Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NICK BARUCCI: The MEGATHREAD of "PLEASE GIVE US MORE PULP"!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pulpfan View Post
    I could be wrong, but I don't think Dynamite normally does those announcments in cons. In fact, nothing is really announced in cons by most publishers this days.
    IIRC, the last bunch of announcements DE made about various new series (mostly writers like Mark Waid on Green Hornet, Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning on Battlerstar Galactica, a couple of creator-owned series from Andy Diggle and Garth Ennis as part of a new crime line) came out of NY Comicon. I'd have to go find the actual news story to confirm, but that's my recollection.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
      IIRC, the last bunch of announcements DE made about various new series (mostly writers like Mark Waid on Green Hornet, Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning on Battlerstar Galactica, a couple of creator-owned series from Andy Diggle and Garth Ennis as part of a new crime line) came out of NY Comicon. I'd have to go find the actual news story to confirm, but that's my recollection.
      I was talking in terms of announcing new characters. I don't think they normall do that in cons.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadster View Post
        I look at it like a universe with the older GH and Shadow having taken place long before younger GH and The Spider.
        I think if you examine this idea closely, you'll find this is not the case. "Kevin Smith's Green Hornet" is the son of an earlier Green Hornet named Britt Reid, but not one whose career began in the 1930s. That would make him far too old to be the younger Britt's father. Also, the first Kato (Mulan's father) appearing in KSGH isn't the same as the one from the 1930s. He's old, but not that old!

The Richard Wentworth appearing in David Liss' The Spider series isn't a descendant of the 1938 Spider in Masks, either. Green Hornet Year One (and Kato Origins) is a parallel universe to Kevin Smith's Green Hornet, in the same way as DC used to have an Earth-1 with a Justice League and and Earth-2 with a Justice Society (come to think of it, they still do, but they are not the same universes as the original Earth-1 and Earth-2). The Green Hornet Year One, the 1938 Spider, and The Shadow are in one universe, the universe of Masks. And David Liss' The Spider is in a different parallel universe, but it doesn't appear to be the same one as Kevin Smith's Green Hornet, as far as I can tell. Green Hornet Strikes! appears to be yet another parallel universe, not the same universe as either Green Hornet Year One or Kevin Smith's Green Hornet.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

CEO/Publisher

Pulp Fan/Everyone,

Thanks for your support.

I hope that the holidays have treated you all well.

best!

Nick

Comment

Holidays treated me to 10 Dynamite trades, and my son's first birthday.

Comment

I think if you examine this idea closely, you'll find this is not the case. "Kevin Smith's Green Hornet" is the son of an earlier Green Hornet named Britt Reid, but not one whose career began in the 1930s. That would make him far too old to be the younger Britt's father. Also, the first Kato (Mulan's father) appearing in KSGH isn't the same as the one from the 1930s. He's old, but not that old!

The Richard Wentworth appearing in David Liss' The Spider series isn't a descendant of the 1938 Spider in Masks, either. Green Hornet Year One (and Kato Origins) is a parallel universe to Kevin Smith's Green Hornet, in the same way as DC used to have an Earth-1 with a Justice League and and Earth-2 with a Justice Society (come to think of it, they still do, but they are not the same universes as the original Earth-1 and Earth-2). The Green Hornet Year One, the 1938 Spider, and The Shadow are in one universe, the universe of Masks. And David Liss' The Spider is in a different parallel universe, but it doesn't appear to be the same one as Kevin Smith's Green Hornet, as far as I can tell. Green Hornet Strikes! appears to be yet another parallel universe, not the same universe as either Green Hornet Year One or Kevin Smith's Green Hornet.
              It's all what you make of it. I too kind of clump them together into one single universe and it's fun to come up with ideas as to why and how they all share it, just because you don't doesn't mean others can't. I'm sure none of these titles are truly meant to share a "universe", but it's fun to put the pieces together to bring them all together into one universe with multiple timelines.

Comment

I know that its not the "case" but it's okay to make of it what you will as manga said earlier. I kind of toss them all together and find ways to make it work and its fun for me, so why not?

Originally posted by manga4life View Post
                It's all what you make of it. I too kind of clump them together into one single universe and it's fun to come up with ideas as to why and how they all share it, just because you don't doesn't mean others can't. I'm sure none of these titles are truly meant to share a "universe", but it's fun to put the pieces together to bring them all together into one universe with multiple timelines.
                AMEN! I do the same thing and it's making my experience better with these comics!

Comment

They should just design some sort of "Dynamite PULP" imprint and stick it in the corner of all the covers.

But then I guess you get to the hair splitting of what should be included, and what not. Zorro, Lord of the Jungle, Warlord of Mars and Buck Rogers are legit and for real characters originating in the pulps, while Green Hornet and Lone Ranger are not (but there was a Lone Ranger pulp magazine, regardless of the fact that you wouldn't recognize the character on the cover as the Lone Ranger we know...). Flash Gordon and The Phantom originated in newspaper comic strips - should they be included? Or is the defining virtue here that of "vigilante crime fighter", whether set in the 1930s/1940s era or not? Should westerns, jungle adventure and science fiction be excluded, even though there were plenty of pulps telling stories in those genres? The universe blurs around the edges.

Maybe, instead of "Dynamite PULP", "Dynamite CLASSIC" might be more accurate and inclusive.
                  Last edited by positronic; 01-02-2013, 09:19 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of imprint logo located at the top right hand side of the comics, it would distinguish what is actually a part of the line and what isn't. Personally, i just lump a lot of the pulp and classic characters together into one category, I just do it to avoid confusion and I don't mind clumping them together one bit. I just love these books regardless of what's considered "pulp", "classic", or any other tag that could be applied to these characters, it's all "fun" to me.

Comment

It may well be coming. I mention this and it is on my mind because I see that Dynamite has already designed an imprint logo for its upcoming "Dynamite CRIME" line. Check the back cover ad on this month's DE titles for Garth Ennis' RED TEAM. The imprint is a proven concept - a way of cross-promoting titles within a publisher's list, and establishing a brand identity in the minds of consumers.
                      Last edited by positronic; 01-02-2013, 01:25 PM.

Comment

It may well be coming. I mention this and it is on my mind because I see that Dynamite has already designed an imprint logo for its upcoming "Dynamite CRIME" line. Check the back cover ad on this month's DE titles for Garth Ennis' RED TEAM. The imprint is a proven concept - a way of cross-promoting titles within a publisher's list, and establishing a brand identity in the minds of consumers.
                        Yeah, but that either gets costumers to get more books or to stay away because they may fear an eventual need to buy every book instead of just one.
                        I don't know, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'll leave that to people that know more than me about business.

Comment

I don't know, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
                          I think all that proves is that imprints DO establish a brand identity in the mind of the consumer. Whether that identity is perceived by the consumer as positive or negative can be a double-edged sword.

Comment

Originally posted by nickybdynamite View Post
                            There is one license that I know we won't be getting the rights to, but not my place to say. It's unfortunate, we're disappointed, but you'll know which it is when you see the announcements for the ones we do have (or when our friendly competitor announces their license).
                            So, I guess I was right and it was the Spirit.

Comment

So, I guess I was right and it was the Spirit.
                              Maybe I'm just slow and you need to spell it out for me. Um, how would we know from what Dynamite did announce they had the license to (and I think I must have missed that announcement, whatever it was) what was, I'm guessing, "obviously" missing? And even if someone else has The Spirit, how do we know that's what Nick was talking about? It's not like it's part of some group of characters that stands out as being "the missing piece". Maybe it was Thunder Agents. Just as likely, from what I can see.

Comment

Positronic, IDW has recently announced that they had grabbed the rights to The Spirit and that they'll be doing a series on him teaming up with The Rocketeer. Written by Waid, no less.

http://www.comicbastards.com/homepag...spirit-pu.html
                                Dynamite Entertainment
                                Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Working...
                                X