Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NICK BARUCCI: The MEGATHREAD of "PLEASE GIVE US MORE PULP"!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I had read IDW had The Spirit. And I have no problem imagining IDW or Dark Horse doing it. Can't really see it as a Dynamite book myself, but really what I'm asking here is what makes you conclude that this is the property that DE tried to snag and missed? And what about Nick's statement "you'll know when you see the announcement of the ones we do have"? That was a while ago and I still haven't seen any announcement of "the ones we (DE) do have"...
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Well, DE has a full plate right now with the recent Green Hornet launch, Miss Fury, Black Bat, Grimm, and Red Sonja, I'm sure they don't want to completely overload us at this time. I'm sure more announcements will be coming at the SDCC this summer and beyond.
      Dynamite Entertainment
      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Bah, I have never liked IDW and the fact that they have The Spirit is more annoying than anything else. They probably saw the success of The Shadow and Masks and figured it would be cool to try and get into the pulp stuff and profit from it, which is fine, but I would have liked Dynamite to get The Spirit and IDW to get Doc Savage or someone else I couldn't care less about.

Oh well.

Comment

IDW is doing an excellent job with GI Joe. Locke & Key is a good too.

Comment

IDWs ROCKETEER books have been spectacular, actually. I hope they can do the same with The Spirit. Wile I actually enjoyed DCs run with him quite a bit, I understand I'm in the minority.

Comment

Judging by what they have done with The Rocketeer, I think (and *hope*, pending announcement of creative teams) that The Spirit will be a good fit at IDW. They have been slowly adding titles I like, after I mainly ignored them for a number of years (I never was a huge G.I Joe, Transformers, Ghostbusters, or Dr. Who guy). First I started just getting Godzilla, then added Star Trek, then The Rocketeer, Popeye & Popeye Classic Comics, Mars Attacks, and recently Judge Dredd. Planning on adding THUNDER Agents and The Spirit, too. So they've slowly turned into my 2nd favorite comic book company. They also have the most interesting line of reprint projects, apart from Fantagraphics Books and Dark Horse. Let's not forget they did a MISS FURY reprint first! Yeah, Dynamite should do more reprint collections while they're at it.
              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Public Domain Pulp Characters

Over at the public domain superheroes wikia we've been researching into the copyright status of many characters including one from pulps. Since just like Project Superpowers these characters require no license might be worth checking into. Some examples would be Moon Man, Domino Lady, X the Phantom Fed, etc.

Link:
                http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Pulp_Characters

Comment

Not bad to know in case you're into that whole self-publishing print-on-demand thing. Also for comic book companies looking for prefabricated characters. Again, must have been a ton of work. Appreciate the link.

Comment

Thanks, it is a lot of work at times, but it also fun discovering all these forgotten characters.

Comment

With Waid's Green Hornet, the current Green Hornet, The Shadow, The Spider, Miss Fury, and The Black Bat as the core line of the Dynamite pulp books I think they should add maybe one more monthly ongoing and that's it. I'm seriously thinking Masks should stick to be an 8 issue maxi-series that returns every year with a new chapter and maybe one more pulp related superhero book to flesh out the line.

Green Hornet
                      Green Hornet Legacy
                      The Shadow
                      The Spider
                      Miss Fury
                      The Black Bat
                      Masks (yearly)
                      (Insert 7th ongoing here)

Comment

I'd vote for doc savage as the 7th title. Didn't like the most recent DC take but I'd like to see dynamite give him a try.
                        Last edited by Ghornet2; 04-05-2013, 05:14 PM.
                        Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                        Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                        http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                          Positronic, IDW has recently announced that they had grabbed the rights to The Spirit and that they'll be doing a series on him teaming up with The Rocketeer. Written by Waid, no less.

http://www.comicbastards.com/homepag...spirit-pu.html
                          I just read this again. In my haste and excitement about the announcement I completely glossed over what appears now to be a key fact (and right there in the headline announcement):

IDW AND DC ANNOUNCE THE ROCKETEER/THE SPIRIT: PULP FRICTION BY MARK WAID.

At first I just assumed, yay, IDW will be publishing The Spirit, and to start out, just as DC started with a Batman & The Spirit crossover, IDW will start with a Rocketeer & The Spirit crossover.
                          But wait a second.... IDW AND DC ANNOUNCE...? This makes it sound as if The Spirit hasn't left DC's clutches after all, and while they're sitting on their hands deciding what to do with him, they agreed to loan him out to IDW for a little intercompany crossover series.

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                            Yes, I had read IDW had The Spirit. And I have no problem imagining IDW or Dark Horse doing it. Can't really see it as a Dynamite book myself, but really what I'm asking here is what makes you conclude that this is the property that DE tried to snag and missed? And what about Nick's statement "you'll know when you see the announcement of the ones we do have"? That was a while ago and I still haven't seen any announcement of "the ones we (DE) do have"...
                            Uhhh... This thread was created because of Doc, Spirit and Avenger and that was what Mr Barrucci was refering to?

Comment

Originally posted by pulpfan View Post
                              Uhhh... This thread was created because of Doc, Spirit and Avenger and that was what Mr Barrucci was refering to?
                              Was he? Where did he mention them?

Comment

Well, as the OP (and many of us) wanted, the pulp line is expanding and has expanded since the first post was made. Black Bat, Miss Fury, and new crossovers have graced us and the possible announcement of more acquired pulp heroes loom. Great job of being vocal, everyone!

Comment

Working...
                                X