Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The King Watch/Flash Gordon/Phantom/Mandrake MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's curious that this series begins with a young Flash Gordon, just starting out, so obviously no son or daughter there. Mandrake and Lothar might be old enough to have some teenage offspring. I got the impression that the Phantom was the oldest of the bunch. Wouldn't be surprised to see him die and be replaced by a younger Phantom before the series ends. I liked Jedda too, Ralph.
    Last edited by pulphero; 10-27-2013, 01:34 AM.

Comment

• G'day,

I would think Mandrake may be the oldest. He lost his great love (Narda?) and has been a recluse for several years. Lother has gone back to Africa. They may very well bring Mandrake's offspring to help break his isolation.

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
      It's curious that this series begins with a young Flash Gordon, just starting out, so obviously no son or daughter there. Mandrake and Lothar might be old enough to have some teenage offspring. I got the impression that the Phantom was the oldest of the bunch. Wouldn't be surprised to see him die and be replaced by a younger Phantom before the series ends. I liked Jedda too, Ralph.

Comment

• Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
        G'day,

I would think Mandrake may be the oldest. He lost his great love (Narda?) and has been a recluse for several years. Lother has gone back to Africa. They may very well bring Mandrake's offspring to help break his isolation.

ta

Ralph
        There was just something about the Phantom that made him seem grizzled and battle-worn to me, like he'd been at this for decades. Mandrake and Lothar are obviously much older than Flash, but still, I got the impression that Lothar at least seemed more physically vigorous than the Phantom. Entirely subjective, I guess. I can't point to anything in particular. Maybe it was just the way the Phantom was drawn. Or maybe it's just that in terms of the mythos, the Phantom's the only one that can really be approaching the end of his career, since he can be replaced by his son. The disparity in ages between the characters seems to be a new wrinkle. Maybe it's a new spin on the "generational" aspect of the cartoon series. Instead of the well-known heroes all being roughly contemporary in age, we have a Phantom (mid-late 50s?), a Mandrake and Lothar (40-ish), and a Flash and Dale (mid-20s) that are all separated in age by 15-20 years.

At any rate, I guess we'll know for sure if and when we get an appearance of Diana Palmer.
        Last edited by pulphero; 10-27-2013, 07:22 AM.

Comment

• No Jungle Jim???

Originally posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
          I do not want Mandrake to be too powerful. It is the same problem I have with Zatanna or the Spectre, where is the limit? In a way, I was hoping that Mandrake would just have mass-illusion/hypnotic powers, powerful in itself but not a do anything magic power.

Since this version has Mandrake using true magic, why not bring back Prince Valiant to the present day? Maybe his mystic armor and Singing Sword can withstand bullets and other stuff--ala Shining Knight.

How about guest appearances from Jungle Jim, Brick Bradford, Buzz Sawyer, Johnny Hazzard, Secret Agent X-9, Rip Kirby, and others?
          No Jungle Jim??!! Oh, man.
          Well, I look forward to seeing Diana Palmer!!

It is a good series and I hope it continues beyond this first limited series.
          Last edited by Magno; 11-12-2013, 01:41 AM.

Comment

• G'day,

You know I'm beginning to warm to the idea of bringing those characters in. Lets see Brick Bradford and Flash Gordon, Jungle Jim and the Phantom. Let Dynamite build the King Features universe. The main problem would be a lot of those characters are no longer running so would have no built in market, but they could certainly do team ups .

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by Magno View Post
            No Jungle Jim??!! Oh, man.
            Well, I look forward to seeing Diana Palmer!!

It is a good series and I hope it continues beyond this first limited series.

Comment

G'day,

You know I'm beginning to warm to the idea of bringing those characters in. Lets see Brick Bradford and Flash Gordon, Jungle Jim and the Phantom. Let Dynamite build the King Features universe. The main problem would be a lot of those characters are no longer running so would have no built in market, but they could certainly do team ups .

ta

Ralph
              I wonder if they are really building a universe. Based on the lack of any continuity between Kings Watch, The Last Phantom, and Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist, I'd have to say no. If Kings Watch were an ongoing series, with the potential to spin off individual properties, it might be different. The less well-known King Features characters could then be variously assigned guest-starring, supporting, or cameo roles in the more well-known characters' series, and try to build reader familiarity and demand to the point where they were worthy of their own spinoff miniseries. At least that's the way it typically works with Marvel and DC universe characters. X-9 in the role of a government liason, an adventure happening in a Southeast Asia locale that required the expertise of Jungle Jim, or a time travel story involving Brick Bradford (hey, there's another way to get Prince Valiant into the series...)

Comment

• G'day,

I doubt they are too but you never know. The business success or failure of Kings Watch, (which I enjoy very much and sold out in a flash at my comic book shop btw) will have a big say in that. I would like to see Dynamite run several consistent universes, The ERB universe, the pulp universe, Kings Feature, Gold Key etc.

ta

Ralph

I wonder if they are really building a universe. Based on the lack of any continuity between Kings Watch, The Last Phantom, and Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist, I'd have to say no. If Kings Watch were an ongoing series, with the potential to spin off individual properties, it might be different. The less well-known King Features characters could then be variously assigned guest-starring, supporting, or cameo roles in the more well-known characters' series, and try to build reader familiarity and demand to the point where they were worthy of their own spinoff miniseries. At least that's the way it typically works with Marvel and DC universe characters. X-9 in the role of a government liason, an adventure happening in a Southeast Asia locale that required the expertise of Jungle Jim, or a time travel story involving Brick Bradford (hey, there's another way to get Prince Valiant into the series...)

Comment

• Issue #3 was excellent! The action started off the bat and never let up! The art was solid. I loved how Lothar was referred to as "another Defender of the Earth". You know, in this thread, some of us suggested to expand the membership of the team to include other Kings Feature characters. I now am in the opinion that those characters should only be guest stars in future stories not members of the team. Keep the team as Phantom, Flash, and Mandrake with their respective supporting casts (Guran, Lothar, Zarkov, Dale, Diana Palmer, Karma, Thun, Barin, Vultan, Aura, etc.). The public knows these characters in previous forms and the supporting casts are extensive by themselves. The creative team is creating a fun flowing story with modern takes on the characters (Mandrake's illusion powers creating a "Ming the Merciless" for Cobra was creative and modern). More Kings Watch!!!

Comment

• My only gripe would be that there seems to be very little to do with the Phantom. Sure, he's in there, but it almost seems like a afterthought, since he doesn't seem really integral to the plot. He just happens to be there. Also, I just can't shake it, every time I look at this Phantom I'm getting a "Dark Knight Returns" impression of a guy who's older and has fought a thousand battles.

Comment

• Loved issue 3 too. I though Narda would have something to do with Mandrake becoming a recluse and I was right. We still need an explanation as to why Zarkov is an alcoholic I thought that could be related to Narda too. From the preview covers of issue #5 it appears someone dies in the end. The Phantom? Narda? Zarkov? It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Anyway time to pour a bourbon on ice and read Frew's latest Phantom comic.

goodnight

Ralph
                      Last edited by ralphuniverse; 12-13-2013, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Loved issue 3 too. I though Narda would have something to do with Mandrake becoming a recluse and I was right. We still need an explanation as to why Zarkov is an alcoholic I thought that could be related to Narda too. From the preview covers of issue #5 it appears someone dies in the end. The Phantom? Narda? Zarkov? It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Anyway time to pour a bourbon on ice and read Frew's latest Phantom comic.

goodnight

Ralph
                        Ralph, I sort of envy you having the ongoing Frew Phantom series down under. Not entirely sure, but I think it might be the highest consecutively-numbered uninterrupted comic series in the English language (since what, 1948, I believe?) I think the only other series over issue #1000 in English is 2000 AD. Meanwhile, American comic book publishers continue to have a mania for renumbering long-running characters' series to #1 over and over again. It makes me think of Julius Schwartz' rationale for numbering (after some internal editorial debate at DC) the first Silver Age issue of The Flash as #105 (taking over the numbering of the Golden Age Flash) rather than as a new #1 - his thinking was that a higher numbered series would indicate to potential purchasers that this must be a good comic, since it had been running so long. What number is the Frew Phantom series up to currently?

I think Zarkov's drinking problem is just a shorthand way of characterizing him as (a) Russian, and (b) an eccentric rebel whose genius has not been accepted by the scientific community. Don't think there's much to it beyond that. I would bet it's the Phantom who cashes in his chips, but it could be Narda to give Mandrake a tragic element and as a motive for rededicating himself to the fight against evil. If these characters are to remain together as a team, Zarkov's scientific skill will be needed to support them.
                        Last edited by pulphero; 12-14-2013, 01:33 AM.

Comment

• G'day,

The current Frew Phantom comic is number 1681, and you are correct , publication began in 1948. The Phantom is Australia's most popular comic. It published about twice a month, the new stories are translated reprints of the Scandinavian stories. I'm looking forward to next week's 100 page Christmas special.

As to Zarkov, I was thinking they might have made him a romantic rival for Narda, but that doesn't seem to be the case. We will just have to wait and see.

ta

Ralph

Ralph, I sort of envy you having the ongoing Frew Phantom series down under. Not entirely sure, but I think it might be the highest consecutively-numbered uninterrupted comic series in the English language (since what, 1948, I believe?) I think the only other series over issue #1000 in English is 2000 AD. Meanwhile, American comic book publishers continue to have a mania for renumbering long-running characters' series to #1 over and over again. It makes me think of Julius Schwartz' rationale for numbering (after some internal editorial debate at DC) the first Silver Age issue of The Flash as #105 (taking over the numbering of the Golden Age Flash) rather than as a new #1 - his thinking was that a higher numbered series would indicate to potential purchasers that this must be a good comic, since it had been running so long. What number is the Frew Phantom series up to currently?

I think Zarkov's drinking problem is just a shorthand way of characterizing him as (a) Russian, and (b) an eccentric rebel whose genius has not been accepted by the scientific community. Don't think there's much to it beyond that. I would bet it's the Phantom who cashes in his chips, but it could be Narda to give Mandrake a tragic element and as a motive for rededicating himself to the fight against evil. If these characters are to remain together as a team, Zarkov's scientific skill will be needed to support them.

Comment

The current Frew Phantom comic is number 1681, and you are correct , publication began in 1948. The Phantom is Australia's most popular comic. It published about twice a month, the new stories are translated reprints of the Scandinavian stories. I'm looking forward to next week's 100 page Christmas special.
                            It's nice to know that there are a few places in the world where the significance of The Phantom as a groundbreaking character is appreciated, even if it's not the country where he originated (the first "long-underwear" masked hero, some would say the first "superhero" - since Batman also gets counted as a superhero, even though he has no superpowers - others argue for Mandrake as the first superhero, since he *does* have some kind of powers, but no "long underwear").

I have some scanslations of the Scandinavian Phantom stories that I found online, and they are indeed pretty good, on average better than most of the original American comic book stories.

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                              It's nice to know that there are a few places in the world where the significance of The Phantom as a groundbreaking character is appreciated, even if it's not the country where he originated (the first "long-underwear" masked hero, some would say the first "superhero" - since Batman also gets counted as a superhero, even though he has no superpowers - others argue for Mandrake as the first superhero, since he *does* have some kind of powers, but no "long underwear").

I have some scanslations of the Scandinavian Phantom stories that I found online, and they are indeed pretty good, on average better than most of the original American comic book stories.

Any chance that Dynamite could reprint those Phantom stories from Scandinavia/Australia in the form of a Showcase Presents or Essential format? Maybe the Best of Phantom series of Trade Paperbacks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
                                Any chance that Dynamite could reprint those Phantom stories from Scandinavia/Australia in the form of a Showcase Presents or Essential format? Maybe the Best of Phantom series of Trade Paperbacks?
                                HOW MANY ISSUES WAS KING'S WATCH GOING TO BE? FIVE ISSUES? OR SIX ISSUES? i NOTICED THAT KING'S WATCH #6 HAS NOT BEEN SOLICITED. MUST BE FIVE HUH?

Comment

Working...
                                X