Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Dynamite thanks to Comixology

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New to Dynamite thanks to Comixology

    While I was a fan of the comics of Green Hornet and the Shadow from the 80's, I could never get into the new dynamite stuff. Something about the overall production was turning me off. Recently I've been trying Waid's GH on the recommendation of Mike and his great Hornet's nest podcast. And I'm glad I did. Quite an enjoyable series so far.

    Recently dynamite had a sale on Comixology. I picked up the Masks mini series, the first 6 issues of the Shadow, and the Spider series. I've only read issue one of Masks. And that was awhile ago. I was very disappointed by Garth Ennis' Shadow.

    BUT the pleasant surprise for me was the Spider. Knew nothing of the current series. Only thing I had read of the character before was the Tim Truman series from the early 90's. Really, really liked this and hurried to get the rest of the series before the sale ended. And of course I read this series is ending with 18. Oh well.

    The point of this is that thanks for making it easy and cheap to sample some books. Now you have a new fan and I will be trying other books from dynamite soon.

  • #2
    Originally posted by the1captain View Post
    I was very disappointed by Garth Ennis' Shadow.
    The Shadow is available from Dynamite in many different flavors. If the Garth Ennis version wasn't to your taste, try The Shadow NOW by David Liss and Colton Worley (the same team as the original Spider arc). Or since you like The Green Hornet, try Michael Uslan's The Shadow/Green Hornet: Dark Nights. Or Matt Wagner's The Shadow Year One (and while you're at it, check out his Green Hornet Year One). For that matter, Dynamite's ongoing Shadow series as written by Chris (Masks) Roberson is a whole different animal from Garth Ennis' initial run, so you may want to give the later issues (#13-18) another shot. If you're a fan of Howard Chaykin's 1986 The Shadow: Blood and Judgment, you should also keep an eye on ComiXology for his new miniseries, The Shadow: Midnight in Moscow, not yet scheduled, but probably due sometime early in 2014.

    So far, all of these series seem to function pretty much independently of one another. The only real continuity established is between The Shadow: Blood and Judgment and The Shadow NOW. It's worth noting that The Shadow's mind-clouding powers, as well has his persona in both the Shadow and Cranston identities, seem to be treated differently by every writer that handles the character, so there may well be one that appeals to you.
    Last edited by pulphero; 10-11-2013, 06:41 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by pulphero View Post
      The Shadow is available from Dynamite in many different flavors. If the Garth Ennis version wasn't to your taste, try The Shadow NOW by David Liss and Colton Worley (the same team as the original Spider arc). Or since you like The Green Hornet, try Michael Uslan's The Shadow/Green Hornet: Dark Nights. Or Matt Wagner's The Shadow Year One (and while you're at it, check out his Green Hornet Year One). For that matter, Dynamite's ongoing Shadow series as written by Chris (Masks) Roberson is a whole different animal from Garth Ennis' initial run, so you may want to give the later issues (#13-18) another shot. If you're a fan of Howard Chaykin's 1986 The Shadow: Blood and Judgment, you should also keep an eye on ComiXology for his new miniseries, The Shadow: Midnight in Moscow, not yet scheduled, but probably due sometime early in 2014.

      So far, all of these series seem to function pretty much independently of one another. The only real continuity established is between The Shadow: Blood and Judgment and The Shadow NOW. It's worth noting that The Shadow's mind-clouding powers, as well has his persona in both the Shadow and Cranston identities, seem to be treated differently by every writer that handles the character, so there may well be one that appeals to you.
      I've tried some of Green Hornet: Year One and liked it alot. Will eventually get the rest later. I will likely try The Shadow: Now in a bit. I wait for the price drop on Comixology. I am very interested in Shadow: Year One. Will wait for a sale or cheap at a con. Very excited for the upcoming Shadow/Grendel crossover. Thanks for the suggestions!

      Comment


      • #4
        Welcome aboard, man! I'm glad to see the big sale they had did well and that new fans were created from it! Hope to see you around here a lot!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by TheRetroVideoGameAddict View Post
          Welcome aboard, man! I'm glad to see the big sale they had did well and that new fans were created from it! Hope to see you around here a lot!
          Thanks! Looking forward to trying some different books.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by pulphero View Post
            The Shadow is available from Dynamite in many different flavors. If the Garth Ennis version wasn't to your taste, try The Shadow NOW by David Liss and Colton Worley (the same team as the original Spider arc). Or since you like The Green Hornet, try Michael Uslan's The Shadow/Green Hornet: Dark Nights. Or Matt Wagner's The Shadow Year One (and while you're at it, check out his Green Hornet Year One). For that matter, Dynamite's ongoing Shadow series as written by Chris (Masks) Roberson is a whole different animal from Garth Ennis' initial run, so you may want to give the later issues (#13-18) another shot. If you're a fan of Howard Chaykin's 1986 The Shadow: Blood and Judgment, you should also keep an eye on ComiXology for his new miniseries, The Shadow: Midnight in Moscow, not yet scheduled, but probably due sometime early in 2014.

            So far, all of these series seem to function pretty much independently of one another. The only real continuity established is between The Shadow: Blood and Judgment and The Shadow NOW. It's worth noting that The Shadow's mind-clouding powers, as well has his persona in both the Shadow and Cranston identities, seem to be treated differently by every writer that handles the character, so there may well be one that appeals to you.
            To add to this, I was disappointed in Ennis' Shadow myself but I was hearing such good things about issues 7-12 that I suffered through it, and boy am I glad I did. Victor Gischler takes over writing duties for 7-12 and they are much more fun than the initial arc (The Spanish Civil War, George Orwell, and The Black Canary FTW!). Add to that the epic Roberson work from issue 13 on and you have yourself one good looking Shadow. My wife has been considering reading The Shadow herself and I am debating starting her with issues 7-12 and then jumping back to 1-6 just because of how good everything post issue six has been.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kingcooger View Post
              To add to this, I was disappointed in Ennis' Shadow myself but I was hearing such good things about issues 7-12 that I suffered through it, and boy am I glad I did. Victor Gischler takes over writing duties for 7-12 and they are much more fun than the initial arc (The Spanish Civil War, George Orwell, and The Black Canary FTW!). Add to that the epic Roberson work from issue 13 on and you have yourself one good looking Shadow. My wife has been considering reading The Shadow herself and I am debating starting her with issues 7-12 and then jumping back to 1-6 just because of how good everything post issue six has been.
              Now I'm kicking myself. Because for the Comixology sale I only bought the first six issues of the shadow. As I wanted to spread the little bit of money I could spend on trying different books. Like I'm very glad I did with the Spider. Next time Comixology has a sale I'll try those other Shadow issues.

              Comment

              Working...
              X