No announcement yet.

The Miss Fury series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again, a fantastic read from cover to cover and I'm glad that its finally out form everyone to see. The praise seems universal and Twitter is blowing up about it, so hopefully people are buying it and it sticks around for a while alongside the other pulp books.

Awesome stuff, Dynamite!

Comment

It would be funny (or just interesting) if it turns out she's actually hallucinating the whole thing. Who knows what was in that jungle juice she drank?
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
        You might just want to give it a try...
        I've tried it, and it is nice to see they're not shying away from sex and sexuality. Unfortunately, it still might not be done in a way I'm finding entirely fun. When she scornfully accused the museum guy of wanting to have sex with her, it portrayed her as damaged and with a cynical view of her own sexuality. Plus, well, she comes across as batshit crazy, which isn't necessarily attractive. Anyways, this issue was all over the place, will hold off judgement for now.

Comment

I do dig that there is sexuality in the book. But unfortunately the main character seems cynical and negative on the subject of sexuality, which takes the fun out of it. And in general she comes across as crazy and unlikable. Is this a spoilers topic? When she punched that guy out of the blue it was pretty hilarious.

I can say Marla Drake isn't very likable or charasmatic, which can very much hurt the book, since we have to care about them to read it. You can have a compelling story with even a terrible or evil person for a main character, like say The Sopranos or Death Note etc, but they still somehow have charisma or something that makes you care what happens to them anyway. They'll need to pull that off for Miss Fury to be a good comic I'd say.

There's a little something there, I liked the captions about her being bored and wanting excitement, but the crazy and negative way she has interacted with every character she talked to so far is a buzzkill.

I think maybe they should've gone for a double-length #1 issue, since what we have here doesn't feel like quite enough to be a great hook. For me it is still too early to really judge, I'll give it another month or two to sell me, but I really can't say if I dig it or not at the moment. Hopefully it works for me.
          Last edited by Psionic_Lemmy; 04-04-2013, 07:04 PM.

Comment

I re-read this issue and enjoyed it even more the second time around. I think a big part of it is that I'm becoming better aquainted with Drake, her personality, and the world around her, which is a great compliment seeing as how we're one issue in. This title has a chance to flourish if Dynamite entertainment keeps it going long enough and doesn't reach for the "cancel button" too early, only good things can happen here if given the chance to explore. Bring on issue number 2, Dynamite, you've got yourself a reader for life!

Comment

BRAVO!!!! Absolutely BOSCO!!! Jack Herbert/s art is outstanding, great balance of the 40s pinup and Cheesecake style mixed with a lil taboo for the time("enjoyed the dark continent") all wrapped in a dramatic Film Noir atmosphere. Rob Williams/ writing is top notch as well, a whole lot of story, and excellent character development telling us just enough to keep us interested. Can/t wait for issue 2.

I never thought that when I went to the Comic shop a few months back(to buy bags and boards to sell off some dupes). That I would be setting up a new pull list. I was so stoked to new volumes of early licenses like Red Sonja, Vampirella(which I bought the entire on going, minis and one shots in the last couple weeks, I/m a huge warren and harris Vampi fan), Deja Thoris and now Miss Fury.

I really hope Miss Fury becomes an on going series. Read somewhere it was only a mini. But I have hope for a long run.

Like the Man used to say "You keep writing them, I keep reading them" or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt_13M View Post
                I really hope Miss Fury becomes an on going series. Read somewhere it was only a mini. But I have hope for a long run.
                I thought I had seen that too, but when I went to look for it, I couldn't find it. Hope that's a good sign.

Comment

I usually wait for the trades for Dynamite books (Lone Ranger, Lord of the Jungle) but P:SP related books (& PC:Thunderbolt) I get in singles. Does anyone know how many issues this series will be?

Comment

The series is slated as an ongoing title, but you know how things go if the books don't move so take that for what it is. But yeah, as of now it's ongoing and will be published monthly.
                    Dynamite Entertainment
                    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Huh. I remember reading somewhere it was a 5-issue arc.
                      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                        The series is slated as an ongoing title, but you know how things go if the books don't move so take that for what it is. But yeah, as of now it's ongoing and will be published monthly.
                        Brilliant news. All in all Miss Fury is getting great reviews. My last trip to the shop there were none left on the New Releases Rack, but one of each cover in my Subscription folder.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt_13M View Post
                          BRAVO!!!! Absolutely BOSCO!!!
                          Bosco? Do they still make that?

Mmmm..... chocolate milk.

Comment

I wasn't blown away by issue #1. I don't have a history with the character, but this issue didn't remind me much of the Miss Fury in Masks. I mostly felt that Marla Drake's character seemed forced. Perhaps a longer first issue would have given more space to develop the character. But I'll stick with it--the villain and plot look promising.

I love the "abused butler" idea. Reminded me of Archer.

Comment

I really enjoyed this title. The story is very complex. Marla clearly has a chip on her shoulder, but how many heroes in comics don't? She doesn't seem dark and brooding like a Batman or Shadow, but more aloof. There is more skin than I see in the titles I normally read, but I didn't find it gratuitous. I think it was used to demonstrate Marla's persona and attitude. Instead of finding a meaning to life by starting a charitable foundation to help the less fortunate, Marla is going to find excitement elsewhere. In a way, she reminds me of Thomas Crown from the Thomas Crown Affair.

Hebert's art is just awesome. Nothing more to say. Ivan Nunes does a great job with the colors.

Looking forward to seeing what Miss Fury encounters in the future.

Comment

Miss Fury #2

Have to admit I was a little dubious about the whole time travel angle at first. My first preference would have been for a period piece set in the 1940s. But this is turning out to be a very interesting series from a conceptual standpoint. Well written, and the stylish artwork by Jack Herbert (who just seems to get better) certainly doesn't hurt. Can't wait to see where this is all heading.

Comment

Working...
                                X