Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has the rights to use Will Eisner's The Spirit these days?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has the rights to use Will Eisner's The Spirit these days?

I remember at the end of last year DC had said they no longer had the rights to publish any new adventures of guys like The Spirit and Doc Savage. Does anyone know if another company has picked up those rights yet or not?

I'd love to see Dynamite add The Spirit to its pulp line. He'd be an interesting foil in a team-up with The Shadow or Green Hornet.

It's looking like IDW.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2013/0...id-paul-smith/

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Geez, how many books will that make for Mark Waid as the writer?!?

(But I am enjoying his work on Green Hornet and Marvel's Daredevil.)

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
        I thought the rights had fallen into the public domain now. At least thats what it says on Comic Vine?

Comment

Originally posted by KentAllard View Post
          I thought the rights had fallen into the public domain now. At least thats what it says on Comic Vine?
          Where on Comic Vine?

This page for the Spirit doesn't mention anything about that: http://www.comicvine.com/the-spirit/4005-33297/

I found this page (http://www.comicvine.com/the-spirit/...domain-695403/) where it gets discussed, but I don't know if that is a fact or not.

Comment

I found a page about public domain heroes which did not include the Spirit, but that could just be because they're not aware of it. Mind you, you'd think that if a character with his history fell into the public domain, you'd hear about it.

It's too bad that this stuff often gets so cloudy.

Comment

Eisner negotiated an agreement with the syndicate in which Arnold would copyright The Spirit, but, "Written down in the contract I had with 'Busy' Arnold and this contract exists today as the basis for my copyright ownership Arnold agreed that it was my property. They agreed that if we had a split-up in any way, the property would revert to me on that day that happened. My attorney went to 'Busy' Arnold and his family, and they all signed a release agreeing that they would not pursue the question of ownership."[3] This would include the eventual backup features, "Mr. Mystic" and "Lady Luck."
              From Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_(comics)

Yeah, I would say its safe to say the Spirit isn't public domain.

Comment

And as of this past summer, . . .

Dynamite Acquires Will Eisner's "The Spirit"

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
                  And as of this past summer, . . .

Dynamite Acquires Will Eisner's "The Spirit"
                  Of course, we're still waiting to hear if / what Dynamite plans to do with The Spirit . . .

Comment

Hopefully we won't have to wait as long as when DE first announced they had gotten the rights to Mandrake the Magician. That was about three years before Kings Watch finally appeared.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                      Hopefully we won't have to wait as long as when DE first announced they had gotten the rights to Mandrake the Magician. That was about three years before Kings Watch finally appeared.
                      The sad thing is, Dynamite already has several current titles seriously behind schedule (like the regular Red Sonja book) and also announced things for "late 2014" that have now disappeared off the radar. So I'm not sure how soon it may be before anything further gets announced for The Spirit.

Comment

Bumping this thread up since the actual Spirit series from Dynamite is a go.

Comment

Working...
                        X