No announcement yet.

The Miss Fury series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, this series is WAY better than I originally thought it would honestly be. The art is amazing and the action speaks volumes, but they add just a bit of sex appeal and some interesting plot points to complete a very well rounded package.

I'm digging it!
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Why have several pages of naked butt but not feel comfortable depicting a pair of breasts? Plus it's funny since about 2/3rds of an areola was shown, doesn't that negate the point of censoring it anyway? I don't know who told Dynamite breasts are bad, but they were liars. Will US comics ever have a large niche like HBO or Rated R films, I hope so. And not just for gore, seems that's all we get in "mature" US comics typically. And what's with the black bars on profanity by the way?

Ha as for the character and the story, well not really my thing. I did like some of the spectacle of the time travel, and the interrogation thing though nothing we haven't seen. It just feels like we're not getting much character stuff to hang onto, and it still just doesn't feel like much happened. While still dumping tons of info on us. I think editing and hitting the beats faster and being further than we are would've been good. Anyways, I wish the book well, hate to hate on an indie book, but it's not my thing.
      Last edited by Psionic_Lemmy; 05-02-2013, 02:05 AM.

Comment

i'm not sure where this book is going, but i'm enjoying the ride. the art is wonderful.

Comment

i will tell you where this book is going Son of Tarzan, into my monthly buy pile! Seriously, issues 1 and 2 were stellar and feature my favorite art probably ever, there is just something about Herberts pencils that thrill me beyond comprehension. I love Miss Fury and I love this book!

Comment

Originally posted by Psionic_Lemmy View Post
            Why have several pages of naked butt but not feel comfortable depicting a pair of breasts? Plus it's funny since about 2/3rds of an areola was shown, doesn't that negate the point of censoring it anyway? I don't know who told Dynamite breasts are bad, but they were liars. Will US comics ever have a large niche like HBO or Rated R films, I hope so. And not just for gore, seems that's all we get in "mature" US comics typically.
            Like many in Britain, I have never understood why American culture seems so hung up on even partial nudity but totally unfazed by extreme violence. Sorry, but it's a bizarre worldview.

Comment

Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
              Like many in Britain, I have never understood why American culture seems so hung up on even partial nudity but totally unfazed by extreme violence.
              Of course you wouldn't understand. You managed to rid your country of YOUR Puritans.
              Last edited by positronic; 05-03-2013, 11:39 AM.
              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Ha as for the character and the story, well not really my thing. I did like some of the spectacle of the time travel, and the interrogation thing though nothing we haven't seen. It just feels like we're not getting much character stuff to hang onto, and it still just doesn't feel like much happened. While still dumping tons of info on us. I think editing and hitting the beats faster and being further than we are would've been good. Anyways, I wish the book well, hate to hate on an indie book, but it's not my thing.
                I admit that from your posts, I have no idea what your thing might be. I can sort of see how you might not find the character likeable, but I don't know how you can conclude that not much has happened.
                Last edited by Captain Canuck; 05-03-2013, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
                  Like many in Britain, I have never understood why American culture seems so hung up on even partial nudity but totally unfazed by extreme violence. Sorry, but it's a bizarre worldview.
                  No need for the apology part, I completely agree. It's one of my biggest peeves. And the thing is, there are some successful US comics on stands showing nipples etc, which gives me more reason to find it silly that Dynamite chose to handle it this way.

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                  I admit that from your posts, I have no idea what your thing might be. I can sort of see how you might not find the character likeable, but I don't know how you can conclude that not much has happened.
                  This is one small corner of the net, you've seen that I'm not into what say three titles? Not liking Dynamite's Vampirella and Miss Fury, and a bit underwhelmed with Sonja's execution so far etc. Also I didn't say not much happened, I said it feels that way despite us getting lots of information. In a nutshell we've seen snippets of her past, she's fought a couple guys and said angry things at people, and she traveled in time. We're getting glimpses of things pretty much. What I was saying was I think some of that could've been edited out since to me it didn't all help the character or work for me, and we could be further along in the story. Among other issues. Just my opinion. It's cool that you dig it, and I wish them well with it.

As for what my thing might be, sure I'm happy to list some of my favorite stuff. 2000AD (Judge Dredd et al), Savage Dragon, Invincible, Death Note, Rurouni Kenshin, Hack/Slash, Conan, Monster, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Mirage especially), Blade of the Immortal, Gunsmith Cats, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Great Teacher Onizuka, many works and runs by Frank Miller, Watchmen, Witchblade, The Darkness, One Piece, G.I. Joe (especially Cobra), Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose, Waid and Hickman's runs on Fantastic Four, some Batman and Daredevil runs, Hajime no Ippo, Bastard!!, Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, and Criminal for example.
                  Last edited by Psionic_Lemmy; 05-05-2013, 02:09 AM.

Comment

This is one small corner of the net, you've seen that I'm not into what say three titles?
                    No, I mean this one only. I don't know what your expectation of it is.

Maybe the reason you feel as though not much has happened is because they're hitting too many aspects at once, so only devoting small portions to each one. The scarred gentleman, for instance. He's clearly important but only shows up for one page in issue one. So it's a big deal, but brief, so may not feel like one.

Comment

I know peoples tastes are different than eachothers and all that jazz, but come on, this book is pretty damn fun if anything at all. I love the aspect of the time travel and the way sultry main character handles the situations she's in, it's kind of like I'm a kid again and watching some cool new show I've never seen before. Odd analogy, I know, but that's how this book feels to me.
                      Dynamite Entertainment
                      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                        I know peoples tastes are different than eachothers and all that jazz, but come on, this book is pretty damn fun if anything at all.
                        That sentence is kind of a paradox with the second part contradicting the first part. And personally I don't find her that sultry, she's almost the opposite of that. She's not being seductive and using sexiness to disarm, she's just yelling at everyone (or punching them) and even mocks the idea of men being attracted to women at one point. The character just comes across as a cranky lunatic to me, but hey. But as said, just personal taste.
                        Last edited by Psionic_Lemmy; 05-06-2013, 02:25 PM.

Comment

best female lead comic on store shelves bar none. bar none! Art and story is awesome ,character is sexy, love the setting. Give me more!

Comment

I read this book again this morning and loved it the 2nd time around, especially the beautiful art on the raining pages. I love the action in this book too it kind of reminds me of a big budget action flick or something, it's really neat.

Comment

In good company sales wise, I guess (for what it's worth).

106 X-Factor 254 $2.99 Marvel 20,579
                              107 Winter Soldier 17 $2.99 Marvel 19,395
                              108 Gambit 11 $2.99 Marvel 19,355
                              109 Wolverine Max 6 $3.99 Marvel 19,316
                              110 Harbinger Wars 1 $3.99 Valiant 18,729
                              111 Miss Fury 1 $3.99 Dynamites 18,441
                              112 Captain Marvel 12 $2.99 Marvel 18,344
                              113 L.o.t. Dark Knight 7 $3.99 DC 18,201
                              114 X-Treme X-Men 13 $2.99 Marvel 18,007

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                                I know peoples tastes are different than eachothers and all that jazz, but come on, this book is pretty damn fun if anything at all. I love the aspect of the time travel and the way sultry main character handles the situations she's in, it's kind of like I'm a kid again and watching some cool new show I've never seen before. Odd analogy, I know, but that's how this book feels to me.
                                Dynamite has a habit of getting me to buy styles/genres that I don't think I would usually go for, I do this because they are really good at pushing their "product" with sneek peaks and interviews, and also, from my point of view, they have a very good hit-to-miss ratio.

That being said, Issue #1 left me saying "meh??". Maybe its because not knowing the core character I didn't know what to expect or what direction they were going to be taking things.

Now, after finishing #2 I'm hooked. Really good action seqeunces, and you would be hard pressed to find a more attractive female lead. Morally ambigous sexy as hell female lead? She has self doubts and questions the person she is? I can dig those, then add in time travel? Nazis? Assassinating a politician? Bold choice for a opening recipe, and it comes across awesomely!

What really hooked me though was them "filling out" and "humanizing" Marla, get to see her as more of a person, She is definately a tough as nails cynical smart ass But now its obvious to me that she is more then that too. Like a poster said about #1, why should the reader like her? I like her much more.

Everyone here, and myself too all agree Jack Herbert's art has been "off the chain" as we say on the streets (When we are talking about Miss Fury on the streets..)

Also though, the colors of Ivan Nunes, after becoming hopelessly addicted to Damsels I started looking for/at other stuff by that creative Team. Nunes Rocks and he delivers in Miss Fury.

I'm on such a Nunes kick lately, In Miss Fury he takes art work that is already sleek and sexy and makes it *POP*. I love not only the feel his colors gave it, but his use of "lighting effects?". The light sort of glimmers off Marla's raven hair...or off her raven pleather. The man in the opening of issue 2, bathed in a psuedo halo of light and glare, cool stuff.

In closing..did anybody else find Marla strangely more sexy in a orange jumpsuit?? lol

Comment

Working...
                                X