Legenderry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legenderry

Very interesting start. Three of the main characters are introduced, we get a look at what might be the main villian and a great job of setting the scene. The art was very good as well. The only 'problem' was taht I was hoping to get the Vampi cover for a friend but my store didn't order near the 150 copies needed to get one.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Did they give an alt-universe year for when it is set? Just curious...

Comment

No date but it definitly has a 30s/40s feel to it. Vampi runs the Club Scarlet and there is a mention of wireless and the wirless announcer/narrator's dialogue is based/inspired by at least a couple of radio announcers that did exist.
      Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
        No date but it definitly has a 30s/40s feel to it. Vampi runs the Club Scarlet and there is a mention of wireless and the wirless announcer/narrator's dialogue is based/inspired by at least a couple of radio announcers that did exist.
        Steampunk set in the 1930s/40s? That's a little strange. Most of the genre is set in the Victorian to Edwardian eras, before the internal combustion engine became commonplace.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
          Steampunk set in the 1930s/40s? That's a little strange. Most of the genre is set in the Victorian to Edwardian eras, before the internal combustion engine became commonplace.
          There is no evidence of the combustion engine but I was talking more of the over all feel and BW has refered to Legenderry as 'steampulp'. So a victorian setting with a 30s/40s feel rather fits.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
            There is no evidence of the combustion engine but I was talking more of the over all feel and BW has refered to Legenderry as 'steampulp'. So a victorian setting with a 30s/40s feel rather fits.
            "Steampulp" is a MUCH better name for the entire genre than 'Steampunk' which makes the genre seem dated to the 1980s (as a spinoff of 'Cyberpunk', which adopted the name based on the attitude of the late 1970s/early 1980s punk movement in music/art/politics, and fused it with the nascent-emerging world of digital information).

Can we take a vote or something and make it official?

Comment

Very interesting take on Dynamite's stable of characters, I really liked the first issue and felt it had a unique flavor to it. More please!
              Dynamite Entertainment
              Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Well, of course, since it is set in a world in which fashions, styles, and cultural things from one era are mixed with technology from (and beyond) another era, it could be in the 1800s, 1900s, or even that world's 25th century or such, but I'm really curious about what date (by that world's dating system) it's actually set in. It would be very cool to have a rough real-world reference. (Did this world have a Lincoln? Was there even a need for a US Civil War? Is there even a US or is this set in some sort of Britain?)

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                  Well, of course, since it is set in a world in which fashions, styles, and cultural things from one era are mixed with technology from (and beyond) another era, it could be in the 1800s, 1900s, or even that world's 25th century or such, but I'm really curious about what date (by that world's dating system) it's actually set in. It would be very cool to have a rough real-world reference. (Did this world have a Lincoln? Was there even a need for a US Civil War? Is there even a US or is this set in some sort of Britain?)
                  Some alternate history stories give you a short prologue basically filling you in on the divergences with familiar history that lead to the alternate timeline. Others just throw you into the story and reveal nuggets of info about the background history as it becomes relevant to the evolving plot. It is nice to see a date attached somewhere, to give you a rough idea. Otherwise you're stuck trying to figure it out yourself based on counterparts of known historical figures, or based on the technology and fashions.

I guess steampunk, taken at the broadest interpretation, could mean anything in which history diverged from the one we know sometime during the Industrial Age, and an alternate history could be projected to any year thereafter. I tend to prefer it to stick to the first 50 years or so after the initial divergence point, and I tend to like knowing what that point was from the outset.

Comment

Maybe Willingham will post here and tell us. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                      "Steampulp" is a MUCH better name for the entire genre than 'Steampunk' which makes the genre seem dated to the 1980s (as a spinoff of 'Cyberpunk', which adopted the name based on the attitude of the late 1970s/early 1980s punk movement in music/art/politics, and fused it with the nascent-emerging world of digital information).

Can we take a vote or something and make it official?
                      I like it a lot too. I'm in.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                        Maybe Willingham will post here and tell us. Fingers crossed!
                        ... still hoping...

Comment

Working...
                        X