Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The King Watch/Flash Gordon/Phantom/Mandrake MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
    HOW MANY ISSUES WAS KING'S WATCH GOING TO BE? FIVE ISSUES? OR SIX ISSUES? i NOTICED THAT KING'S WATCH #6 HAS NOT BEEN SOLICITED. MUST BE FIVE HUH?
    5 is the number, and the number shall be 5.

Regarding the reprints, it seems unlikely. Dynamite does very few reprints of older material to begin with, and they've never used the Essentials/Showcase B&W phone-book format. There's a somewhat better chance of seeing those stories reprinted by Hermes Press in the more expensive Archives/Masterworks format.

Comment

• G'day,

Technically that would be easy to do. Just get the best of the Aussie translated Danish stories and include some of the lovely painted Egmont covers. But I'll bet the copyright issues would be a mess.

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
      Any chance that Dynamite could reprint those Phantom stories from Scandinavia/Australia in the form of a Showcase Presents or Essential format? Maybe the Best of Phantom series of Trade Paperbacks?

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
        5 is the number, and the number shall be 5.

Regarding the reprints, it seems unlikely. Dynamite does very few reprints of older material to begin with, and they've never used the Essentials/Showcase B&W phone-book format. There's a somewhat better chance of seeing those stories reprinted by Hermes Press in the more expensive Archives/Masterworks format.

My confusion on the two great mini series that were coming out at the same time--King's Watch and Codename Action. I meant to post about Codename Action #6. Does anyone know the status of Codename Action #6 (originally the series was solicited as a five issue mini series, but changed to a six issue mini series the next month)? -DE has extended series before like one of the Dejah T. series).

Comment

• Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
          G'day,

Technically that would be easy to do. Just get the best of the Aussie translated Danish stories and include some of the lovely painted Egmont covers. But I'll bet the copyright issues would be a mess.

ta

Ralph
          It would be worth it! Come on DE let's make it happen!

Comment

• G'day,
            Probably the least meassy option would be for DE to just get American reprint rights from Egmont. Dynamite can organise their own translations and lettering. Since the original are B&W they might also want to color them in. But I don't think reprints are part of their business plan.

ta

Ralph

It would be worth it! Come on DE let's make it happen!

Comment

• The Team is right.

Issue #3 was excellent! The action started off the bat and never let up! The art was solid. I loved how Lothar was referred to as "another Defender of the Earth". You know, in this thread, some of us suggested to expand the membership of the team to include other Kings Feature characters. I now am in the opinion that those characters should only be guest stars in future stories not members of the team. Keep the team as Phantom, Flash, and Mandrake with their respective supporting casts (Guran, Lothar, Zarkov, Dale, Diana Palmer, Karma, Thun, Barin, Vultan, Aura, etc.). The public knows these characters in previous forms and the supporting casts are extensive by themselves. The creative team is creating a fun flowing story with modern takes on the characters (Mandrake's illusion powers creating a "Ming the Merciless" for Cobra was creative and modern). More Kings Watch!!!
              I agree, Blinky. Keep the team as The Phantom, Flash, and Mandrake with their respective supporting casts.
              I hope we see more of this great team.

Maybe guest star Jungle Jim....etc.

I'm waiting for the Mandrake/Lothar team to "tighten up".

Comment

• G'day,

I think their Phantom is supposed to be the 21st. Which mean his wife Diana and children , Kt and Heloise, should be there too. It would be good to see them in action. The future covers seem to indicate someone is going to die in issue 5, we may get to see a new Phantom.

ta

Ralph.

Originally posted by Magno View Post
                I agree, Blinky. Keep the team as The Phantom, Flash, and Mandrake with their respective supporting casts.
                I hope we see more of this great team.

Maybe guest star Jungle Jim....etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Magno View Post
                  I found it unusual in that anyone who didn't know better would think from reading this series that The Phantom and Lothar were a team, not Mandrake and Lothar.

Comment

G'day,

I think their Phantom is supposed to be the 21st. Which mean his wife Diana and children , Kt and Heloise, should be there too. It would be good to see them in action. The future covers seem to indicate someone is going to die in issue 5, we may get to see a new Phantom.

ta

Ralph.
                    Hmm. If you are correct, I wonder if Kings Watch could actually be a prequel to DE's earlier series, The Last Phantom? But honestly, I didn't really get that impression at all from the series. I really don't expect to see Diana, Kit & Heloise. Well, maybe *some* version of Diana. I just got the impression that this Phantom has been rebooted the same way Flash & Co. have been, but he's just older for whatever reason.

Comment

• G'day,

I haven't read the "Last Phantom" series but I understand it was supposed to be about the new 22nd Phantom but the baddies killed off his son and wife, and DE gave him an invisibility suit. Which makes absolutely no sense to the Phantom legend. I don't think the series was a great success. I would be happy to see DE have another go.

There are far more better ways to reboot the Phantom but you do need to stick to the basic mythos which include:

1) He has to breed. The Man Who Can Not Die can not die because he is a dynasty. Remove that and he is no longer the Phantom, it like taking away Superman's powers.

2) He is not Batman or Tony Stark. The Phantom is a millionaire but not a billionaire, he lives in a cave not a mansion, rides a horse not the batmobile, and takes commercial flights not fly around in a private jet. So giving him fancy unreal high tech gadgets don't really work with him.

3) Once he becomes the Phantom we never see his face in full , a bit like Judge Dredd. Its all part of the mystery that raises him from a normal human being to the Ghost Who Walks.

to quote Wikipedia:

"Unlike many fictional costumed heroes, the Phantom does not have any superpowers, but instead relies on his strength, intelligence, and fearsome reputation of being an immortal ghost to defeat his foes. The 21st Phantom is married to Diana Palmer, whom he met while studying in the United States; they have two children, Kit and Heloise. Like all previous Phantoms, he lives in the ancient Skull Cave, and has a trained wolf, Devil, and a horse named Hero"

Now certainly you could update a new Phantom. Give him more modern gear, a smartphone, modern guns, a few now-tech gadgets. But invisibility suits? No. (I admit it worked on Phantom 2040 but thats was a futuristic Phantom so futuristic tech made sense)

The really fun thing you could do would be to his sister Heloise. She can't be a Phantom but theres no reason why she couldn't be a crime fighter in her own right. With a bit of thought DE could have two superheros for the price of one.

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                      Hmm. If you are correct, I wonder if Kings Watch could actually be a prequel to DE's earlier series, The Last Phantom? But honestly, I didn't really get that impression at all from the series. I really don't expect to see Diana, Kit & Heloise. Well, maybe *some* version of Diana. I just got the impression that this Phantom has been rebooted the same way Flash & Co. have been, but he's just older for whatever reason.

Comment

G'day,

I haven't read the "Last Phantom" series but I understand it was supposed to be about the new 22nd Phantom but the baddies killed off his son and wife, and DE gave him an invisibility suit. Which makes absolutely no sense to the Phantom legend. I don't think the series was a great success. I would be happy to see DE have another go.
                        Hi Ralph! A few years back when DE did The Last Phantom (which, to my way of thinking, was a less-interesting and not-as-well-done version of things that had come before like Phantom 2040 and that other Marvel series (either a reprint of, or an original story generated by your mates downunder), there was also a Phantom "SyFy Channel Original Movie" (and those 4 words should inspire more fear in you than "The Ghost Who Walks"). Pictures from that thing (which I avoided like the plague) had him in a high-tech combat stealth suit, which is where I think DE swiped the idea (although, as you noted, it was used in Phantom 2040 as well). I didn't think too much of The Last Phantom, even though I usually like what Scott Beatty writes, and it had some really nice covers.

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
                        There are far more better ways to reboot the Phantom but you do need to stick to the basic mythos which include:

1) He has to breed. The Man Who Can Not Die can not die because he is a dynasty. Remove that and he is no longer the Phantom, it like taking away Superman's powers.
                        That makes me think of something that would make an interesting Phantom story (or maybe not) -- some crazy megalomaniac Nazi Ubermensch/Khan Noonian Singh type mad scientist (who has figured out the secret of "The Man Who Cannot Die") trying to get ahold of the Phantom's DNA to cook up an army of clones/genetically engineered supersoldiers to rule the world with. Usually I do like to see the science fiction elements in The Phantom kept to a minimum, but maybe there's a way to handle it that doesn't seem too over-the-top...?

2) He is not Batman or Tony Stark. The Phantom is a millionaire but not a billionaire, he lives in a cave not a mansion, rides a horse not the batmobile, and takes commercial flights not fly around in a private jet. So giving him fancy unreal high tech gadgets don't really work with him.
                        But doesn't he have an entire sub-cavern "Treasure Room" in the Skull Cave filled with pirate booty, king's ransoms, gold, silver, platinum, diamonds, emeralds, rubies, etc. as well as 'lost art masterworks'? Which was always treated about the same as Doc Savage's secret stash of Mayan gold - it gave him access to all the operating expenses he'd ever need in his globe-trotting international battle against piracy and criminals. It's just that Mr. Walker isn't as ostentatious as Misters Wayne and Stark. He doesn't need a billion-dollar skyscraper HQ and a warehouse full of expensive specially-built crimefighting vehicles, suits and gadgets. He's a down-to-earth type who sticks to the basics and only buys what's necessary and practical. But sure, in a pinch, he could absolutely afford it if he needed to. He'd be the money man behind any superteam of King Features heroes.

3) Once he becomes the Phantom we never see his face in full, a bit like Judge Dredd. Its all part of the mystery that raises him from a normal human being to the Ghost Who Walks.
                        I guess those kinds of things are a lot easier to adhere to if you don't hire Sylvester Stallone as the star of your movie. Oh, if only there could be more 'actor's actors' like Hugo Weaving (V for Vendetta) who actually care more about the role than in leveraging their star-power with 'face time' on the screen. Having said that, I really do rank the Billy Zane Phantom movie pretty high on the list, compared to other comic book adaptations. I could have lived without a few of those nagging elements like mystical skulls and talking to the ghost of Patrick McGoohan, but otherwise it's a pretty faithful flashback to the earliest Phantom story continuities of the 1930s. Plus, you know, Catherine Zeta Jones, which never hurt a movie.

Now certainly you could update a new Phantom. Give him more modern gear, a smartphone, modern guns, a few now-tech gadgets. But invisibility suits? No. (I admit it worked on Phantom 2040 but thats was a futuristic Phantom so futuristic tech made sense)

The really fun thing you could do would be to his sister Heloise. She can't be a Phantom but theres no reason why she couldn't be a crime fighter in her own right. With a bit of thought DE could have two superheros for the price of one.
                        Since Lee Falk established the concept of a female Phantom himself, I don't see why you couldn't modify the idea to be used in a more permanent way. It is the 21st Century, after all, so maybe all the "Phantom genes" aren't bundled to the Y-chromosome.
                        Last edited by pulphero; 12-29-2013, 01:39 AM.

Comment

• Hey, it just occurred to me. Khan Noonian SINGH. The SINGH Brotherhood. Star Trek/The Phantom...? Nah, I guess not. The only real way that would work is if it were tied into the pre-Eugenics Wars backstory of Khan. Probably way too subtle a connection to sell The Phantom to any Star Trek fans. Can't very well see The Ghost Who Walks 'beaming aboard'.

Comment

• G'day,

Pulphero.
                            . Yeah, he does have a treasure room, two I think , a minor one which has gold and jewels and a major one with priceless artifacts like King Arthur's Excalibur and the Asp that bit Cleopatra. I hope young Kit or Heloise are doing an MBA because just have all that hard assets lying around sure is not generating much cash flow.

Did you see the Karl Urban Judge Dredd? He kept his mask on. Karl's name sometimes come up as a fan favorite to play the Phantom. But Billy Zane did a good job, Zane is only 47 young enough to play the role again. There was supposed to be another Phantom movie and a Mandrake movie but haven't heard anything about those for some time.

When it comes to movies King Features assets seem to be underutilized. If I was Kings/Hearst CEO I would be wanting to bring them all under direct corporate control and do a Disney/Marvel. I think doing three movies , (Phantom, Mandrake and Flash) and then doing a team up would work.They wouldn't have to be as big budgets as the Marvel/DC offerings either.

Anyway lets see what DE those with the final two issues.

Ralph.
                            Last edited by ralphuniverse; 12-29-2013, 05:59 AM.

Comment

G'day,

Pulphero.
                              . Yeah, he does have a treasure room, two I think , a minor one which has gold and jewels and a major one with priceless artifacts like King Arthur's Excalibur and the Asp that bit Cleopatra. I hope young Kit or Heloise are doing an MBA because just have all that hard assets lying around sure is not generating much cash flow.
                              But that's OK, really. When you really think about it, The Phantom is (financially speaking) "smarter than the smarties and sharper than the sharpies" (to borrow a quote from Scrooge McDuck). Wayne and Stark's personal fortunes, though they're each CEO of their own companies, are tied up in banks, bonds, stocks and real estate. As such, both are inextricably linked to the fortunes of both domestic and world economies. Another worldwide economic crash like the one in 1929 could reduce them both to paupers, their bankable assets can be hacked, etc. Even Scrooge McDuck was too wary to trust in banks, but he still made the mistake of hoarding his own personal stash in hard currency. What happens when the dollar is devalued? All of The Phantom's fortune is in non-volatile physical assets. No currency. He has a diversified portfolio, too -- gold & silver, precious gemstones of several varieties, rare antique coins, and one-of-a-kind priceless historical artifacts. No Swiss bank accounts to hack, and a worldwide depression only increases his fortune. Short of total global apocalypse (when a can of beans becomes worth more than gold or diamonds), he's literally safer than houses.

It's not mentioned much in the stories, but since the Treasure Rooms exist, we can assume that the same way they became filled in the first place, there continue to be random windfalls coming into the rooms on an irregular basis, more than enough to replace whatever he spends, since he's frugal rather than extravagant. Since the hoard has only grown over the generations, that proves that each Phantom is accumulating more wealth than he's consuming. (A classic idea never goes out of style. The Punisher funds his personal war against crime in the same way, by re-purposing ill-gotten gains. Some of the Phantoms' wealth came in the form of gifts of gratitude; that never happened with Frank Castle.)

What's he got to spend it on? A wall full of Colt .45 automatics and cases of bullets; half a dozen each of pairs of leather boots and gunbelts; a wardrobe full of trenchcoats, fedoras and sunglasses; radio, GPS/satellite and computer equipment; food for Hero and Devil; some metal shop equipment for making rings and odds and ends, and repairs. Diana can easily raise the children on her UN salary, although Kit will certainly underwrite the cost of their higher education. (They were home-schooled when younger). His greatest personal budgetary expense is probably air fare and related travel costs. I think the Bandar tribesmen (or tribeswomen) are probably responsible for the seam-stressing and maintaining a supply of the purple longjohns. The costume is part of their tribal culture, and I seem to recall special mention being made of the purple color coming from a dye they used made from some very local berries.

Did you see the Karl Urban Judge Dredd? He kept his mask on. Karl's name sometimes come up as a fan favorite to play the Phantom. But Billy Zane did a good job, Zane is only 47 young enough to play the role again. There was supposed to be another Phantom movie and a Mandrake movie but haven't heard anything about those for some time.
                              No, I didn't see DREDD. I was very disappointed with the "look" (prod. design) of the world of the Mega-Cities that I glimpsed in set photos and short clips I'd seen online. That's one thing that I actually think the Stallone movie did rather well, while DREDD has a real sort of shabby low-budget MAD MAX-looking quality to it (not that MM didn't have other qualities that redeemed the lack of budget). Urban may well have given an accurate portrayal of Dredd's character in the film, but if you can't sell me on the production design of a film, I've already mentally disengaged my suspension of disbelief. Although Judge Dredd is the star of his own eponymous series in 2000AD, Mega-City One is the equal co-star, along with its sometimes bizarre citizens and weird future-crimes, and all those little details like Boing, the Fatties, Block Wars, Synthi-(everything), and Smokatoriums.

Billy Zane is one of those "handsome men" that you see in movies and on television, but he also seems very likeable and easy-going. He's a very capable actor, too. I remember when I first saw The Phantom, I could have imagined him as being cast in all sorts of superhero roles - Batman, Superman, or what have you. He's almost sort of your "basic hero template type". It really surprises me that this guy didn't become one of the mega-stars, but so much has to do with timing, agents, connections, and so forth. This sounds sort of counter-intuitive, but I almost wonder if his own good looks didn't work against him, casting wise.

When it comes to movies King Features assets seem to be underutilized. If I was Kings/Hearst CEO I would be wanting to bring them all under direct corporate control and do a Disney/Marvel. I think doing three movies , (Phantom, Mandrake and Flash) and then doing a team up would work.They wouldn't have to be as big budgets as the Marvel/DC offerings either.

Anyway lets see what DE those with the final two issues.

Ralph.
                              I'm not sure if Hearst Entertainment is directly tied with any of the larger film entertainment corporations, but I think there would need to be a direct ownership relationship there like with WB/DC or Disney/Marvel for them to have that kind of pull in Hollywood.

I was curious myself, so I looked up on Wikipedia the List of assets owned by Hearst Corporation. Plenty of good media stuff there, but unfortunately sadly lacking on film production front, i.e. they own no major movie studios, and Hearst itself is a privately-held corporation so it isn't owned BY a movie studio or a larger conglomerate that owns movie studios. They should work on that. The most likely scenario is that a larger multimedia/film entertainment corporation (other than Time-Warner/AOL or Disney) would purchase the Hearst Corporation. Not sure who the most likely contenders for that position would be.
                              Last edited by pulphero; 12-30-2013, 12:59 AM.

Comment

• The King Watch/Flash Gordon/Phantom/Mandrake MEGATHREAD!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/01/...gordon-series/

Looks pretty neat. But whereas I was a huge fan of DE's Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist, they've got a pretty high benchmark to meet or exceed. But more Flash Gordon is GOOD. Can we get more Phantom and Mandrake as well?

Comment

Working...
                                X