Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The King Watch/Flash Gordon/Phantom/Mandrake MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The King Watch/Flash Gordon/Phantom/Mandrake MEGATHREAD!

FLASH GORDON: ZEITGEIST #1

Written by Eric Trautmann, art by Daniel Lindro, covers by Alex Ross, Paul Renaud, Francesco Francavilla and Wagner Reis.

The year is 1934, a time of two-fisted swashbuckling, of fearsome threats and wild adventure -- and of ever-growing threats on the horizon. Three valiant humans -- Flash Gordon, Dale Arden and Dr. Hans Zarkov -- are plucked from the Earth, traveling to the distant planet Mongo. Their exploits are legendary, battling the machinations and terror schemes of the dreaded emperor Ming, the All-Seeing Ruler of Mongo. But they did not fight alone...

32 pages, $1.

-CAN.NOT.WAIT. This book is gonna be fantastic!!! Anyone else excited?

My enthusiasm is very limited, since it rains new titles from Dynamite. And it seems as if the quality often not fits the expectations and the earlier publications of the characters. And definitely it doesn't rain issues! Since I wait a few months now for dynamite issues of the Chaos! publications, since I have seen no Red Sonja issue in quite a while, since the quality of Vampirella, Red Sonja, Warlord of Mars, Green Hornet, The Phantom or Painkiller Jane is in question by almost everyone around, only the selling of the issues is good according to Eric Trautman, I think that I won't buy or read the new Flash issues. Instead I hope to find a new edition of the old, old series, that I have not in my shelves, yet, but which I would be eager to buy.
    Last edited by Red Bryan; 08-25-2011, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Well, Red, I respectfully disagree. From the reading the solicitation copy, it sounds like a great take on Flash Gordon. I'm not familiar with the writer or artist, but with their last few launches, I have not been disappointed. I wasn't really interested at all in Kirby:Genesis, but gave it a try and I'm really loving that book.
      -The first issue of Flash Gordon is only $1, you sure you won't give it a try?

Comment

The first Tradepaperback will be in my considerations IF the reviews are okay.

Comment

Check out the pics - http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori...ynamitenov.htm

Comment

Yes, cover artwork is always excellent at Dynamite. The interior art is an extremely other matter. I remember sadly the "Good, the Bad and the Ugly". A comic book with urgent need of a clever handling regarding the fantastic, legendary and praised movies. But we got art, oh wow, you can take art like this as an experiment in the third or fourth ongoing title of the X-Men. And the stories, dear god, what a waste of time for each and every person involved including the readers. And I remember sadly - again - the promises regarding the second arc of "GBU", that was said to be better, but proved that they never even started to think about the essence of the book. My fear is, that Dynamite licenses characters that sell just because of their names. That they do not want to really take soul in it. I really don't want to be pessimistic, but they have several titles coming that must be treated with great engagement. And I don't think they have this many artists to solve the mission. I feel a bit panic-ky watching the board, waiting for new issues of "my" series', which are not what they used to be, too.
            Last edited by Red Bryan; 08-26-2011, 09:46 PM.

Comment

I can understand your concern, Red, but for Flash I'm a little bit more optimistic. First let me say that part of me needs to be taken out of the equation, because I am probably the BIGGEST Flash Gordon fan in the world. Fell in love with the 1980 movie, then discovered the comics.
              -I have a LOT of faith in this one from Dynamite. Alex Ross is also a huge FG fan and knowing that he's involved in MORE than just the covers gives me come confidence. I'll admit I've never read Vampirella, so I'm not that familiar with the writer. I've looked at the Sherlock Holmes: Year One book and I like the artist. I'm guessing he might change up his style a little bit, because, let's face it, you can't get more opposite than Flash Gordon and Sherlock Holmes!!

Comment

Mr.Eric is an excellent writer, his work on Red Sonja (WHICH IS DELAYED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) has been amazing, so to hear him on Flash has got me sold.

Comment

Originally posted by themightyflip View Post
                  Mr.Eric is an excellent writer, his work on Red Sonja (WHICH IS DELAYED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) has been amazing, so to hear him on Flash has got me sold.
                  Well, delayed until tomorrow. Just unpacked the shipment for my wife's comic shop and have held the issue in my hands. The wait is finally over.

Thanks for your patience, guys.

-E

Comment

I guess I need to check out some of Mr. Trautmann Red Sonia work, as I'm only familiar with his work on Vampirella. And sadly judging by that work, Eric being on Flash Gorden is the one of things that has me worried. His work on Vampirella pretty much epitomises Red's observation about Dynamite taking in licenses but not really taking in the soul of the character they have licensed.
                    Last edited by GrayPumpkin; 08-31-2011, 01:41 PM.

Comment

FLASH GORDON!!!!

The Flash Gordon series does seem to have more promise, in the early stages, anyway, because it looks like DE's going back to the character's roots instead of departing from them altogether like they did with The Phantom. If they stay on the course they're on, Flash Gordon could be a very successful comic. Then maybe they'll realize the error of their ways on The Last Phantom and re-reboot the stinker.

Comment

I would agree General. It looks like they're REALLY headed in the right direction with Flash Gordon. And did anyone notice that it's only $1???

Comment

Originally posted by Red Bryan View Post
                          I hope to find a new edition of the old, old series, that I have not in my shelves, yet, but which I would be eager to buy.
                          Flash Gordon (the original comic strip) has been reprinted numerous times over the years: by Nostalgia Press in the 1960s/1970s, by Kitchen Sink in the 1980s/1990s (both now out of print), by Dark Horse in the 1990s/2000s, and by Checker Books in the 2000s (the last two are pretty easy to find).

Dark Horse is also reprinting all of the original comic books from Dell/King/Charlton/Gold Key/Whitman in its Flash Gordon Comic Book Archives series.

Forthcoming are even more reprintings of Alex Raymond's original strip by IDW (The Definitive Flash Gordon and Jungle Jim, Vol. 1), and Titan Books (The Complete Flash Gordon Library, Vol. 1: On the Planet Mongo).

These are all hardcovers (except for Dark Horse's reprints of Mac Raboy's run on the strip, which is in paperback), and not cheap, but well worth the money to have in your collection.

I only wish somebody would reprint the later daily & Sunday strips by Dan Barry & Bob Fujitani from the 1950s to the 1980s. I don't know if Titan Books is planning to continue beyond the Sunday strips by Alex Raymond & Mac Raboy.
                          Last edited by positronic; 09-09-2011, 08:14 AM.
                          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

I only have the Dark Horse hardcovers, and I can vouch that they ARE expensive, but they are WELL worth the money. They do a great job on reprinting the material.

Comment

Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist #3

You may (or may not) have seen these already, but...

Dynamite released the cover images for issue 3, and I'm pretty stoked.

Enjoy!

-E

Comment

Working...
                              X