Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NICK BARUCCI: The MEGATHREAD of "PLEASE GIVE US MORE PULP"!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
    Dynamite could do a lot worse than to emulate the Marvel Comics editorial formula of the 1960s.
    Seconded. This is the closest thing I know to that, and there are so few of us who post here.

Comment

• Yeah, and you know, you rarely see any posts here from DE's creative people in response. Nick posts once in a great while (he's the publisher, so you can imagine he's pretty busy). I know John (Damsels, Sherlock Holmes) Reppion posts fairly frequently, and I remember Ande Park used to post regularly, too. I think I've seen some posts from Simon Bowland (letterer). But that's about it. Where are DE's editors? You'd think it would be to their advantage to keep their fingers on the pulse of what DE's readers are talking about, asking for, and what they like and dislike. Yes, we know that "the fans" make up only about .01% of the total buyers of comics, but at least it's *some* kind of barometer; it doesn't mean the editors have to slavishly comply with all our wishes, because obviously they're privy to other factors behind the scenes that we aren't, and you can't always just "give the people what they want", sometimes you have to give them what they don't expect. It's my contention that it's that lack of interactivity between Dynamite's editors (or writers and artists) and its readers that hurts the company, makes DE seem faceless and all "just business". Over on IDW's forums, there's a fair amount of interactivity between at least *some* of the editors and the fans.

EDIT: So, I checked a few DE comics' inside covers to see if I could find the editors' names. No individual editorial credits are given along with the other creators' credits, but a small box in the lower left-hand corner of the inside front cover lists (in tiny type):
      Joe Rybandt, Senior Editor
      Hannah Gorfinkle, Associate Editor
      Molly Mahan, Assistant Editor

That little box seems not to change between any DE title I looked at, so presumably, between these three they're responsible for editing Dynamite's entire line of titles (however the job duties between Senior, Associate, and Assistant are broken down at Dynamite). That same box lists Josh Johnson as Art Director and Josh Green as Traffic Coodinator; those titles seem more-or-less self-explanatory. My guess would be that Joe is Editor-In-Chief (probably doing scheduling and assigning creative personnel to each title), Hannah is the main hands-on editor dealing with the creative talent on individual titles, and Molly does assistant-y things to make Hannah's life easier and free up her time for more important stuff. But you'd think at least one of those people would read and sometimes comment on the threads in these forums. Now that I think of it, I do recall the name Joe Rybandt popping up in some of Dynamite's press releases, but usually it's Nick Barrucci who's the spokesperson when DE unveils some major news.

I've mentioned on another thread that I've recently been reading TwoMorrows' exhaustive multi-volume history, American Comic Book Chronicles, written by John Wells. This series of hardcover books, each covering a different decade of American comic book history, is certain to become the new benchmark among the many general comics histories written thus far. You could teach a college-level course on comic books using these as the text! So many important events took place in the 1960s, however, that Wells needed to break it down into two volumes, 1960-1964 and 1965-1969. I'm currently reading the former volume, and one thing that Wells points out, is that the institution of letters pages in comic books in the early 60s (formerly uncommon, except in the EC titles in the 1950s) had a huge transformative effect on comic books. He points to the analog with the letter pages in science fiction pulp magazines in the 1930s and 1940s, and how they were crucial in forming the foundation of science fiction fandom, and to the growth and evolution of science fiction as a genre. The rise of letters pages and comics fandom in the 1960s had a similar revolutionary effect on comic books. For the first time, creative credits began to matter in comic books, and formerly anonymous artists and writers began to take a little bit of pride in their work, where they'd previously labored in faceless obscurity, many even actually ashamed of what they did for a living, and looking for an exit to work in a more respectable medium. Although that particular situation no longer exists, Wells points out how letter writers connected with each other in a network and there began to be a spirit of community among readers, especially among those of a given publisher, or even those of a particular editor who took an interest and had a sort of give-and-take with the readers. (For example, at DC there were a group of readers whose main focus was on the Julius Schwartz-edited titles, because Schwartz was a little more interactive in the letters pages than some of DC's other editors.) It gave the readers a feeling of belonging, and that their opinions and desires mattered. All of the foregoing is merely to point out that Dynamite could use a little of that give-and-take to help give the company a leg up in this industry.
      Last edited by pulphero; 05-31-2014, 04:32 AM.

Comment

• Dynamite should really listen to it's readers with these ideas and try them out. These books were once successful and can be again with the right format (4 issue mini twice a year) and with some promotion on the front page of Newsarama and CBR, plus Twitter and FB. They need to get a reletively big name to front these books and really push them hard in the social media space. I wouldn't mind seeing 2 Shadow mini's, 2 GH mini's, 1 Black Bat mini, 1 Spider mini, and one Doc savage mini per year, as well as a mini for Miss Fury too or whatever else they want to give us. Just give us something more than a mash up series like Justice Inc, which I am looking forward to but I want more.

Comment

• Nick Barucci, from the heart.

Nick, let's take the gloves off for a sec, shall we?

I think what's bothering me, and many other readers here, is that we are left in the dark as to the future of this line. We're not asking for early solicits here or for info pertaining to stories and creators, we just want to know if there is more pulp in the pipeline and in what form we should expect it.

For instance, if we aren't going to get any mini's starring The Spider and Black Bat than just tell us and set that expectation. If all we're going to see is Midnight in Moscow and Justice Inc and then we're done, than again, set that expectation. Don't string us along and tell us "announcements are coming!" and "we'll see, you never know what the future holds!" when it may hold nothing at all. You might not be doing that but to many readers it feels that way. We just want to be kept in the loop, the fans posting here are the "hardcore" fans who deserve to be thrown a bone once in a while and when long periods of time go by during all these cancellations and we have no idea if the well is dry or not just isn't fair. Please spare us speeches about business and whatnot and just give us SOMETHING to go one. Please.

Sincerely, your hardcore fanbase,

Comment

• I'm guessing we won't know much about what's going on with the pulp titles until after Justice Inc hits shelves. I'm not interested in team up's with other companies or more multi-character titles, I want to know more about solo titles and mini's.

Comment

• Originally posted by BslytheGamerGuy View Post
              I'm guessing we won't know much about what's going on with the pulp titles until after Justice Inc hits shelves. I'm not interested in team up's with other companies or more multi-character titles, I want to know more about solo titles and mini's.
              Actually, I wouldn't mind crossovers with Dark Horse's Lobster Johnson and/or Black Beetle and Dynamite pulp books . . . the more exposure, the better for the Dynamite titles.

Comment

• Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
                Actually, I wouldn't mind crossovers with Dark Horse's Lobster Johnson and/or Black Beetle and Dynamite pulp books . . . the more exposure, the better for the Dynamite titles.
                That would be great. Dark Horse would most likely be interested if offered The Shadow or Green Hornet. Who knows if Oregonian Mike Richardson and New Jerseyite Nick Barrucci ever even talk to each other.

Did you know Dark Horse Entertainment once planned on producing a Green Hornet film in the mid-1990s? Oh, if only that had happened, instead of what actually DID happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by BslytheGamerGuy View Post
                  I'm guessing we won't know much about what's going on with the pulp titles until after Justice Inc hits shelves. I'm not interested in team up's with other companies or more multi-character titles, I want to know more about solo titles and mini's.
                  Yeah, but at least Joe Rybandt tried to sound positive without actually committing specifics.

Comment

• Plenty of Dynamite books do not get the credit or sales they deserve. Mark Waid's Green Hornet is one of my favorite comics ever, and that had to be cancelled. That being said, I appreciate Dynamite keeping the books going as long as they do. Thanks for putting out great comics every month, Dynamite!

Comment

Working...
                    X