Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The King Watch/Flash Gordon/Phantom/Mandrake MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash Gordon #2 Feedback

Jeff Parker is settling down on some great characterization for Flash, Dale, Doc,and Barin. The art was great, especially the flying ship scenes. Having Flash take an urge to act against the experiments on the Beastmen was great set up for the next issue! Everyone needs to spread the word--Flash is king of the impossible!!!

Comment

• G'day,

Read Flash 2 yesterday. Its now one of my most favorite DE title. Certainly the most fun.

Ralph

Comment

• http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/...k-the-phantom/
        How did DE let Hermes Press get the Phantom, they have a new series starting this September?

Comment

• Originally posted by rasx View Post
          http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/...k-the-phantom/
          How did DE let Hermes Press get the Phantom, they have a new series starting this September?
          Hermes Press' association with King Features and The Phantom goes back to 2010 (right around the same time Dynamite started publishing The Last Phantom), when they began publishing hardcover collections of the Phantom comic strip and comic books.

While Hermes is new to the regular floppy color comics format (except for some past FCBD giveaways), last year they published a regular color comic serializing Howard Chaykin's reimagining of Buck Rogers (another series which they've been reprinting in hardcover collections of the strip and comic books since 2008, even before Dynamite took a stab at the character).

If Dynamite can't make Buck Rogers and The Phantom into ongoing franchises for regular color comic books, why shouldn't Hermes get a shot at the character?

That quote from Peter David about the story being one that he's “literally been thinking about for a couple of decades” is obviously a reference to David having written DC's first version of the character in a 4-issue miniseries published back in 1988. While the miniseries led to an ongoing DC series lasting 13 issues, the latter series was written not by Peter David, but by Mark Verheiden. (Maybe Peter David has a story behind that particular decision on DC's part.)

I expect to see a solicitation any time soon now of Hermes Press' hardcover collection of DC Comics' version of The Phantom from the 1980s.

Comment

• So, yeah....

I didn't want to give Flash Gordon by Jeff Parker a fair shot because I loved the first Flash Gordon series by Dynamite and was upset when they cancelled it, but man......this book was stellar and a fine piece of pulp comics. I loved the ending of the first issue with Arden pretending they were from Mongo, what a great twist.

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
              Hermes Press' association with King Features and The Phantom goes back to 2010 (right around the same time Dynamite started publishing The Last Phantom), when they began publishing hardcover collections of the Phantom comic strip and comic books.

While Hermes is new to the regular floppy color comics format (except for some past FCBD giveaways), last year they published a regular color comic serializing Howard Chaykin's reimagining of Buck Rogers (another series which they've been reprinting in hardcover collections of the strip and comic books since 2008, even before Dynamite took a stab at the character).

If Dynamite can't make Buck Rogers and The Phantom into ongoing franchises for regular color comic books, why shouldn't Hermes get a shot at the character? . . .
              It just is a tad confusing since The Phantom was just in Dynamite's Kings Watch mini-series . . . I guess the licensing for Phantom in that case was maybe only good for a year?

(And who has licensing rights to Mandrake these days?)

Comment

• Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
                It just is a tad confusing since The Phantom was just in Dynamite's Kings Watch mini-series . . . I guess the licensing for Phantom in that case was maybe only good for a year?

(And who has licensing rights to Mandrake these days?)
                Interestingly, nobody's currently reprinting Mandrake's original comic strips in the U.S. A while back, UK publisher Titan Books announced plans to do so, but it hasn't happened yet. Even before that (waaaaay back), (some will have to google this to confirm) Dynamite announced that it had the rights to do Mandrake comic books, but so far his only appearance has been in Kings Watch. Whether they plan to eventually spin him into his own series as they did with Flash Gordon, only Nick B. knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                  Interestingly, nobody's currently reprinting Mandrake's original comic strips in the U.S. A while back, UK publisher Titan Books announced plans to do so, but it hasn't happened yet. Even before that (waaaaay back), (some will have to google this to confirm) Dynamite announced that it had the rights to do Mandrake comic books, but so far his only appearance has been in Kings Watch. Whether they plan to eventually spin him into his own series as they did with Flash Gordon, only Nick B. knows.
                  I bought many of the Mandrake comic books from Pioneer that reprinted the old strips back in the late 1980s . . . really enjoyed those.

Comment

I bought many of the Mandrake comic books from Pioneer that reprinted the old strips back in the late 1980s . . . really enjoyed those.
                    With hindsight, I wish I'd paid more attention to what Pioneer was publishing back in the (1980s?). I was probably a little too obsessive in my DC/Marvel phase at the time, and a lot of retailers didn't carry those small black & white publishers unless you specifically pre-ordered them. Now finding specific issues of those titles is problematic, although random issues seem to turn up fairly often in those bargain boxes. It would take a huge amount of time and rummaging to complete whole runs, so I've never attempted it. I assume that strip continuities just ran from end to end, issue by issue, rather than them trying to edit the strips in some way to fit a complete story into a single issue. I did manage to get a fair selection of some of the earlier Blackthorne comic strip reprints, but none of their individual series ran more than a few issues, except for Dick Tracy, where they seeming published several formats and titles for years.

I'm especially keen on reading the Phantom and Flash Gordon and Mandrake from the Silver Age period, beginning in 1961 when Sy Barry took over as artist of the Phantom, and Fred Fredericks took over as artist on Mandrake in 1965. That stuff seems to have rarely been reprinted in the U.S. It's going to be quite awhile until Hermes Press gets to the Sy Barry Phantom, as they're currently only up to the mid-1940s with the Phantom daily strip reprints.

Comment

• And there were severaly years that Charlton had a Phantom comic book, but the quality of those was . . . shaky.

Comment

And there were severaly years that Charlton had a Phantom comic book, but the quality of those was . . . shaky.

Basically, your choices for Phantom stories at Charlton involved a dozen or so by Jim Aparo when Charlton first got it (concurrent with him taking over AQUAMAN at DC), followed by a whole lot of Pat Boyette, and a half-dozen stories at the end of the run by Don Newton, which are among the very BEST Phantom comic books ever done, if not THE best (marred only by terrible printing).
                        Last edited by pulphero; 07-17-2014, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• Just re-read the King's Watch mini, and have to say: (1) it was soooo excellent (which I already knew, but still ...) and (2) I want a Mandrake series (mini or otherwise). By Jeff Parker. So much potential there.

Comment

• http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/08/...solicitations/
                            It looks like Flash Gordon is ending.

Comment

• GASP! OK, not really. Just kidding. 8 issues is better than 6 issues, or 4 issues. Same as Doc Savage. All DE can do is make the comic. If only they didn't have to depend on those inconvenient other people to buy them. Try as I might, I just can't seem to figure out a plan to cut them out of the loop. At least you and I did our parts, so no regrets.

Funny story. A couple of months ago, I overheard an encounter in my LCS in which a totally clueless adult came in to buy a comic for her son (turned out the kid was like 20). IIRC, she originally said "Flash Gordon". There followed a funny 5-10 minute confused conversation/interrogation, where the clerk tried to figure out from the woman whether she was talking about DE's Flash Gordon or DC's The Flash ("It's his favorite character", "Like, from that 1980s movie?", "That's it, I think. I don't know, is there a difference?"). The woman seemed completely uncertain when presented with both comics. (As it turned out, it really doesn't help that FG usually wears a red shirt, sometimes with a lightning bolt on it.) It went back and forth, and at a couple of different points, she seemed almost decided one way, then the other. ("Super-speed? Outer space guy? Justice League? Rocket ships?") The funniest part was when the clerk started doing a rendition of Queen's Flash Gordon Theme. Maybe you just had to be there. Finally, after much frustrated haranging, it turned out to be the DC comic, though. Or at least, that's the comic she wound up paying for and walking OUT with... who can say for sure...? I got the impression that the clerk was strongly leaning toward The Flash, based solely on the kid's age, but what's weird is that I've seen younger kids come in that store asking for things you wouldn't think they'd possibly know of. One 10-year old kid I remember was scraping up the B-list of Marvel Silver/Bronze Age characters, from Ant-Man to Fin Fang Foom to the Cobra to the Wrecking Crew, looking for a graphic novel with those as the main character, or at least as the main villain. Musta' been raised on Essentials, or something. Clerk wound up selling him the first issue of the current Fantastic Four series, that had Fin Fang Foom in it.
                              Last edited by pulphero; 08-23-2014, 06:19 PM.

Comment

• G'day,

The solicitation actually says:

"This is the end. The final issue by super-team Jeff Parker, Evan Shaner, and Jordie Bellaire! Flash, Dale, and Zarkov may have finally figured out a way back to Earth! But will Ming’s forces follow? Are their adventures over? Find out in the astounding final issue of Flash Gordon!"

My answer to the questions: Yes. No.

I think we will see a sequel to Kings Watch with hopefully the return of the rightful heir to the Skull Throne.

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by rasx View Post
                                http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/08/...solicitations/
                                It looks like Flash Gordon is ending.

Comment

Working...
                                X