Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What time periods do you prefer your pulp-style comic books to take place?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
    I tend to like a lot of them set at the time they were created.
    That's my preference, too.

Comment

For me it depends on the character, some work better in the past, while some could also work in the present. For present stories I tend to like the legacy idea, where the heroes kid takes up his/her parents mantle.

Comment

Originally posted by rasx View Post
        For me it depends on the character, some work better in the past, while some could also work in the present. For present stories I tend to like the legacy idea, where the heroes kid takes up his/her parents mantle.
        DE is putting out some interesting new series and one-shots putting some of our time honored pulp heroes in different settings! Legendary steampunk series featuring Green Hornet, Red Sonja, and Vampirella and the Altered States series of one-shots featuring Doc Savage, the Shadow, Red Sonja, etc. Basically, it is the same core character in a different setting/time-period. Some will be good stories and some might not be that great.

As I have stated before, if the same core values of the character is there, it does not matter to me which time period the story takes place. Take for example Sherlock Holmes--set in original setting, set in WWII (Basil Rathbone movies at one point), BBC's modern retellings of stories in Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch, the TV series Elementary with Jonny Lee Miller, to manga's Sherlock Bones (Holmes reincarnated into a dog that only speaks to his "Watson" master when holding a pipe--weird but that is manga for you), to Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd century cartoon. It is still Sherlock Holmes in some variation regardless of time period. Heck, even Law & Order: Criminal Intent with Det. Goren and Eames are modern day Holmes/Watson pairing complete with a Moriarty character Nicole Wallace played by Olivia d'Abo.

When DE put out Masks with a modern pre-WWII Zorro, I thought it was strange. No longer do I feel that it was that strange. I was rewatching some Republic Studio's movie serials particularly Zorro's Fighting Legion and decided to look up other Zorro movies on Wikipedia. Zorro's Fighting Legion (my favorite Zorro movie) was covering events soon after his original stories in Mexico fighting a Golden God of the Yaqui Indians (villain dressed in armor to pretend he was a god). It is great fun--many stunts were reduplicated for Raiders of the Lost Arc. It is Zorro but this time he brings and army with him! Another serial was Zorro's Black Whip--a female 1880s descendant heroine that duplicates Zorro's MO but this time uses primarily a whip. In Son of Zorro serial, set around the Civil War, Zorro's descendant Jeff Stewart takes up the role of Zorro. In the serial Ghost of Zorro, Ken Mason is the grandson of Zorro played by Clayton Moore. In the serial Zorro Rides Again (1937), a modern descendant of Zorro James Vega rides a motorcycle instead of a horse. In 1983, there was a short lived tv series called Zorro and Son. In 1997, the New Adventures of Zorro puts a cartoon Zorro against magic and steampunk villains. In 2008, there was a cartoon called Zorro: Generation Z--set in the year 2015, a descendant of Zorro using laser sword and riding a supped up motorcycle and aided by a tech-savy Bernardo (Think Phantom 2020 for similarities).

The Three Musketeers was rebooted as a John Wayne aviation/war serial with our four heroes flying planes instead of the classic swords, muskets, and horses. There was even a bad Three Musketeers movie featuring descendants of the musketeers staring David Hasselhoff. A movie called At Sword's Point featuring the sons and daughters of the musketeers.

The Phantom perhaps started this trend by featuring the previous Phantoms as told through the Phantom Chronicles fighting piracy in all its forms. Phantom 2020 and Defenders of the Earth cartoons featured future Phantoms. Regardless of the time period, it is the Phantom.

Heck, Batman has his many elseworlds variations as well as a Batman Beyond.

Red Sonja should always be that strong female warrior. Green Hornet should always be that hero who pretends to be a mob boss. The Phantom should always fight corruption and piracy. The Shadow should always fight injustice with his manipulated agents. Doc Savage should always be the icon scientist created from birth to fight evil. Tarzan can always be the noble savage regardless of time period he is in--see his movie variations as well (Tarzan in Manhattan for example).

The only hero that seems to be stuck is the Lone Ranger. Mainly due to his legacy to Green Hornet. I have been watching some of the 1968 cartoon episodes on-line remembering that I liked those steampunk (ala Wild Wild West) type episodes as a kid. Perhaps there could be a modern Lone Ranger who survives a Texas Ranger ambush by border drug traffic lords? Or there can be a Legendary series or one-shot? Or, the term "Ranger" has been used in movie fantasy settings like Lord of the Rings, perhaps an Altered States Lone Ranger could be in the offering?

Comment

I'm currently enjoying the 90's Zorro series on Hulu. I'd forgotten how fun it was.

The Black Whip of Zorro's Black Whip was actually never connected to Zorro in the serial. Zorro's name was only there to get some attention. But I do think it was one of the better serials.

The Spy Smasher, Captain Marvel and the 2 Green Hornet Serials were probably some of the best 'Hero" serials.
          Last edited by Ghornet2; 01-12-2015, 10:09 AM.
          Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
          http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
            I'm currently enjoying the 90's Zorro series on Hulu. I'd forgotten how fun it was.

The Black Whip of Zorro's Black Whip was actually never connected to Zorro in the serial. Zorro's name was only there to get some attention. But I do think it was one of the better serials.

The Spy Smasher, Captain Marvel and the 2 Green Hornet Serials were probably some of the best 'Hero" serials.

You are probably right on the Black Whip--Wikipedia indicated that she was a descendant and other sources indicate what you said. All indicate it is one of the better serials--and one of the few to star a woman lead.

Spy Smasher and Adventures of Captain Marvel are my all time favorites with Zorro's Fighting Legion coming in third. Currently, I am watching on You tube The Spider's Web, the Drums of Fu Manchu (critics say it is one of the best of the serials), The Spider Returns, Jungle Girl, The Green Hornet Strikes Back, and Phantom Empire. I watch an episode a day of each of those serials. So far, the second Green Hornet serial is better than the first one. The Spider's Web is very faithful to the pulps (but uses the costume that DE recently used on the Spider). I am hoping to get to King of the Congo based on Thunda soon. I thoroughly enjoyed the Perils of Nyoka (great action by Clayton Moore) but Blackhawk was kind of dry.

Some serials are not available on Youtube. Does anyone know of a link to some of these great serials?

Comment

I too remember that 90's Zorro tv series! My favorite episode was when his ailing fencing master comes to California and is upset that his student Don Diego de la Vega was not using his great skills to fight injustice. SPOILER below:

The ailing fencing master observes Zorro in action, recognizes the techniques that he taught, and dies content. Marvel/Star Comics adapted that story in issue 12 of their licensed run.

Speaking of DE and possible reprints of Zorro properties, I would love a complete run of all the Don McGregor-written Zorro stories from Topps, Image, the newspaper strips, and even Papercutz (a sort of manga-like presentation of Zorro, there were a few solicited comics that never saw print, maybe they are waiting to be printed). Don McGregor created wonderful background characters, developed Don Diego's character trait as a early cartoonist/comicbook artist, put Zorro into unusual graphic comic story adventures (one had Zorro escape the inside of a whale), etc. Now that DE is publishing Lady Rawhide in a team-up with Lady Zorro, let's see if DE can reprint in a series of Trade Paperbacks the greatest comic stories of Zorro!

Comment

I've got the first 6 issues of the papercutz series. A little simple but very fun. I seem to remember that they stopped the series and issues a few TBPs. Maybe like you say they never made it out.
                Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

Originally posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
                  Some serials are not available on Youtube. Does anyone know of a link to some of these great serials?
                  https://archive.org/details/oldtimeradio is a site for radio shows but they also have more than a few Serials that can be downloaded. You just have to switch the search to Movies.

I agree the second Green Hornet serial was much better.

Comment

The Green Hornet Strikes Again is better! Just a couple episodes in watching and one can see Keye Luke as Kato partaking in the fighting, disarming a gunman, etc. And the stunts are more spectacular, fire bringing down a cruise ship to a car taking a header off a draw bridge. The original serial seemed to not have the stunts. I am enjoying it!

I forgot in my discussion of Sherlock Holmes that there is an excellent comic variation called Watson & Holmes, an African-American version of the classic duo. Dr. Watson comes complete with the involvement in the Afghanistan conflict. It was eerie/ironic to have the BBC tv version of Sherlock have Dr. Watson have similar British military involvement in Afghanistan just like Arthur Conan Doyle wrote about years ago.

Another pulp character that will have some difficulty transplanting into another time period like the Lone Ranger is John Carter Warlord of Mars. Unless, John Carter travels to other ERB worlds like Tarzan does, he is sort of trapped on Barsoom. There was another posting thread encouraging DE to negotiate with the ERB people to allow John Carter to travel to ERB's Venus, Moon, Beyond the Farthest Star world, etc. Comics have in the past changed the time period that John Carter has come from as Dell Comics version had John Carter a veteran of the Korean War. A direct to DVD movie called Princess of Mars had John Carter come from the most recent Afghanistan conflict.

I am planning on buying DE's Altered States of Doc Savage and maybe the Shadow. Not a big Vampi fan (I have not bought any since the Warren years, but I understand that Nancy Collins is writing some very Warren-like stories, maybe I'll pick up the trades) nor Red Sonja. DE is promoting these Altered States banner as their versions of DC's Elseworlds and Marvel's What Ifs. I hope that DE models them after the Elseworlds which were graphic novel specials not monthly one-shots that give an alternate endings like Marvel's What Ifs did. I would also suggest that in the future keep these Altered States specials to one a month and give these specials the length of an annual.

Comment

Working...
                    X