No announcement yet.

Green Hornet/The Shadow: Dark Knights series MEGATHREAD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really looking forward to this book, at first I was excited and now I'm really excited because it's the pairing of the two big guns of Dynamite in one title and this really has the chance to be a big seller too if promoted right. I'm hoping to see some fireworks here.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Dark Nights #1

Well, today's the day guys! The first issue of this limited series hits shelves and I'll be first in line in about an hour or so to get my copy!

Let's discuss!

Comment

Must buy for me, but I am going to trade wait it. I just find it easier to manage if it's in trade form.

Comment

I'm about to go read this. Flipped through it in tbe store and the art looked great.

Edit: wow...it was so good! Uslan does a fantastic job weaving the first part of the story, effortlessly giving exposition while keeping the pacing smooth and interspersing bits of Shadow and Green Hornet mythology alongside real history. The characterization is spot on, tbe art is killer, the story has me hooked already. Too soon to tell for sure, but I already think this could be better than Masks and wish Uslan would have wrote it and hope he does more stuff for Dynamite's pulp line.
          Last edited by johnpisme; 07-11-2013, 01:07 AM.

Comment

I have yet to pick it up, but are you able to tell whether The Shadow and Hornet appear to have previously known one another? They are clearly meeting for the first time in Masks, so if there's a certain continutity at work, they should be familiar in this book as well.

Comment

Lot's of praise for the first issue on Twitter yesterday and this morning, hopefully people keep picking it up and enjoy it because it's a title I would like see turned into a monthly book should sales dictate that. Spread the word!
              Dynamite Entertainment
              Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

This issue was spectacular! The interaction between the two characters is always interesting to me, it's like two icons working together to bring justice to all, it's epic and makes me think of other classic teams up's from the 70's and 80's. Also, I hear the orders were extremely high for this book so I'm thinking we will have it around for a while which would be awesome if Dynamite made it a monthly instead of a mini.

Comment

Upon a 2nd and 3rd read I've got to say that all in all I'm a bit disappointed in issue #1 of Dark Nights. The story kind of dragged and aside from the meeting between the two characters and the intro of Shiwan Kahn I really didn't enjoy much of what I was reading at all, sadly. I didn't like the art much either, usually I can look past the art if the story reached out and grabbed me like a group of Yakuza in a dark parking lot, but that just wasn't the case here and what I was left with was a mediocre book (in my opinion).

Comment

This is the best pulp comic Dynamite has done so far, maybe even better than Matt Wagner's Green Hornet and Shadow Year One. Uslan hit a home run on the writing end, and the art is unusual and different, almost like a 1970s-era (non-superhero) style. I wish they'd numbered the pages because I loved the footnotes page, it shows that Uslan has really researched the period and background characters in detail, but I couldn't go back and count every page to reference each item. This series seems like a callback to the old DC 1970s Shadow comic (if they'd had the rights to the Green Hornet), in which Uslan wrote a Shadow/Avenger crossover. I know, I know, people are impatient to see The Shadow and Green Hornet in costume and action, but give it a chance, Uslan is just laying down the background and setting up the conflict in this first issue.

It's great to see The Shadow's agents coming back back in full force.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                      I have yet to pick it up, but are you able to tell whether The Shadow and Hornet appear to have previously known one another? They are clearly meeting for the first time in Masks, so if there's a certain continutity at work, they should be familiar in this book as well.
                      We haven't gotten to the actual GH/Shadow meeting, so it could still go either way.

But in my insane quest to actually come up with a chronological Shadow reading order, I ran across a slight problem. The book has captions for "Spring 1939", but the character go see the Wizard of Oz, which did not premiere until August 1939. Kind of strange that Uslan did all of this research, but slipped up on that detail.

Comment

Originally posted by bluedevil2002 View Post
                        We haven't gotten to the actual GH/Shadow meeting, so it could still go either way.

But in my insane quest to actually come up with a chronological Shadow reading order, I ran across a slight problem. The book has captions for "Spring 1939", but the character go see the Wizard of Oz, which did not premiere until August 1939. Kind of strange that Uslan did all of this research, but slipped up on that detail.
                        I think each different Shadow series and Green Hornet series stands on its own, and is unrelated to the other Dynamite series. As proof of this I point to the fact that in Dark Nights #1, Kent Allard is considered a war hero, but the regular Dynamite Shadow title had a story (forget the issue #, or was it an annual or special) that indicated that Allard was in fact a war criminal, guilty of some pretty heinous atrocities. Matt Wagner's The Shadow Year One doesn't neccesarily relate to either of these backstories for Allard either.

I think Dark Nights is going to turn out to be one of those "together again for the first time" situations.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                          I think Dark Nights is going to turn out to be one of those "together again for the first time" situations.
                          I think you're right.

Comment

Liked Dark Night no1, not as good as their stand alone books but it's definitely good and is setting up a team up nicely.

Comment

Dark Nights #2

Wow, what the hell happened to the art on this book? The art on #1 by the same team was great, but this looks like it was rushed to the presses half assed.

It looks like thumbnail sketches were just inked and colored. The first issue's art was very crisp.

The story is great, no complaints in that department. I like how Uslan is tieing this in with real historical events and making use of the Shadow, Green Hornet and Kato as well as some members of their respective supporting cast. It isn't an over saturation of characters like Masks was.

But the art on this issue... my god. Next time don't rush to print until its done. This looks horrible compared to the first issue and I hope you guys fix it for the trade. If it isn't fixed for the trade it will be very noticeable next to how good the art on #1 was.
                              Last edited by PulpCrazy; 08-17-2013, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Well, it's not Dynamite's usual style of art, I'll give you that. I think I commented on issue #1 that it reminded me of a retro-1970s style (admittedly not everyone's cup of tea, and maybe an acquired taste). I didn't think it was that bad. Totally agree about Uslan's writing however. THIS Shadow and Green Hornet feel more authentic than almost anything else DE's done with the characters. Matt Wagner comes close, but I think I have to give the top marks to Uslan.

Comment

Working...
                                X