Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The King Watch/Flash Gordon/Phantom/Mandrake MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G'day,

Here's a video with Sal Velluto on the Hermes's Phantom. The way I understand they have a licence to do the Phantom of the 20th Century. I suppose that means Dynamite will be doing only an updated Phantom.

ta

Ralph

Comment

• Originally posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
      How will Val handle the 21st century? How magic is the Singing Sword? Will Val's experience on the Round Table influence this grouping of heroes as a team (like the Defenders of the Earth team) or a non-team (like the old Defenders from Marvel was supposed to be taking in whoever or whomever they need or can get--Hulk most issues, Namor some, Moon Knight for a mission, etc.)?
      I'm essentially looking at this group of KFS heroes the same way I'm looking at the expanded cast of PROJECT SUPERPOWERS -- i.e. they're characters who share the same UNIVERSE, but they are not a TEAM (... or even a "non-team" like Marvel's DEFENDERS). They are loosely allied, in the same sense that Marvel and DC characters who don't hold regular meetings and have a headquarters recognize each other, have "team-ups" with each other on occasion, and so forth. But these characters all have their unique "bailiwicks", as it were -- The Phantom, the African jungle and international piracy; Flash Gordon, Mongo and outer space in general; Mandrake and Lothar (when he's back to his normal self), supernatural threats and other dimensions; Jungle Jim, all the deeply-forested, largely unexplored regions of Earth (and apparently other planets as well). These "divisions of labor" tend to keep them separated in locale (even though none are BOUND by any "jursidiction"), much more so than a team like the Avengers or the Justice League. Of course each of them will oppose criminals wherever they find them. If there is a big enough threat to require more than one of them to fight it, they'll do so, because they're all basically on the side of the angels, but any story involving some big threat that causes them all to become involved is more like a "crossover event" (on a smaller scale than Marvel or DC, or even Project Superpowers, because there are less heroes in the KFS universe). But normally, Flash, Dale and Zarkov are going to be spending most of their time in Mongo's planetary system, Phantom globetrotting all over fighting piracy but having a special role as protector of the deep African jungles, Mandrake fighting evil occult menaces, etc. In most ways, the KFS heroes are closer to the pulp heroes than they are to Marvel & DC superheroes, or even the Golden Age-style heroes of PSP. They inhabit a slightly more realistic universe than the one seen in those other comics.

I suspect a few tweaks to the more basic newspaper version of Val will be necessary to bring him into the 21st Century and modern comic books. Things probably having to do with a "more magic" Singing Sword, and some kind of enchantment or protective spell to give him an advantage against modern weapons like guns and grenades, while he's armed with only a weapon that is effective at close quarters (even if it IS magic). These things (you could call them "powers", but I'd suspect they'll remain fairly minimal, for the purposes of a more 'realistic' KFS Universe) could be conferred upon him by either Merlin or Mandrake. Maybe a winged horse for him to get around, or is that just *too* much like Marvel's Black Knight? Well, essentially he would be the KFS universe's counterpart to Black Knight or Thor (in the Marvel Universe), or (in DC terms) the Shining Knight or Viking Prince (who once worked alongside Jonah Hex in a JLA issue... because you see, everything is just Six Degrees of Jonah Hex. )

As for HOW CAN WE MAKE THIS ... A SUCCESS ? Well, pretty sure just about anyone who took the time to post on THIS thread is probably chipping in their $4 per copy to help DE do that... And you can blog about it, twitter about it, post nice positive things on other comic-related message boards, and just general word-of-mouth talking it up to anyone who seems slightly willing to listen. Beyond that... ? Not much I can think of.
      Last edited by pulphero; 10-13-2014, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
        Here's a video with Sal Velluto on the Hermes's Phantom. The way I understand they have a licence to do the Phantom of the 20th Century. I suppose that means Dynamite will be doing only an updated Phantom.
        Thanks much for posting that, Ralph. I had only the briefest snippets of information on Hermes' new Phantom series, so that answered a lot of burning questions. I'm thrilled beyond measure to learn that this series will feature the "Golden Age" Phantom of the 1930s & 40s. Hermes Press has been a godsend to American Phantom fans, because the classic strips have seen very little reprinting in this country since Harvey Comics stopped doing them in the early 1960s (which was before I had started collecting comic books). Then there was a brief period in the late 1980s/early 1990s when Pioneer Books had it for a couple of years, but that's been about it, until Hermes came along and started collecting the Dailies, Sundays, and original comic book material in hardcover books. People in Australia and New Zealand, and the Scandinavian countries (Norway, Sweden, and Denmark) are kind of spoiled over the last half-century (or more) by having a nice steady stream of both reprinted classic Phantom newspaper stories and newly-produced original stories. Thankfully, that seems to be changing (I can only hope this lasts) recently in America.

So then, Daniel Herman of Hermes Press says they'll be concentrating on the original Phantoms up through the 1960s time frame.
        Do you think this serves, by way of explanation, as to the reason why Dynamite's Phantom now is actually Lothar? Come to think of it, DE's The Last Phantom wasn't the familiar (or even a familiar) Phantom, either... and I wonder if it even connects to the current KFS universe (I suppose it's *possible* to connect it up, but I'm thinking... probably not). I hope DE never gives the Phantom some "stealth suit" sci-fi tech like Phantom 2040 (which is OK as long as it stays confined to some "possible future" timeline like Spider-Man 2099 or Batman Beyond) or that terrible SyFy Channel TV movie!
        Last edited by pulphero; 10-13-2014, 04:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
          I hope DE never gives the Phantom some "stealth suit" sci-fi tech like Phantom 2040
          I'd like to see them give him a stealth suit but be umcomfortable using it. Maybe because "It's an unfare advantage" or "it's cheating" kind of thing. It touches on his sense of honor, giving a little insight into the character.
          Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
          http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
            I'd like to see them give him a stealth suit but be umcomfortable using it. Maybe because "It's an unfare advantage" or "it's cheating" kind of thing. It touches on his sense of honor, giving a little insight into the character.
            It's a slippery slope. I kind of feel like The Last Phantom and Lothar-as-Phantom are already pushing the boundaries of what I'm comfortable with. And you know, those "alternate spins" on a character are fine for Batman and Spider-Man, characters where you know you're never far away from the rubber-band "return to status quo". If you give me a basic "regular Phantom" comic book to satiate me, then I don't care what you do in some other comic, if you know what I mean... because "regular Phantom" hasn't even appeared in a DE comic book YET.

And by "regular Phantom" I mean the current one, aka "Kit Walker", the current heir to the dynasty, with the established accoutrements he was given by his creator, Lee Falk -- the traditional costume, twin .45 automatics, Skull Ring (and Protection Ring), Skull Cave, Phantom Chronicles and Treasure Room, his horse Hero, and his pet wolf Devil, Diana Palmer, their children, Kit and Heloise, the Bandar pygmy tribesmen, the Jungle Patrol, the country of Bangalla. I know, I know... how impossibly, hopelessly retro of me to demand such a thing in this day and age of the comic book industry.

Geez Louise... not even FLASH GORDON has a stealth suit in DE's comics... and he was making himself invisible (with the help of Zarkov) back in the 1930s. It just doesn't make any sense to me that the Phantom is going to have better sci-fi gadgets than Flash Gordon. That, and I really not sure what KIND of insight "I'm uncomfortable with this because it's unfair -- but what the heck, screw 'em" gives me into the Phantom's character. Phantom is a name chosen to be evocative, but it doesn't mean he should literally become a phantom. It does sort of bother me that lately (and especially in movies and games) Batman's slowly closing the technological gap between himself and Tony Stark, armoring up and flying around like a bat... pretty soon there'll be no NEED for a separate spinoff character like Terry McGinnis, because we'll already be there in the here and now, no need to wait for "beyond". If it's just a one-off thing for a story where he has to build an armored suit to fight Superman or some Predator, it's different. The original "long underwear/spandex" look for superheroes was supposed to evoke circus acrobats and performers, eye-catching but allowing for maximum freedom of movement. But the modern Batman has slowly gone from acroBat-man to comBat-man, with an overemphasis on chunky protective gear and wearable weaponry. Sometimes I'll look at something like Arkham City Batman, and think "Well OK, it looks cool... but honestly, how can he really move around wearing all that bulky body armor?" And to bear that out, it seems that just about every Batman movie actor had something to say about how heavy, sweaty, and hard-to-move-around it was to work in those suits. It bothers me even more that Captain America has to wear all that kind of stuff now, and Superman needs an armored costume to "look cool", even though he's invulnerable and so has absolutely no need for any of that nonsense. Don't even get me started on "Hulk Armor"....

The thing is, if THE PHANTOM had a history in the US of having been published AS AN ONGOING COMIC BOOK for umpteen-zillion years by somebody, month-in, month-out, then I'd totally understand the need to "change things up" at intervals to maintain ongoing reader interest, or even that he should "gradually evolve with the times", but considering his spotty history as a comic BOOK character in the US comic marketplace, is it really too much to ask to establish him in his standard mode in DE's comics, before going off on some "all new, all different" take on the character? ESPECIALLY since DE having the other KFS characters is his only chance to interact with those other characters, it's kind of frustrating that I don't get to see "classic" Phantom here.
            Last edited by pulphero; 10-13-2014, 08:25 PM.

Comment

to use an analogy, I'd feel cheated, for example, were someone to write a PUNISHER story in which Frank Castle gives up his mission, retires, and finds peace and spiritual balance, or something like that
              Oh, come on, it wasn't that bad.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...sherangel7.jpg

I didn't and don't have a problem with any of the Jonah Hex stories under discussion here (his recently departed series was one of the few New 52 books I was enjoying, and I did really enjoy the final issue).

But yes, back to Kings' Watch...

(Hey, could that be a piece of merchandise? "Get the Kings' Watch King's Watch!")

Comment

not sure what KIND of insight "I'm uncomfortable with this because it's unfair -- but what the heck, screw 'em" gives me into the Phantom's character.

What's so hard to figure out? His rejecting the stealth suit (what I suggested) would show a sense of honor, that he's not willing to lower himself to the bad guy's level.
                Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• G'day,

Well if thats the reason they have Lothar-Phantom its a poor one. My take is they can't do the 21st Phantom with Diana and closely related to the strip. I have no problem with the King Dynamite Universe to being somewhat different from the newspaper strip but I fail to see why they had to destroy the bloodline. The fellow in the Last Phantom was called Kit Walker, the name of all Phantom males. I would have been happy to have a new "Kit Walker" becoming the Phantom with no direct reference the newspaper Phantom.

(But if they can get Heloise in there with her brother as well it would be super)

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                  Thanks much for posting that, Ralph. I had only the briefest snippets of information on Hermes' new Phantom series, so that answered a lot of burning questions. I'm thrilled beyond measure to learn that this series will feature the "Golden Age" Phantom of the 1930s & 40s. Hermes Press has been a godsend to American Phantom fans, because the classic strips have seen very little reprinting in this country since Harvey Comics stopped doing them in the early 1960s (which was before I had started collecting comic books). Then there was a brief period in the late 1980s/early 1990s when Pioneer Books had it for a couple of years, but that's been about it, until Hermes came along and started collecting the Dailies, Sundays, and original comic book material in hardcover books. People in Australia and New Zealand, and the Scandinavian countries (Norway, Sweden, and Denmark) are kind of spoiled over the last half-century (or more) by having a nice steady stream of both reprinted classic Phantom newspaper stories and newly-produced original stories. Thankfully, that seems to be changing (I can only hope this lasts) recently in America.

So then, Daniel Herman of Hermes Press says they'll be concentrating on the original Phantoms up through the 1960s time frame.
                  Do you think this serves, by way of explanation, as to the reason why Dynamite's Phantom now is actually Lothar? Come to think of it, DE's The Last Phantom wasn't the familiar (or even a familiar) Phantom, either... and I wonder if it even connects to the current KFS universe (I suppose it's *possible* to connect it up, but I'm thinking... probably not). I hope DE never gives the Phantom some "stealth suit" sci-fi tech like Phantom 2040 (which is OK as long as it stays confined to some "possible future" timeline like Spider-Man 2099 or Batman Beyond) or that terrible SyFy Channel TV movie!

Comment

• G'day,

The way I see it the Phantom is a "now -tech" kind of guy. The 21st Phantom was (and still is) a very 20th Century fellow with his twin Colt 1911's . I'm a believer in letting him being replaced by his son, like every other Phantom has been and giving the new Phantom a few appropriate evolutionary advancements.

The Phantom had two "powers" hid fearsome reputation and the illusion of the supernatural , so I would try to enhance them in a way that gives writers more option. I would give him a modern smart phone and a Leatherman type multitool so he could do Macgyver type adventures. I would upgrade his weaponry to a modern Glock which has extra firepower, and give him a shotgun like a Serbu Super Shorty, not to kill people but because shot gun fire shells. I would have him shoot gas and smoke shells, how about a shell that shot glowing gas in the shape of a skull at night? Or a skull-paint shell? How about some light body armour but with pockets of red paint. If shoot he would appear to bleed and die but would rise up and get the baddies.. The Ghost Who Walks! but no invisibility belts please.

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                    It's a slippery slope. I kind of feel like The Last Phantom and Lothar-as-Phantom are already pushing the boundaries of what I'm comfortable with. And you know, those "alternate spins" on a character are fine for Batman and Spider-Man, characters where you know you're never far away from the rubber-band "return to status quo". If you give me a basic "regular Phantom" comic book to satiate me, then I don't care what you do in some other comic, if you know what I mean... because "regular Phantom" hasn't even appeared in a DE comic book YET.

And by "regular Phantom" I mean the current one, aka "Kit Walker", the current heir to the dynasty, with the established accoutrements he was given by his creator, Lee Falk -- the traditional costume, twin .45 automatics, Skull Ring (and Protection Ring), Skull Cave, Phantom Chronicles and Treasure Room, his horse Hero, and his pet wolf Devil, Diana Palmer, their children, Kit and Heloise, the Bandar pygmy tribesmen, the Jungle Patrol, the country of Bangalla. I know, I know... how impossibly, hopelessly retro of me to demand such a thing in this day and age of the comic book industry.

Geez Louise... not even FLASH GORDON has a stealth suit in DE's comics... and he was making himself invisible (with the help of Zarkov) back in the 1930s. It just doesn't make any sense to me that the Phantom is going to have better sci-fi gadgets than Flash Gordon. That, and I really not sure what KIND of insight "I'm uncomfortable with this because it's unfair -- but what the heck, screw 'em" gives me into the Phantom's character. Phantom is a name chosen to be evocative, but it doesn't mean he should literally become a phantom. It does sort of bother me that lately (and especially in movies and games) Batman's slowly closing the technological gap between himself and Tony Stark, armoring up and flying around like a bat... pretty soon there'll be no NEED for a separate spinoff character like Terry McGinnis, because we'll already be there in the here and now, no need to wait for "beyond". If it's just a one-off thing for a story where he has to build an armored suit to fight Superman or some Predator, it's different. The original "long underwear/spandex" look for superheroes was supposed to evoke circus acrobats and performers, eye-catching but allowing for maximum freedom of movement. But the modern Batman has slowly gone from acroBat-man to comBat-man, with an overemphasis on chunky protective gear and wearable weaponry. Sometimes I'll look at something like Arkham City Batman, and think "Well OK, it looks cool... but honestly, how can he really move around wearing all that bulky body armor?" And to bear that out, it seems that just about every Batman movie actor had something to say about how heavy, sweaty, and hard-to-move-around it was to work in those suits. It bothers me even more that Captain America has to wear all that kind of stuff now, and Superman needs an armored costume to "look cool", even though he's invulnerable and so has absolutely no need for any of that nonsense. Don't even get me started on "Hulk Armor"....

The thing is, if THE PHANTOM had a history in the US of having been published AS AN ONGOING COMIC BOOK for umpteen-zillion years by somebody, month-in, month-out, then I'd totally understand the need to "change things up" at intervals to maintain ongoing reader interest, or even that he should "gradually evolve with the times", but considering his spotty history as a comic BOOK character in the US comic marketplace, is it really too much to ask to establish him in his standard mode in DE's comics, before going off on some "all new, all different" take on the character? ESPECIALLY since DE having the other KFS characters is his only chance to interact with those other characters, it's kind of frustrating that I don't get to see "classic" Phantom here.

Comment

G'day,

ta

Ralph

Thanks Ralph for posting this video! Hermes' Phantom is taking a page from the Phantom movie by setting the storyline in the 1930s. True, Falk was at his best then, but I do like what Moonstone Comics did with the Phantom (DC did as well with its ongoing Phantom series) by having the Phantom take on contemporary African issues. Moonstone's epic Phantom vs Him storyline which was a loosely constructed story to talk about the monster Joseph Kony and his children army in the Congo region. As much as I like dealing with the Phantom myths and legacies, I want to see a brutal realistic Phantom that deals with child soldiers, ebola viruses, Somolian pirates, animal pouchings, environmental issues, hunger crisis impacts, and the efforts to reverse the legacy of colonialism in the African continent. There are plenty of stories that can be as hard hitting as the current Batman titles to be told in DE's Phantom. I would like the Phantom/Mr. Walker (I always was excited and fascinated when he left Africa in the strips in trenchcoat, sunglasses, and wolf to fight crime in other countries--Batman did not travel internationally much until the 1970s) be that international "pirate" hunter that goes where ever the pirates go.
                      AS for who the Phantom is under the mask, I really do not care as long as the Phantom truly makes a difference in this world as only a "Man who cannot Die" can! A normal man under a mask daring to stop the evil in the world. The Phantom is our wish-fulfillment of making a difference given some feeling of our identity not being at risk. Perhaps instead of "old jungle legend" it could be "old internet legend"? The Phantom can use more modern technology and support to reach his goals (Charlton comics gave him a plane complete with skull motif--how about a helicopter? Moonstone comics had some of Guran's people help the Phantom with internet research and Guran over the decades is a miracle medical provider) but the technology has to be technology that exists today(not high-tech invisibility suits that are not really there yet or nanotech armor that gives him the "strength of ten tigers" or stuff like that). I think we can forget the stories of dinosaurs living on Phantom's isle, missing links (also living on that sanctuary isle in the middle of a lake near the skull cave), or Ruritanian (fictional) European countries. Let's make the Phantom's stories modern and contemporary. I thought when Falk made Diana Palmer-Walker the director of U.N. Asian-African Affairs there would be more international stories spring-boarding from this agency. More global international stories if possible as well. If you want the Phantom to be a success--let's make him take on today's gritty criminal elements where ever in the world it exists!
                      Last edited by Blinky McQuade; 10-14-2014, 06:34 AM.

Comment

• G'day,

But who's under that mask does matter. The linage gives the character a form of immortality. Readers know it doesn't matter in what era the story is set the Phantom will always be the Phantom. Its the bloodline not the costume that makes him unique. Think of it this way, you don't have to be born to rule to rule but you do need to be born a King to be a King.
                        Ralph

Originally posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
                        Thanks Ralph for posting this video! Hermes' Phantom is taking a page from the Phantom movie by setting the storyline in the 1930s. True, Falk was at his best then, but I do like what Moonstone Comics did with the Phantom (DC did as well with its ongoing Phantom series) by having the Phantom take on contemporary African issues. Moonstone's epic Phantom vs Him storyline which was a loosely constructed story to talk about the monster Joseph Kony and his children army in the Congo region. As much as I like dealing with the Phantom myths and legacies, I want to see a brutal realistic Phantom that deals with child soldiers, ebola viruses, Somolian pirates, animal pouchings, environmental issues, hunger crisis impacts, and the efforts to reverse the legacy of colonialism in the African continent. There are plenty of stories that can be as hard hitting as the current Batman titles to be told in DE's Phantom. I would like the Phantom/Mr. Walker (I always was excited and fascinated when he left Africa in the strips in trenchcoat, sunglasses, and wolf to fight crime in other countries--Batman did not travel internationally much until the 1970s) be that international "pirate" hunter that goes where ever the pirates go.
                        AS for who the Phantom is under the mask, I really do not care as long as the Phantom truly makes a difference in this world as only a "Man who cannot Die" can! A normal man under a mask daring to stop the evil in the world. The Phantom is our wish-fulfillment of making a difference given some feeling of our identity not being at risk. Perhaps instead of "old jungle legend" it could be "old internet legend"? The Phantom can use more modern technology and support to reach his goals (Charlton comics gave him a plane complete with skull motif--how about a helicopter? Moonstone comics had some of Guran's people help the Phantom with internet research and Guran over the decades is a miracle medical provider) but the technology has to be technology that exists today(not high-tech invisibility suits that are not really there yet or nanotech armor that gives him the "strength of ten tigers" or stuff like that). I think we can forget the stories of dinosaurs living on Phantom's isle, missing links (also living on that sanctuary isle in the middle of a lake near the skull cave), or Ruritanian (fictional) European countries. Let's make the Phantom's stories modern and contemporary. I thought when Falk made Diana Palmer-Walker the director of U.N. Asian-African Affairs there would be more international stories spring-boarding from this agency. More global international stories if possible as well. If you want the Phantom to be a success--let's make him take on today's gritty criminal elements where ever in the world it exists!

Comment

• Originally posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
                          There are plenty of stories that can be as hard hitting as the current Batman titles to be told in DE's Phantom.
                          Especially as DC pretty much chucked the interesting "Batman of Africa" Batwing concept--which was dealing with such things--as fast as they could.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                            Especially as DC pretty much chucked the interesting "Batman of Africa" Batwing concept--which was dealing with such things--as fast as they could.
                            I know--Batwing, the first one, was a unique character that did not find an audience so they relaunched with Luke Fox.

My point is it does not matter who is the Phantom, currently it is Lothar (until Kit and Heloise are found maybe at the end of the storyline); unless the stories are up to the intensity of the current Batman titles, the Phantom will not attract the audiences to maintain sales. The Phantom comic strips have started introducing returning villains like the Python, a modern day terrorist (wikapedia lists a handful more) DE needs to expand the Phantom's rogues gallery. The Phantom fighting the same Singh Brotherhood all the time is not enough. I like stories that reflect the real world challenges and want my heroes to attempt to deal with those challenges. In the real world there is no Superman or Thor to save the day with their incredible powers (I no longer feel I can support those comics as the super-characters are unbelievable to me at my age), there are only normal people. Heroes like the Phantom, Doc Savage, Batman, Punisher, and the Spider could exist in the real world given the training, technology, and bravery of the characters. These are the heroes I can look up to and they influence the choices of the comic purchases I make as it is doubtful that I will be as rich as Bruce Wayne, trained like Doc Savage, smart as Tony Stark, or as brave as the Phantom they are more believable wish fulfillment fantasies.

Before I could read, the Phantom Sunday comic strip was my first superhero I would follow. Lee Falk established great mechanisms to keep the story interesting. From the "For those who came in late" recaps of the Phantom's origin, to the past Phantom stories dealing with the Phantoms throughout history, to the cool rings that could leave a serious disfiguring mark on villains' chins (as a kid I believed that such a mark could be permanent--maybe the ring has sharp edges to leave the scar?), the Phantom is one of my all-time favorite characters. Hopefully, the current Lothar as the Phantom will garner some media attention as Falcoln as Captain America is generating interest. As a long time comic buyer, I know that this Phantom will be temporary (I blame the death of Superman for all these "let's replace the main hero for a while" story-lines--it worked for Supes, so let's replace Batman a couple times, Wonder Woman a couple times, Green Lantern ditto, Iron Man ditto, etc.). I just want the story-lines, villains, and dangers to be up to the caliber of excellence.

The only criticism I have of Falk was the dialogue was too simple (he did that for international translations). It was Prince Valiant that had me heading to the dictionary every Sunday. Flash Gordon had great art but my paper dropped it as a kid. I was able to pick up the Kitchen Sink reprint books of Alex Raymond's great epics--I am happy.
                            Last edited by Blinky McQuade; 10-14-2014, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post

What's so hard to figure out? His rejecting the stealth suit (what I suggested) would show a sense of honor, that he's not willing to lower himself to the bad guy's level.
                              Oh, I took you to mean, (DE or the writer) "give him a stealth suit" in the sense that he'd actually USE it, even though he would express some uneasiness with the idea like "I'm not entirely comfortable with this, but... whatever it takes to get the job done, I'll fight fire with fire". If you meant more like someone in the story gives him a stealth suit, and basically he rejects the idea and says "Thanks, but no thanks -- not really my style of fighting", that's entirely different. Yeah, that I COULD see as showing insight into his character.

Comment

The way I see it the Phantom is a "now -tech" kind of guy. The 21st Phantom was (and still is) a very 20th Century fellow with his twin Colt 1911's . I'm a believer in letting him being replaced by his son, like every other Phantom has been and giving the new Phantom a few appropriate evolutionary advancements.
                                I was always curious as to why Lee Falk, having established the backstory and lineage of the Phantom early on, did not allow the 21st Phantom (which is what he was from his inception in the 1930s) to age, marry, and have children early on (instead of waiting until the 1970s to marry Diana Palmer). THE PHANTOM *could* have been the "Gasoline Alley" of adventure strips, a family saga stretching over many decades, with the characters ageing in real time. It still puzzles me. Had it been thus, the 22nd Phantom probably would have taken over the role by sometime in the early 1950s, and we'd be on the 24th or maybe even 25th Phantom by now. Yet even since marrying Diana, and having the twins Kit and Heloise, they have all barely aged. I just wonder why Falk couldn't have let them (at least at some point, it must have occurred to him that unlike other comic strips, HIS comic strip could *always* continue, despite its main character growing into a senior citizen - or more likely, dying dramatically - for there would always be an heir to the legend of the Phantom to carry on). It seems particularly odd in light of the fact that the strip often revisited the stories of Phantoms of the past, yet in the context of the strip's history, there would NEVER be another Phantom after the 21st, since this one would LITERALLY never die. If the 21st Phantom was the same age as one of his readers in 1936, that reader would be around 100 years old today; and that means that the 20 Phantoms before him get moved up in time by their birth dates 100 years forward, so that the very first Phantom began his career nearly 100 years later than he did when he was first shown in the strip.

I can see him replacing the Colt 1911As with more modern pistols in essentially the same style, and maybe getting a costume upgrade to include something with a Kevlar/Nomex layer, and maybe a hard ceramic shell inside the cowl to protect from head injuries (none of which would make the suit look any different on the outside). I don't see him as going the high-tech Batman route though, although of course he'd have a cell phone and GPS. I'd sort of wince at the idea of some kind of "Phantom Humvee" or "Phantom-copter" (like that ugly thing in the cartoon). The way I see it, he owns various vehicles (or can get hold of of them on short notice), just nothing customized, military-grade, or ostentatious. I see the Phantom as more of a low-tech kind of guy relying on his own skills and brains, but he isn't a technophobe either, so naturally he'd have uses for computers in the Skull Cave and things like that. Just not to the "nearly sci-fi" level of military cutting-edge stuff like Batman seems to get, especially in the movies. He's not going to be carrying all sorts of specialized gear in a vest or belt either. 1 simple multi-tool hidden in a boot is a good idea that could come in handy in certain sticky situations. I think upgrading the pistols to a more modern model would be the sole concession to any "weapons upgrade". No tasers or other various kinds of non-lethal weaponry either. He's mastered the use of weapons both ancient and modern, but has a strong preference to avoid relying on those things.
                                Last edited by pulphero; 10-14-2014, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X