Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NICK BARUCCI: The MEGATHREAD of "PLEASE GIVE US MORE PULP"!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CEO/Publisher

Pulp Hero/Ghornet2,

Going to some of your points, especially bringing up Midnight in Moscow. That was announced last San Diego, and it did have a long window, and due to that, it's an example of how few sites covered it once it was solicited. And I think it did lose sales potential because of it. And this also makes me realize that when I feel like I said that we had this announcement coming, I didn't even remember myself that because it was long ago, some fans knew, but not all, and we didn't get the lift we wanted.

There is also one more thing about giving away too much on the boards. I want to keep you guys happy. You're our customers, our supporters, and are important to us. It's almost like family. But the thing is, if we let the info out here, for the fans to know, if a site decides it's good info, and they run it to be ahead of the other sites, then when we do announce officially, the other sites may say "eh, didn't this run on so and so's site already.", which would also kill projects.

I'm a fan too. I understand. It's a tough balancing act, and I thank you both for your understanding.

best!

Nick

Comment

• Without looking for specific details, is it safe to ask if we're seeing more of a shift to a series of mini-series approach for these characters? I'm sitting out on the Chaykin Shadow series for various reasons...might get the trade down the road. But, I'm still interested in future Shadow projects, and I'm hoping there are more to come.

I think some panic (for lack of a better work) set in because the final issue of the Shadow ongoing was solicited the same month as the last issue of Shadow Now, a one-shot, and the penultimate Shadow Year One issue. Then, the Chaykin series was solicited either that month or the next. So, to a semi-casual observer, it looked like the Shadow could be wrapping up at Dynamite, and you were just getting those last projects out of the pipeline.

Comment

• Can we have more Lord of the Jungle and Warlord (not just Dejah) of Mars?

Comment

• By the way, this came up elsewhere on the boards, but since you're here and we're talking about a variety of books including those, I know I am a minority, but I love the more beefcake-centric covers and always prefer them to the cheesecake ones. Thank you for providing those, and please keep them coming!

Comment

• G'day,

At least get Tarzan back to Earth.

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
            Can we have more Lord of the Jungle and Warlord (not just Dejah) of Mars?

Comment

• PULPy enough for ya?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/04/...d-the-avenger/

Oh Nick, you sly dog, you.

Now some wiseguy is gonna complain that Green Hornet, Spider and Black Bat aren't in there.
              Last edited by pulphero; 04-19-2014, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• CEO/Publisher

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/04/...d-the-avenger/

Oh Nick, you sly dog, you.

Now some wiseguy is gonna complain that Green Hornet, Spider and Black Bat aren't in there.
                Wait? Green Hornet, the Spider and Black Bat aren't in there!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

There, someone said it.

;-)

Comment

• CEO/Publisher

Originally posted by bluedevil2002 View Post
                  Without looking for specific details, is it safe to ask if we're seeing more of a shift to a series of mini-series approach for these characters? I'm sitting out on the Chaykin Shadow series for various reasons...might get the trade down the road. But, I'm still interested in future Shadow projects, and I'm hoping there are more to come.

I think some panic (for lack of a better work) set in because the final issue of the Shadow ongoing was solicited the same month as the last issue of Shadow Now, a one-shot, and the penultimate Shadow Year One issue. Then, the Chaykin series was solicited either that month or the next. So, to a semi-casual observer, it looked like the Shadow could be wrapping up at Dynamite, and you were just getting those last projects out of the pipeline.
                  Blue Devil - there's no cookie cut answer to this. It depends on the creators and the stories. If a creator who we want to work with has a six issue mini-series story, then it will be a mini-series. If a creator wants to do a longer story, but we feel it may only sell 4 or 5 or 6 or 8 issues, then it will be a mini-series. If a creator has an ongoing series to write and we think it can sell, then we'll move forward as such. Everything needs to be evaluated on it's own merits, and we need to be really careful. We can't afford another run of a great book but it doesn't sell.

best!

Nick

Comment

• CEO/Publisher

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                    Can we have more Lord of the Jungle and Warlord (not just Dejah) of Mars?
                    Working on stuff. Keep your fingers crossed is all I can say.

Comment

• Originally posted by nickybdynamite View Post
                      How about a re-print tpb of some Ron Fortier "Now Comics" Green Hornet stuff followed by a GH mini-series written by the man himself Ron Fortier?! When I interviewed him for my "Hornet's Nest" podcast he said he would LOVE to do it if asked!!!

Comment

• Damn. I really want a poster of that Alex Ross cover for Justice Inc. #1. This is like, my dream team-up from 1973. The "Big Three" of the paperback pulp era. I just think the Street & Smith characters were better written (and maybe better edited by John Nanovic, too) on average than most of the other hero pulps: Lester Dent on Doc Savage, Walter Gibson on The Shadow, and Paul Ernst on The Avenger. And in the mass-market paperback era, they certainly had the best cover artwork as well: James Bama (later Bob Larkin) on Doc, Steranko on the Shadow, Peter Caras (later George Gross) on The Avenger. Yeah, I know there were other writers and artists as well, but even the "second best" guys on these three characters were often better than guys writing and painting covers for other pulp paperback reprint characters. The only exceptions I can think of are Edmond Hamilton writing Captain Future, and Edgar Rice Burroughs writing... well, whatever series he was working on.

I think it might be time for a DYNAMITE ART OF ALEX ROSS 2. And while we're at it, a DYNAMITE ART OF FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA, and a DYNAMITE ART OF JOHN CASSADAY.

Comment

Wait? Green Hornet, the Spider and Black Bat aren't in there!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

There, someone said it.

;-)
                          Here's hope that was a hint!!
                          Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                          http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                            Damn. I really want a poster of that Alex Ross cover for Justice Inc. #1. This is like, my dream team-up from 1973. The "Big Three" of the paperback pulp era. I just think the Street & Smith characters were better written (and maybe better edited by John Nanovic, too) on average than most of the other hero pulps: Lester Dent on Doc Savage, Walter Gibson on The Shadow, and Paul Ernst on The Avenger. And in the mass-market paperback era, they certainly had the best cover artwork as well: James Bama (later Bob Larkin) on Doc, Steranko on the Shadow, Peter Caras (later George Gross) on The Avenger. Yeah, I know there were other writers and artists as well, but even the "second best" guys on these three characters were often better than guys writing and painting covers for other pulp paperback reprint characters. The only exceptions I can think of are Edmond Hamilton writing Captain Future, and Edgar Rice Burroughs writing... well, whatever series he was working on.

I think it might be time for a DYNAMITE ART OF ALEX ROSS 2.
                            What he said.!!!
                            Alex Ross "hit it out of the park" on that JUSTICE INC. #1 cover. What a GREAT cover.!! Alex Ross has really done some very Classic covers for D.E. and it is appreciated, I'm sure, from many quarters.

Best wishes on this series. I hope it sells well and we are given many great stories with these three great pulp heroes at the forefront.

Will Alex Ross be doing any covers for the new Project: Super Powers?? I sincerely hope so.
                            Thanks, Nick, for bringing these GREAT pulp heroes together in a book called: JUSTICE INC.

Comment

And more beefcake too plsthx.

Comment

• that Ross cover is excellent.

Comment

Working...
                                X