Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The King Watch/Flash Gordon/Phantom/Mandrake MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist #1 "commentary" on CBR...

I'd been asked to do a sort of "commentary track" for Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist #1, which is up on Comic Book Resources now.

It's also, basically, the entire first issue for free, so now would be an excellent time to check out the book.

Here's the link.

And please—if you like our Flash Gordon book, share the link around. Thanks!

-E

Comment

Over on another board, the writer of Ardden Entertainment's Flash Gordon posted (on a thread discussing FG: Zeitgeist, yet) "Why pay for Dynamite's FG when you can read Ardden's for free?" (yeah, they had the whole comic online for free).

HAH!!! Take, THAT, Ardden Entertainment -- you and your crappy FG for people who don't like FG.

Go ahead, read both and compare -- Dynamite's FG is clearly the superior product and is basically faithful to the spirit of Alex Raymond's original (while putting a modern, yet retro, spin on it). Ardden's FG is some manga/anime/videogame-inspired sci-fi junk that has NOTHING to do with Alex Raymond's creation. I can't believe Hearst Entertainment gave them a license.
      Last edited by positronic; 01-05-2012, 04:13 AM.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

The Phantom will be making a bold return in 2012

Had to post it here:

[from Dynamite's "IN STORES THIS WEEK" email newsletter:]

VICTOR WRITES: I have been following the Phantom for many years now, and let me tell you... Your new series have brought a new light on this character! The Last Phantom is much bolder - A great storyline, and brilliant artwork.

Thanks for the kind words, Victor and thanks for reading. The Phantom has been one of our underappreciated titles for sure, but have no fear, with the launch of Flash Gordon, and impending release of Mandrake, the Ghost Who Walks will be making a bold return in 2012!

Speculation on my part... Could the Phantom's "bold return" be as a member of the Defenders of the Earth? Or am I reading too much into this? Seems they made a point of mentioning Flash Gordon and Mandrake in that reply...
        Last edited by positronic; 01-05-2012, 05:12 AM.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
          Over on another board, the writer of Ardden Entertainment's Flash Gordon posted (on a thread discussing FG: Zeitgeist, yet) "Why pay for Dynamite's FG when you can read Ardden's for free?" (yeah, they had the whole comic online for free).

HAH!!! Take, THAT, Ardden Entertainment -- you and your crappy FG for people who don't like FG.

Go ahead, read both and compare -- Dynamite's FG is clearly the superior product and is basically faithful to the spirit of Alex Raymond's original (while putting a modern, yet retro, spin on it). Ardden's FG is some manga/anime/videogame-inspired sci-fi junk that has NOTHING to do with Alex Raymond's creation. I can't believe Hearst Entertainment gave them a license.
          While I'm certainly not trying to dispute your opinion -- and I find Brendan's online tactics more than a little tiresome -- Ardden's Flash Gordon has its admirers; I see no reason why the camps should be split. Two distinct takes on the character seems healthy to me (obviously he disagrees, but whatever). For whatever reason, he's decided this is some kind of "war." I'm perfectly happy to not play that game. Kill 'em with kindness. Heh.

Glad you're liking Zeitgeist, though.

Comment

Woohoo! Flash Gordon Zeitgeist #2

FGZ #2 lived up to my hopes after issue #1. The story and art are engaging, bringing Flash Gordon to vivid life. I can't wait for issue #3.

Comment

Originally posted by Greystoke View Post
              FGZ #2 lived up to my hopes after issue #1. The story and art are engaging, bringing Flash Gordon to vivid life. I can't wait for issue #3.
              Excellent! Glad you enjoyed it.

Two of my favorite lines in the series occur in that issue.

-E

Comment

Flash Gordon is Outstanding and It Really Honks Me Off!

Two issues in, Flash Gordon Zeitgeist is OUTSTANDING! It's well-written, well-drawn, and features an amalgam of dialog, depictions, characters, and settings from the Flash Gordon mythos and productions that have come before. So much is familiar about the characters, their traits, and their motivations, yet there are new twists as well, with discoveries that Hitler was a puppet of Ming and that three Mongonians have come to Nazi Germany with the mission of stopping the dictator. Most importantly, these twists fit the story well, they are not additions that mock, parody, or defile the original intent of the creator, Alex Raymond.

So what am I so honked off about? There was obviously so much thought and care going into this latest version of the Flash Gordon story, it really burns me that Dynamite didn't put the same kind of thought and care into bringing us a new version of King Features' other property, the Phantom. It is obvious the writers of this new Flash Gordon series embrace Raymond's mythos. With the Last Phantom, we got an anti-hero that flung dung on the very essence of the character created by Lee Falk. Instead of starting with the characters and building on them as with Flash, they started with the Phantom characters and stripped away what made the character so unique. The Phantom is not just another masked vigilante out seeking revenge for a murdered family, he's a family man out to keep peace and stop violence rather than create it. He does not kill. There is ALWAYS a next generation Phantom from the bloodline (why does every writer seeking to modernize the Phantom always take that away first, as with the Last Phantom, Phantom 2040, and the SyFy Phantom?). Lee Falk wrote the Phantom as a smiling, laughing, sharp-witted man who could enjoy life with his family one moment and be stopping a deadly menace the next. And he is not just about stopping wrong-doers, he's about creating what is right and good. There was just so little to recognize of Lee Falk's creation in the Last Phantom, no wonder the series failed.

Thankfully, Flash Gordon is off to a better start.

Comment

I think you are reading too much into the references to the three characters together. The three are all mentioned together because they are the three properties Dynamite is licensing from King Features.

Regarding the Phantom, "under appreciated" is an understatement and places blame on readers for the disaster that was The Last Phantom. "Misguided" on the part of the series architects is more like it. If the Phantom is to have a bold return, then DE must scrap The Last Phantom and had in a different direction.

DE can do it, as Flash Gordon Zeitgeist is OUTSTANDING! It's well-written, well-drawn, and features an amalgam of dialog, depictions, characters, and settings from the Flash Gordon mythos and productions that have come before. The additions to the mythos do not mock, parody, or defile the original intent of the creator, Alex Raymond, as The Last Phantom.

With the Last Phantom, we got an anti-hero that flung dung on the very essence of the character created by Lee Falk. Instead of starting with the characters and building on them as with Flash, they started with the Phantom characters and stripped away what made the character so unique. The Phantom is not just another masked vigilante out seeking revenge for a murdered family, he's a family man out to keep peace and stop violence rather than create it. He does not kill. There is ALWAYS a next generation Phantom from the bloodline (why does every writer seeking to modernize the Phantom always take that away first, as with the Last Phantom, Phantom 2040, and the SyFy Phantom?). Lee Falk wrote the Phantom as a smiling, laughing, sharp-witted man who could enjoy life with his family one moment and be stopping a deadly menace the next. And he is not just about stopping wrong-doers, he's about creating what is right and good. There was just so little to recognize of Lee Falk's creation in the Last Phantom, no wonder the series failed.

Comment

Complete Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist #1 online for free.

Dynamite and Comic Book Resources have made the complete first issue of Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist #1 available for preview.

If you're on the fence about the book, may I humbly suggest you check it out?

Here's the link!

Thanks, and enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                      Speculation on my part... Could the Phantom's "bold return" be as a member of the Defenders of the Earth? Or am I reading too much into this? Seems they made a point of mentioning Flash Gordon and Mandrake in that reply...
                      I wouldn't be surprised at all, though it sounds as though they'll each get a solo series (or mini) first. Just speculating of course, but I would expect a more traditional Phantom, since Dynamite has shown that they have no issue with having multiple versions of the same character (at least not with Green Hornet).

Comment

I agree with everything you said. I have been really disappointed that Dynamite did not bring their 'A' game to the Phantom franchise (especially since they stole it away from Moonstone) -- I was really expecting better things from Dynamite.

I think it should be posted in The Phantom forum under "Why can't The Last Phantom be as good as Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist?" After all, you're honked off that the Phantom isn't that good, not that FG:Z is.

Here's hoping Dynamite's Mandrake and Defenders of the Earth (c'mon, it's inevitable, right?) comics are better.
                        Last edited by positronic; 01-07-2012, 03:21 AM.

Comment

The Phantom is perfectly capable of supporting at least 2 ongoing titles (one for the current era Phantom, and a "Phantom Chronicles" title exploring Phantom generations of the past). I suspect the reason that Dynamite did not bring a big "push" to the franchise lies with the fact that there is no current or upcoming media tie-in (movie or TV) to draw attention to the character. A shame, because we were getting a lot more Phantom comics from Moonstone than we have from Dynamite. Dynamite could have focused the same amount of energy on The Phantom that they did on Green Hornet, but they chose not to.

Comment

Originally posted by General View Post
                            Two issues in, Flash Gordon Zeitgeist is OUTSTANDING! It's well-written, well-drawn, and features an amalgam of dialog, depictions, characters, and settings from the Flash Gordon mythos and productions that have come before. So much is familiar about the characters, their traits, and their motivations, yet there are new twists as well, with discoveries that Hitler was a puppet of Ming and that three Mongonians have come to Nazi Germany with the mission of stopping the dictator. Most importantly, these twists fit the story well, they are not additions that mock, parody, or defile the original intent of the creator, Alex Raymond.

Wow. Thank you.

-E

Comment

Flash Gordon is Outstanding

Originally posted by eric_trautmann View Post
                              Wow. Thank you.

-E
                              Deserved.

And not only because this old Flash Gordon fan thinks so, as I see you captured the attention of USA Today as well, with a "Best of 2011" nod for "Best Use of a Retro Character" (oops, sorry John Carter).

Good job!

Comment

Originally posted by General View Post
                                Deserved.

And not only because this old Flash Gordon fan thinks so, as I see you captured the attention of USA Today as well, with a "Best of 2011" nod for "Best Use of a Retro Character" (oops, sorry John Carter).

Good job!
                                Yeah, that came as a welcome surprise.

Thanks again!

-E

Comment

Working...
                                X