Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you make the pulp books one solid universe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, The Shadow hasn't spent too much time in NYC since the beginning of the book, and since The Spider is in a different era it's very believable that he was somehow inspired by The Shadow and his work many, many years ago. So in essence they could take place in the same universe.

If someone wants to view them as being in the same universe than that's really cool, it add's a new level of fun to piece it together the way they see fit. Kudo's for enjoying the books your way, guys!
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

I would do something similar to what is being done now. With Mark Waid's Green Hornet #1 referencing the Shadow in passing. Have a selective group of heroes that operate in the 30-40 timeline, then watch it grow.

The Shared Universe could be expanded upon in something like a Masks: Year One series. In which we see how the characters come to know of each other. As Within Masks, many of them were already familiar with each other.

Just my thoughts at least.

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
        Well, The Shadow hasn't spent too much time in NYC since the beginning of the book, and since The Spider is in a different era it's very believable that he was somehow inspired by The Shadow and his work many, many years ago. So in essence they could take place in the same universe.
        I guess, if you're willing to throw out MASKS, which already has a Richard Wentworth Spider in the 1930s. And if you choose to leave out GHYO and MWGH as well, then you can include Green Hornet Legacy. There just doesn't seem to be a way without leaving something out, because all it takes is one title to create a continuity contradiction. I have to say I'm surprised that the people pushing for the "all-inclusive" universe idea aren't advancing any theories to reconcile the existence of a modern Spider, Hornet, and Black Bat with the 1930s ones, in the same universe. Well sure, it's your hobby, you can believe (or choose to ignore) contradictory information in your own mind if it makes you happy somehow. It's just a difficult idea to sell to other people without some common basis of evidence (in the printed comic books) you can point to, to support the idea.

One interesting aspect that hasn't really been definitely established one way or the other (so it's still wide open for anyone to believe whatever they want) is whether the Black Terror and Green Lama in MASKS are the same ones that will eventually be trapped in Pandora's urn after WWII in the PSP universe, or merely near-identical dopplegangers in some parallel universe.
        Last edited by positronic; 04-16-2013, 09:05 PM.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

PULP YEAR ONE

Originally posted by Chadster View Post
          What would be your method for making The Shadow, Black Bat, Hornet, Hornet junior, Spider, and Fury all one universe? What would be your method?

I make it a timeline, some in the early days and some today.
          Project Superpowers was an excellent example of bringing back classic heroes

But I would like also to see heroes set in their own time

la "PULP YEAR ONE"

as a volume 1 (Season 1) like Green Hornet Year One, or Sandman Mystery Theatre

And possible in a second season Volume 2 find a way to transport most of them to the modern age, possible meet their future generations, others that continued in the footsteps of their ancestors or favorite classic heroes

Followers of the Spider could continue in the modern age, even an army of Spiders

Where a PULP YEAR ONE event could link to in the future, and an army of Spiders of different designs men and woman could come to the rescue of the original Master Of Men.
          Last edited by Renaud; 04-17-2013, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravingnerd View Post
            The Shared Universe could be expanded upon in something like a Masks: Year One series. In which we see how the characters come to know of each other. As Within Masks, many of them were already familiar with each other.
            The only impression I got of any of them having met before was Miss Fury and Green Lama. The rest seemed only to be aware of each other's existence through newspaper accounts, their own intelligence network (in the case of The Shadow), or through the underworld grapevine. And of course, Black Bat and Zorro are making their first appearance in the universe of MASKS in this story. Also got the impression that Black Terror is pretty new on the scene.
            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by db8coach View Post
              I think the problem might boil down to licensing. The original owners might be cool for a mini-series or two to play in the same sandbox, but don't want their character to take the backseat to some other companies characters.
              I think you've summed it up in a nutshell. Dynamite is only borrowing these characters for a certain amount of time. When they cease to be popular, Dynamite will cancel the book. Some other publisher may take another shot at the character in comic book form in the future, but it's doubtful that they'll include Dynamite's comics in their continuity, just as Dynamite isn't including any continuity from previous publishers.

Yes, in an ideal world, all the classic pulp characters would be owned outright by the same comic publisher, and inhabit the same universe, leading to a situation where you could build something that would continue continuity-wise, for decades to come. Because that's the only way you can get something like the type of universes that Marvel and DC have -- even when their characters' individual titles cease to be profitable for the company, the characters can still appear in other titles as guest-stars or as members of a superteam. The licensing situation makes that impossible for Dynamite.
              Last edited by positronic; 04-18-2013, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Maybe they should do an "Earth-1" counterpart series to MASKS, in which the modern incarnations of The Spider, The Green Hornet and Kato, and the Black Bat all meet.

Comment

As cool as it is seeing guys like the Shadow and Green Hornet team up, I wouldn't want a full fledged shared universe.

Comment

I'm seeing no consensus here. Some want a "universe" (in the Marvel/DC sense), some just a sorta-kinda universe with no actual crossovers, or a "like-to-think-of-it-that-way-in-my-mind" universe, some no universe at all.

Some want MASKS to become an ongoing, some an annual event, and some want to think of it as an "Elseworlds".

Personally, I think they should save that kind of crossover for a once-in-a-while occasion. If they make it a regular thing, it ceases to be anything special. You know, like the 3-or-4-times-a-year events over at Marvel and DC.

Comment

Personally, I think they should save that kind of crossover for a once-in-a-while occasion. If they make it a regular thing, it ceases to be anything special. You know, like the 3-or-4-times-a-year events over at Marvel and DC.
                      I could agree with that. I love seeing stuff like this, but I want to keep loving it. Some doses, keep me wanting more.

Comment

Originally posted by Flash Gordon View Post
                        As cool as it is seeing guys like the Shadow and Green Hornet team up, I wouldn't want a full fledged shared universe.
                        agreed. Masks is, for the most part, a fun crossover. i'm not opposed to occasional events like Masks or even a Brave and the Bold type team up book...but one shared universe? nah.

Comment

count me in the group of people who would rather not have a "shared" universe. If you want a Dynamite Universe, they should restart PSP.

Comment

Originally posted by Son of Tarzan View Post
                            agreed. Masks is, for the most part, a fun crossover. i'm not opposed to occasional events like Masks or even a Brave and the Bold type team up book...but one shared universe? nah.
                            I second a big "Nah" to the shared universe (and the dreaded "Continuity" that it implies.) There are just too many rules to pull that off. The stories suffer and the characters suffer. New 52, anyone? How awful would that make the pulps?

Comment

I don't care if it's shared or not, but I like that people are having fun with piecing things together to make it shared if they so please. It's kind of neat to be able to view the line as shared or to view it as stand alone titles, the multiple time frames make it easier to come up with your own conclusions.

I view it as shared, I don't know, it makes it a little more fun for me as a reader but I can see as to why some wouldn't view it as such too.
                              Dynamite Entertainment
                              Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                                I view it as shared, I don't know, it makes it a little more fun for me as a reader but I can see as to why some wouldn't view it as such too.
                                The Green Hornet / Shadow mini will be revealing. If the story is told in such a way that they appear to be meeting for the first time again, well...

Comment

Working...
                                X