No announcement yet.

The Miss Fury series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read this just a few minutes ago and really quite liked it. The way it kept bouncing between time was pretty cool and Drake's attitude toward her deceased father and to the guy at the museum was pretty cool, she's a bit of a badass. The writing was extremely well done and the art ranged from real good to freakin' awesome depending upon the scene, but all in all the production on this book was rad. I can't wait to see issue #2, issue #1 left off with a bit of a cliffhanger and I'm pumped to see what comes next.

Comment

Issue #1 was a good one, indeed. If you like strong female heroes with a tinge of "bitch" to them than you'll absolutely love this book, especially if you like "sex appeal" which this book has plenty of. You know what else it has plenty of? Story! She spends the issue plotting to steal a crown from a museum despite being filthy rich, it makes for a really neat and interesting tale and I hope everyone here enjoys it and comes back for a second issue.
      Dynamite Entertainment
      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

I just read it as well...it was great! Actually exceeded my expectations.

Comixfan is right, there was a lot of story. It was all story and character building around Fury. There are many seeds sow. For the future.

The most important decision they made with this comic, though...the sex and swearing. I dislike avoiding these things like some comics do. It takes me out of the story when there is obvious attempts to sanitize something. Thank God that they didn't do this with Miss Fury. I was a bit worried about this title being what I wanted it to be, but it turned out it is even better. This gives me hope for Black Bat.

Comment

The story is what's important here. I think people will write this off as a "T&A" title, but it really is so much more than that. It's quite awesome how the story flowed and the character really splashed out of the page within the first issue and showed her true colors.
          Dynamite Entertainment
          Forum Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
            The story is what's important here. I think people will write this off as a "T&A" title, but it really is so much more than that. It's quite awesome how the story flowed and the character really splashed out of the page within the first issue and showed her true colors.
            I'm afraid of this too. This isn't a butt n' boobs book, despite some of the interior scenes that may make others think so. Once they read about her thief lifestyle and see the action that has unfolded than I'm sure they'll change their minds, it's just a matter of getting them to give this book a shot.

I sure hope that they do.

Comment

I dont mean to say that having sex or nudity is important just for its own sake...just that not sanitizing it out of a book to appeal to a wider audience or to be kid friendly when doing that would be unrealistic or uncharacteristic is a great move. No other Dynamite pulp book is unafraid of this like Miss Fury seems to be. I admire that.

Comment

There's sex and nudity in the book? That surprises me. Looked like they were pretty directly targeting the same readers as DC's Catwoman, with about the same rating (not that I would consider Catwoman an "all ages" title per se, more like PG-13).
                DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Yeah, nothing hardcore though. They do use at least one "fuck" as well. There's nothing gratuitous about it whatsoever, it's just good that they aren't avoiding it. I don't think there's much of a chance anyone would think of this as a "T&A book" like comixfan suggested people might. There is certainly much more to the book than that. I just think it would have been odd to avoid an aspect of the character that has always been present. For instance check out this old Fury strip:

Comment

So, pretty much the same as Catwoman, except for dropping the F-bomb. "Implied" or "suggestive" sex and nudity (as opposed to actual) = pretty much PG-13. Probably mild by comparison to something like Dejah Thoris and the Green Men of Mars, which would probably be R-rated.
                    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Yeah, there is a scene where she's basically fully nude drying off from another scene where she was in a bath tub. Then there was a scene where she's actually having sex with someone in a flashback sequence.
                      Dynamite Entertainment
                      Forum Administrator

Comment

You lucky cat's get to read this title early while I have to wait to get it on new arrivals day, son of a.....

Well based upon what you guys are saying this book should be worth the wait. I've been waiting for Dynamite to expand their pulp line and this is one book I was really hoping for.

Comment

Well, you could have mentioned that there's NO "full-frontal" (which is the only thing that counts), so by my definition that is "implied" or "suggestive". Also the fact that we're talking all of 2 panels that are even 'pushing the envelope'. So no big deal IMO, it doesn't even really raise an eyebrow. Might be an issue, for a publisher like Marvel or DC, in what is considered a "mainstream superhero title", but I can't see it raising a ripple with the intended readership for DE. Haven't they done as much in titles like Red Sonja and Vampirella? I admit I haven't read all that much of those books. Moonstone Books took a pretty similar path with their Domino Lady title (not to be confused with the EROS Comix version of the character from the 1990s, which definitely WAS "full-frontal", although still not "hardcore"). Seems like somebody's making this out to be some sort of big deal, but I can't see it. There's more nudity on display in any random issue of Warlord of Mars or Dejah Thoris than there is here.
                          Last edited by positronic; 04-02-2013, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Yeah the nudity and sex isn't just implied but it's not explicit. It's the perfect amount to not be gratuitous while also not avoiding it to the point of taking away from the story or character. I didn't want to give details but they show her ass while drying off from the bathtub. The sex panel is graphic enough, in that she is covered in blood riding on top of a dude, but again all that is really seen is ass. So it's sexual and a bit risque while not being over the top, which exactly what that example I showed was for it's time. If anyone does think this is a "T&A" book it's a young kid or someone who hasn't had sex in quite some time I suppose.

And while I do think it's a great decision to go this route I think there are a number of decisions they made story wise that are great. I just don't want to go into much detail before it is released.

I also don't know much about Vampirella and Red Sonja, but I think they have at least done some "mature" variant covers.
                            Last edited by johnpisme; 04-02-2013, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Psionic_Lemmy View Post
                              Simply put, if this book isn't sexy I'm not checking it out. Just vocalizing one part of the audience.
                              You might just want to give it a try...

Comment

Somebody said (and I can't find it here to quote it, it must have been a different thread) that while they didn't shy away from the sex and violence in the series, it's not so in-your-face as to automatically classify this at a casual glance as a T&A or bad-girl title, and I think that description was right on the money. There's a lot going on here, and 'sexy' is part of the mix, but not the whole raison d'etre of the book. Whether that's satisfying to what Psionic Lemmy is looking for is, I guess, a matter of personal taste.

Comment

Working...
                                X