What titles are in the same universe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rasx View Post
    Another suggestion DE always does stories with Sherlock Holmes but we never get anything with Prof Challenger. Challengers novels are more sci-fi based and would fit good in comics, they could even do a crossover with Holmes.
    People don't have the recognition factor for the name Challenger that they do for Sherlock Holmes, but once the whole Tarzan thing gets sorted out between DE, ERB, and Dark Horse, something like TARZAN IN THE LOST WORLD might work pretty well. No reason they couldn't throw Holmes into the mix while they're at it. It couldn't hurt.

Comment

G'day,

My idea for a big old time science fiction crossover was the combine HG Wells, Edgar Rice Burroughs and Jules Verne. President Teddy Roosevelt decides to send a military expedition to Mars so the Columbia cannon is dug up and a team is to Mars armed with biological weapons. They meet John Carter and the Barsoomians.

ta

Ralph

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
        My idea for a big old time science fiction crossover was the combine HG Wells, Edgar Rice Burroughs and Jules Verne. President Teddy Roosevelt decides to send a military expedition to Mars so the Columbia cannon is dug up and a team is to Mars armed with biological weapons. They meet John Carter and the Barsoomians.
        Verne's cannon is a bit of a problem for a trip to Mars, as the shell has no motive power of its own and no way to maneuver or course-correct itself, either. Not to mention the amount of explosive they'd need to propel a shell as far as Mars -- they'd need to rebuild the entire cannon accordingly, unless they were planning to drift that far on momentum alone... a longish trip under the best of conditions. How would they have room for enough provisions within the shell? Furthermore, how do they plan to return to Earth?

A Cavorite-shuttered sphere would be the better solution. That would be the state of the art for Roosevelt's time, so why would they use 40-year old Verne tech? Using Cavorite as the motive force, the size and weight of the vessel would be immaterial, since the redirection of gravitons would allow them to move in whatever direction they wanted, regardless. If they suspected that they might encounter Martian War Machines when they got to Mars, they might want to bring along a couple of Verne's mechanical elephants (from The Steam House), armed with heavy cannons and Gatling guns. Bio-weapons, circa 1905? Sounds like the expeditionary force would be as likely to infect themselves with some virulent bacterial strain, unless they had the foresight to bring along biohazard protective suits. What sort of delivery method did you have in mind?

And what happened to Wells' bags-of-brains Martians, then?
        Last edited by pulphero; 10-05-2014, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Have your'll ever seen the cartoon "Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century", one of the best versions of the future of the Victorian novels. I would definitely read something similar to it.

Comment

Have your'll ever seen the cartoon "Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century"
            Can't say I have, or that the idea appeals to me (sight unseen) much, though. One of the things that I like the most about the Holmes stories is the Victorian period setting. That's as much of the attraction to me of those stories as the character of Holmes himself. If they wanted to toss a little steampunk into that mix, or a little H.G. Wells, I guess that's about as science-fictional as I'd want to see it.
            Last edited by pulphero; 10-05-2014, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
              a team is to Mars armed with biological weapons.
              Um... why would they use such horrible things? Aren't they the good guys here?

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                Can't say I have, or that the idea appeals to me (sight unseen) much, though. One of the things that I like the most about the Holmes stories is the Victorian period setting. That's as much of the attraction to me of those stories as the character of Holmes himself. If they wanted to toss a little steampunk into that mix, or a little H.G. Wells, I guess that's about as science-fictional as I'd want to see it.
                Maybe this will change your mind: http://www.veoh.com/watch/v19965863BAn6fd6s?h1=sher22X2
                This future London was done really well and still had a Victorian feel too it.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                  Um... why would they use such horrible things? Aren't they the good guys here?
                  That would be the angle on H.G. Wells' Martians from War of the Worlds. (Ralph sort of assumes when he mentioned Wells and Mars, you know what he's talking about).
                  "biological weapons" = "Kill 'em with bacteria". Which I guess would be the whole reason to send a "military force" to Mars in the first place. So, according to Ralph, when they actually get there, they meet instead John Carter and ERB's Barsoomians... he didn't say what happened to Wells' Martians.

Comment

G'day,

Maybe Wells Martians could be some race ERB never mentioned or creatures created by some Barsoomian scientist. There was a collection of War of the Worlds short stories years ago which had a story of JC stumbling on the invasion force. I'm sure some imaginative writer could have a good time with the basic premise.

ta

Ralph

That would be the angle on H.G. Wells' Martians from War of the Worlds. (Ralph sort of assumes when he mentioned Wells and Mars, you know what he's talking about).
                    "biological weapons" = "Kill 'em with bacteria". Which I guess would be the whole reason to send a "military force" to Mars in the first place. So, according to Ralph, when they actually get there, they meet instead John Carter and ERB's Barsoomians... he didn't say what happened to Wells' Martians.

Comment

Ah, that does make much more sense, and in this case the common cold would be pretty much the only thing one could fight them with.

Comment

I would love if DE would expand the Vampirella/Pantha line with bringing in the ROOK! As a time/space traveler (with a gunfighter grandfather rescued from his young days and Manners the Robot as a foil to Bishop's uncivilized times), the ROOK could springboard other Harris/Warren characters like Dax the Damned, Child (Frankenstein character), the Mummy, the Spook, Hunter, PI, the Goblin, Fighting Armenian, Buck Blaster, Mac Tavish, Coffin (cool western zombie), the Exterminator, etc. with a team up adventure and then launch the following month with a mini series or a one-shot of those characters. Maybe even get Starlin to bring back Darklon the Mystic?

This is the shared universe I would love DE to expand/negotiate/publish.

Comment

I am thinking about trying DE's Vampirella series, but I'm more into SCI-FI/HORROR than Supernatural/Horror. So does DE use the alien origin for her or is she just a standard vampire?
                          At last there's an answer to this, in VAMPIRELLA #6. Current writer Nancy Collins is using the "daughter of Lilith" origin for Vampirella. Of course, not all Vampirella writers are on the same page with that, as Joe Linsner refers to her origin as a Draculonian in the current DAWN VAMPIRELLA miniseries.

Comment

G'day,

Here is an extract of an interview between Michael Uslan and Nancy Collins. It may explain the lack of continuity in DE books.

MU: Did you feel a need to read every Vampi story ever made before first writing this character? Why or why not?

NC: Hell, no. In fact, Dynamite editorial did not want me to. I researched the character online to figure out what changes had been made to her origins and supporting cast. I used that information to decide what to use and what to ignore in my take on the character. Continuity in comics is important, but often it ends up being the tail that wags the dog. I want to tell stories that propel the character forward while acknowledging the past, but not being slavishly tied to it.

Ralph

Comment

Working...
                            X