Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The King Watch/Flash Gordon/Phantom/Mandrake MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
    G'day,

The solicitation actually says:

"This is the end. The final issue by super-team Jeff Parker, Evan Shaner, and Jordie Bellaire! Flash, Dale, and Zarkov may have finally figured out a way back to Earth! But will Ming’s forces follow? Are their adventures over? Find out in the astounding final issue of Flash Gordon!"

My answer to the questions: Yes. No.

I think we will see a sequel to Kings Watch with hopefully the return of the rightful heir to the Skull Throne.

ta

Ralph

8 issues is a good run for a mini from Dynamite. This has been the best Flash Gordon series yet--humor, action, drive, etc. Let's hope it will be a series of mini series so that the comic book industry seems to support from the non-big guys of Marvel/DC. Doc Savage went for 8 issues and has been immediately followed by the Justice Inc. mini AND hopefully another mini series. This seems to be the best strategy for Dynamite in today's market. I too hope for another King's Watch mini series. I also hope for another mini to follow the upcoming Masks II mini.

At least John Carter is coming back!

Comment

• Originally posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
      8 issues is a good run for a mini from Dynamite. This has been the best Flash Gordon series yet--humor, action, drive, etc. Let's hope it will be a series of mini series so that the comic book industry seems to support from the non-big guys of Marvel/DC. Doc Savage went for 8 issues and has been immediately followed by the Justice Inc. mini AND hopefully another mini series. This seems to be the best strategy for Dynamite in today's market. I too hope for another King's Watch mini series. I also hope for another mini to follow the upcoming Masks II mini.

Amen. A good story is a good story. I'll take them one at a time.

Comment

• G'day,

Flash Gordon has been the one Dynamite comic that has never disappointed me. It was the book I most eagerly waited for. So I hope they eventually bring him back in his own solo book.

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by Blinky McQuade View Post

Comment

Flash Gordon has been the one Dynamite comic that has never disappointed me. It was the book I most eagerly waited for. So I hope they eventually bring him back in his own solo book.
          Really, Ralph, just the one title? In 8 years or so of DE's publishing? For Magno, it was just the single issue of Masks (#1) by Alex Ross. Wow, people really do have exacting standards out there. Don't get me wrong, you can hold any standard you want. On the one hand, it seems to me that most people wouldn't be that ... I don't want to say "finicky" but I can't think of anything else right now. And on the other hand, I could easily see someone else reading the current FG and shrugging it off as "OK maybe, not that great. No big deal." Not saying I'm one of them, just that everybody seems to be bringing their own preconceptions and expectations to the table, if you know what I mean. If you're looking for Alex Raymond-esqueness in a FG comic, you're probably not finding that here.

Plus there's all these other factors going into it, beyond just what you or I judge it to be from a quality standpoint. Could be the best Flash Gordon comic book on the planet ever, and still not going to make a bit of difference to a guy who's super-invested in Wolverine, and doesn't really care one way or the other about Flash Gordon. In general, I believe FG is going to have more appeal in certain foreign markets than in America, just because of the history of the character there compared to the evolution of the comic market in America. I'm sure this FG will wind up translated and collected in a lot of different albums in different languages. Not really sure how that works as far as profit splits between DE and KFS in those markets.

Dynamite's previous FG series (Zeitgeist) never disappointed me either, so I couldn't really understand why it wasn't better appreciated (and better selling). I probably would have ranked that among the Top Ten series that DE has ever published. Just goes to show that good things can fail in the comic marketplace (the American one, at any rate), despite the quality, and it's not DE's fault. Something like All Star Western, by DC's sales standards, is a disappointing performer in the domestic marketplace (despite what I would judge as pretty high quality overall), but one of the reasons it may have lasted as long as it did may be its value in foreign reprint editions. That might apply to something like DE's Flash Gordon, too. At least, it's probably making its publication worthwhile for KFS. If DE isn't getting a slice of that un-American pie, it ultimately won't make a difference to them though.
          Last edited by pulphero; 08-31-2014, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• No.. in the time I was reading it. Can't look forward to some other book which may have been even better but is not currently available.

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
            Really, Ralph, just the one title? In 8 years or so of DE's publishing? For Magno, it was just the single issue of Masks (#1) by Alex Ross. Wow, people really do have exacting standards out there. Don't get me wrong, you can hold any standard you want. On the one hand, it seems to me that most people wouldn't be that ... I don't want to say "finicky" but I can't think of anything else right now. And on the other hand, I could easily see someone else reading the current FG and shrugging it off as "OK maybe, not that great. No big deal." Not saying I'm one of them, just that everybody seems to be bringing their own preconceptions and expectations to the table, if you know what I mean. If you're looking for Alex Raymond-esqueness in a FG comic, you're probably not finding that here.

Plus there's all these other factors going into it, beyond just what you or I judge it to be from a quality standpoint. Could be the best Flash Gordon comic book on the planet ever, and still not going to make a bit of difference to a guy who's super-invested in Wolverine, and doesn't really care one way or the other about Flash Gordon. In general, I believe FG is going to have more appeal in certain foreign markets than in America, just because of the history of the character there compared to the evolution of the comic market in America. I'm sure this FG will wind up translated and collected in a lot of different albums in different languages. Not really sure how that works as far as profit splits between DE and KFS in those markets.

Dynamite's previous FG series (Zeitgeist) never disappointed me either, so I couldn't really understand why it wasn't better appreciated (and better selling). I probably would have ranked that among the Top Ten series that DE has ever published. Just goes to show that good things can fail in the comic marketplace (the American one, at any rate), despite the quality, and it's not DE's fault. Something like All Star Western, by DC's sales standards, is a disappointing performer in the domestic marketplace (despite what I would judge as pretty high quality overall), but one of the reasons it may have lasted as long as it did may be its value in foreign reprint editions. That might apply to something like DE's Flash Gordon, too. At least, it's probably making its publication worthwhile for KFS. If DE isn't getting a slice of that un-American pie, it ultimately won't make a difference to them though.

Comment

• Would love to know what this is. Alas, the links are to that site.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	AllHail2015-Teaser-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	48894Click image for larger version

Name:	AllHail2015-Teaser-2.jpg
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	48895Click image for larger version

Name:	AllHail2015-Teaser-3.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	48896Click image for larger version

Name:	AllHail2015-Teaser-4.jpg
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	48897Click image for larger version

Name:	AllHail2015-Teaser-5.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	48898
                The King characters are back at DE in 2015.

Comment

• Well, FLASH GORDON hasn't even ended (there's still his upcoming Special), so you can't really even say they ever went away. I think they left enough plot threads dangling at the end of KINGS WATCH that you knew that they always intended a follow-up sequel. I will say adding Prince Valiant to the mix wasn't totally predictable, and it looks like Prince Barin (at least, that sure looks like Arboria in the background) has been upgraded to a co-starring role, while Lothar continues the search for the true heir to the Phantom legacy, so that makes KINGS WATCH, FLASH GORDON, and ALL HAIL (if that IS the actual title) all direct sequels set in the same continuity.

That's not what the big news is here. Two words -- Darwyn Cooke! And that is AWESOME news indeed.
                  Last edited by pulphero; 10-07-2014, 11:50 PM.

Comment

• G'day,
                    Another bit of fun reading. Very much looking forward but I'll be very annoyed if they don't end up with the real Phantom by the end not an impostor.

Some speculation.

Who do we hail? Why the King of course. Whose one f the most famous Kings of legendary history? King Arthur of course. Who has King Arthur's sword today? The Phantom of course Who was a member of Arthur's round table? Prince Valiant of course. Who has Excalibur's twin, Prince Valiant of course (the Singing Sword) . Who might have the magical skills to use Excalibur to pull Prince Valiant out of time Mandrake of course.

Am I on to something, probably not of course.

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                    Well, FLASH GORDON hasn't even ended (there's still his upcoming Special), so you can't really even say they ever went away. I think they left enough plot threads dangling at the end of KINGS WATCH that you knew that they always intended a follow-up sequel. I will say adding Prince Valiant to the mix wasn't totally predictable, and it looks like Prince Barin (at least, that sure looks like Arboria in the background) has been upgraded to a co-starring role, while Lothar continues the search for the true heir to the Phantom legacy, so that makes KINGS WATCH, FLASH GORDON, and ALL HAIL (if that IS the actual title) all direct sequels set in the same continuity.

That's not what the big news is here. Two words -- Darwyn Cooke! And that is AWESOME news indeed.

Comment

Another bit of fun reading. Very much looking forward but I'll be very annoyed if they don't end up with the real Phantom by the end not an impostor.

Some speculation. Who might have the magical skills to use Excalibur to pull Prince Valiant out of time Mandrake of course.

Am I on to something, probably not of course.
                      I'm with you on Lothar. I like Lothar... AS Lothar. Right now they are doing a similar bit over at Marvel, with the Falcon becoming Captain America for a while. I'm all for "diversity" in comics, but why does every non-Caucasian character (or woman) have to take on the costume of some already-established iconic superhero in order to get some of the spotlight? Why can't they just build up the character of THE FALCON, as HIMSELF, by using him more frequently in different books, and trying him out in his own series? The gimmick is becoming a little tiresome by now (just like characters dying -- they must have a rental rate for cemetery plots for short-timers). When it's Green Lantern or Nova or somebody like that, it's fine, since those names don't really represent a totally unique individual, but frankly, I wish they'd give it a rest. The Phantom, of course, has been MANY men over his long career, but they've always followed the same line of succession. It's even odder for Jeff Parker to shuffle the Phantom out of the spotlight, since it's not like he's been appearing in DE's comics month after month for years on end, and people might be taking him for granted, so they need to do something to shake things up and get people's attention.

It's a perfectly logical conclusion that Mandrake would be the one responsible for bringing Valiant forward 1000 years in time. Unless just they found him perfectly cryonically frozen in a drifting ice floe or something like that.

But I guess we should also consider the possibility that Mandrake could create a spell to transport the rest of the heroes back 1000 years into the past. In one respect, that might possibly make the title "ALL HAIL" make a little more sense, because isn't Prince Valiant the heir-apparent to someday become KING Valiant, as surely as the first-born son of the Phantom is next in line to become the NEXT Phantom?

...and now that I think about it, isn't PRINCE Barin ever going to get to be KING Barin? The absolute worst-case scenario would be if he was ever stripped of his Princely title for some offense... surely the ignominy of it would be bad enough by itself, but can you imagine if he were busted down in rank to BARON Barin? Even that would probably be better than if he legally changed his name from Prince Barin to some indecipherable and unpronounceable doodle, and people had to refer to his as "The ruler of Arboria formerly known as..."
                      Last edited by pulphero; 10-08-2014, 08:57 AM.

Comment

• Here is the latest info!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=56104

Comment

• Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                          I AM EXCITED!!! Jungle Jim and Prince Valiant too? A follow up crossover event after the mini series? Not ignoring the events of King's Watch (primarily Luthor and Flash Gordon)? This is awsome! I see Luthor as a temporary role as the Phantom (until he finds the family successor) but it is good that they are not ignoring what took place before. DE using mini series to bring more attention to their characters (one shot specials too). Great strategy!

With the cool Justice Inc mini and one shots of each of the Justice Inc members, DE has another franchise to follow as well.

Looking forward to announcements about Masks II (Green Hornet and the Spider I hope).

Add John Carter and hopes of the return of Lord of the Jungle, DE is taking my money willingly!

Comment

I AM EXCITED!!! Jungle Jim and Prince Valiant too? A follow up crossover event after the mini series? Not ignoring the events of King's Watch (primarily Luthor and Flash Gordon)? This is awsome! I see Luthor as a temporary role as the Phantom (until he finds the family successor) but it is good that they are not ignoring what took place before. DE using mini series to bring more attention to their characters (one shot specials too). Great strategy!

With the cool Justice Inc mini and one shots of each of the Justice Inc members, DE has another franchise to follow as well.

Looking forward to announcements about Masks II (Green Hornet and the Spider I hope).

Add John Carter and hopes of the return of Lord of the Jungle, DE is taking my money willingly!
                            I agree, with John Carter, King and if they bring back Tarzan. I'm gonna be broke next year.

Comment

(primarily Luthor and Flash Gordon)? This is awsome! I see Luthor as a temporary
                              LEX Luthor? It's LOTHAR, not Luthor, Blinky. Sure they're both bald as a cueball, but that's all they share in common. And don't forget who came first. Sorry, pet peeve.
                              It's kind of too bad that Lothar is The Phantom right now, because given a chance, I think he could star in his own series, just as LOTHAR. He's kind of the KFS analog to Marvel's Luke Cage.
                              Last edited by pulphero; 10-09-2014, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X