through some hoops to try to explain how The Spider (ongoing) and Green Hornet (Legacy) share history with the 1930s characters. Personally, I don't think it can be done without creating some messy bits and using a lot of sci-fi stuff like time travel or parallel world travel. If you want to take a stab at a theory, be my guest, but it seems like it's not going to sit too well, if it's too "science-fictiony". Especially where it comes to supporting casts, fathers and sons, etc.

If they can't ever meet without ruining something for somebody, then I fail to see what the attraction would be of having them nominally inhabit a shared world. (Seems like that would just be a pain in the ass for the writers to keep track of what's going on in other books in order to reference it as background material in some subtle way, to no benefit in terms of guest star appearances.) And of course, in comic books, impossible coincidences and highly unlikely probabilities that bring disparate characters into contact seem to happen with alarming frequency.

All I'm really getting here is that people want to justify somehow filing (physically or mentally) all their Dynamite comics in the same box, and/or making lists of books they like that have a shared publisher and a shared genre. Then you will get some disagreement among the people who want to include Zorro, and those that don't, because technically he's a different genre (historical western). And of course, except for the specific versions of public domain characters, unlike Marvel and DC's universes, all these characters (the big guns) are just "loaners". Future licensees of these characters are likely to throw away anything Dynamite establishes in terms of a universe, just like DE threw out the material by other publishers that preceded their publication of Green Hornet, Shadow, and Spider. So really you're not building anything that won't be torn down the minute DE loses a particular license.

Personally, while things like MASKS and DARK NIGHTS are fun, I really don't need these characters to "officially" inhabit the same space in any way shape or form. Not dead set against it either, nor it doesn't have to include everything DE publishes that might nominally be labelled as "pulp" (just leave out anything not set in the past, or with time travel elements [PSP, Miss Fury] that have its roots in the past). Making things like the modern Spider, Green Hornet, and Black Bat tie in requires too many repeats of the same science fiction elements. I suppose you could all of a sudden discover that they were all trapped in Pandora's urn along with the PSP heroes, but again, this is starting to sour me on the idea.
                              Last edited by positronic; 04-16-2013, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X