Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The King Watch/Flash Gordon/Phantom/Mandrake MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
    G'day,

OK Phantom 3 is out and as I predicated we have a girl Phantom hmmm.. The character has a costume nothing like the Phantom and looks like a completely different character. Now I have been saying for a long time that a Phantom derived female hero makes sense and would be great but this is not the way to do it. I wonder if it all related to the tangled licencing situation with Hermes Press. Dynamite does the pseudo Phantom while Hermes does the real Phantom.

ta

Ralph
    I don't think there's anything tangled about the licensing situation. KFS/Hearst is simply licensing the character to more than one publisher (and this was also the case earlier, when DE was publishing THE LAST PHANTOM, while Moonstone was also publishing Phantom comic books). Now, normally licensing arrangements don't work that way -- most licensees want to be guaranteed that the rights they are licensing are exclusive (for a particular region of the world and language where that publisher distributes the bulk of their product), so that other publishers can't just license the same character and compete with their own product. For whatever reason, KFS/Hearst doesn't seem to issue their licenses that way, or maybe the "exclusive rights" option involves the publisher paying some extra fee (above and beyond licensing the character itself) for that guarantee.

Comment

• G'day,

Well, when the Hermes/Dynamite thing came up I remember Dynamite saying something they had the right to the character if he was part of a team up. Which they can claim to be the case here. After all they have Lothor-Phantom and Mandrake made an appearance. Note also Kit, Diana and Heloise were never in the Kings Watch series. Also Frew in Australia (which has the Aussie rights) stopped comic book shops importing the Hermes comics but did nothing with Dynamite. All that makes me think the female Phantom is a pseudo Phantom for licensing reasons.

Ralph

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
      I don't think there's anything tangled about the licensing situation. KFS/Hearst is simply licensing the character to more than one publisher (and this was also the case earlier, when DE was publishing THE LAST PHANTOM, while Moonstone was also publishing Phantom comic books). Now, normally licensing arrangements don't work that way -- most licensees want to be guaranteed that the rights they are licensing are exclusive (for a particular region of the world and language where that publisher distributes the bulk of their product), so that other publishers can't just license the same character and compete with their own product. For whatever reason, KFS/Hearst doesn't seem to issue their licenses that way, or maybe the "exclusive rights" option involves the publisher paying some extra fee (above and beyond licensing the character itself) for that guarantee.

Comment

All that makes me think the female Phantom is a pseudo Phantom for licensing reasons.
        Or one could argue that this is the only actual Phantom, and the others are parallel-world duplicates.

http://comicskingdom.com/phantom

(Or that all are equally valid...)

Comment

G'day,

Well, when the Hermes/Dynamite thing came up I remember Dynamite saying something they had the right to the character if he was part of a team up. Which they can claim to be the case here. After all they have Lothor-Phantom and Mandrake made an appearance. Note also Kit, Diana and Heloise were never in the Kings Watch series. Also Frew in Australia (which has the Aussie rights) stopped comic book shops importing the Hermes comics but did nothing with Dynamite. All that makes me think the female Phantom is a pseudo Phantom for licensing reasons.

Ralph

You seem to be hinting that KFS/Hearst is putting some very specific limitations on which particular elements of the Phantom mythos DE is allowed to use, and which not, in the comic books it publishes. Essentially, you're hinting that DE has the rights to use the name and the costume, but none of the established characters of the strip (Mandrake and Lothar being a completely different license). Or, one way or another, KFS/Hearst gets to review and approve/disapprove all plots and elements (which is pretty standard procedure for a license, anyway). Hermes is doing their own thing, their own way, and sticking close to the classic Phantom. But they are the late arrivals to the game as far as printing new stories in traditional comic book format is concerned. That wouldn't explain why DE needed to avoid using the classic elements from the start in KINGS WATCH (by which time Moonstone had suspended production of new Phantom stories). On the other hand, Hermes was ahead of all the other American publishers when it came to reprinting the classic strips. Since that's what Frew mainly does in Aus/NZ as well, I would assume the Hermes hardcover books aren't distributed there, either.

It doesn't surprise me that Frew (which probably does have exclusive rights for the Australia/New Zealand English-language region) would keep the new Hermes comics out of shops downunder, and I would assume they did the same with Moonstone's Phantom comic books. What about DE's The Last Phantom, which was closer to the original than DE's current version?

Comment

• I seem to remember reading that Hermes had the rights to the 'Classic Phantom' and Dynamite had the rights to do 'New Versions'. Wish I could remember where so I could post a link.
            Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
            Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
            http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
              I seem to remember reading that Hermes had the rights to the 'Classic Phantom' and Dynamite had the rights to do 'New Versions'. Wish I could remember where so I could post a link.
              Here's what doesn't make sense about that idea. Originally, it was Moonstone that had the rights (in the USA) to do new stories of the classic Phantom. Then Dynamite began with their THE LAST PHANTOM series (which was a "new version"). Yet, once DE got going, Moonstone was forced to cease producing new stories of "classic Phantom" (although it continued to sell its existing comic stock, and trade paperbacks). Then there was a large gap between the end of THE LAST PHANTOM, and KINGS WATCH when no version of the Phantom was appearing in new comic book stories (although Hermes Press continued to put out its hardcover reprints of the old comic books, daily and Sunday comic strips). Once again there's a gap between the end of KINGS WATCH and the beginning of the KING event miniseries, and just as it's about to begin, Hermes jumps in with its new Phantom miniseries.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                Or one could argue that this is the only actual Phantom, and the others are parallel-world duplicates.

http://comicskingdom.com/phantom

(Or that all are equally valid...)
                Well, clearly they aren't the same continuities. They may all be "authorized", yet most Phantom phans (I didn't make that up, it's traditional) would probably allow that the original strip is the more "authoritative" version. All, of course, according to the dictates of one's "personal headcanon"...

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                  Well, clearly they aren't the same continuities. They may all be "authorized", yet most Phantom phans (I didn't make that up, it's traditional) would probably allow that the original strip is the more "authoritative" version. All, of course, according to the dictates of one's "personal headcanon"...
                  There was an amusing bit in Spider-Verse where the villain winds up in the newspaper Spider-Man strip and starts realizing that time is... funny there.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...kpdtvyqi8v.jpg

https://p.dreamwidth.org/fa9e4b0d358...014di57ssg.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                    There was an amusing bit in Spider-Verse where the villain winds up in the newspaper Spider-Man strip and starts realizing that time is... funny there.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...kpdtvyqi8v.jpg

https://p.dreamwidth.org/fa9e4b0d358...014di57ssg.jpg
                    Actually, that was one of the bits that I did manage to catch. While Spider-Verse overall seemed rather tedious and overblown to me, there were some small moments where it allowed itself to be playful and clever.

Comment

• G'day,

The Phantom. After reading the final issue in the series #4 I'm convinced the current abomination is a result of copy right restrictions. The Ghost Who Walks is gone replaced by both the Girl-Phantom and Lothar-Phantom as well as Guran. Thereby utterly destroying the illusion of the supernatural.

Mandrake. The changed the artist in issue 3. The first fellow Jeremy Treece, work in issue two was confusing, I found the story hard to follow. The current artists are much more appropriate. The story is quite good so I'm glad.

Ralph

Comment

• Kings Quest begins in May : http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...es-kings-quest

Comment

• Yep, with the BS Phantom. Probably will give it a miss.

Originally posted by rasx View Post

Comment

• Let's drop this here for a bump.

Dynamite is bringing together the Earth’s defenders again – Flash Gordon, Mandrake the Magician, and The Phantom – in the all-new five-issue storyline, beginning with Flash Gordon #1. Co-written by superstar Jeff Parker (Future Quest) alongside the astounding team of co-writer/artist Jesse Hamm and colorist Grace Allison, Flash Gordon will pit the heroes against the classic villain: Ming the Merciless.

Flash Gordon #1 will be solicited in the September 2016 Previews catalog and slated for release in November.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07/...col_langridge/

Comment

• I think I'm sufficiently un-excited by what DE has done with the King characters so far that I'll trade-wait on this. I was super-interested when they first launched KING'S WATCH, and loved the follow-up FLASH GORDON solo series, but the King "event" thing with 5 miniseries pretty much killed the enthusiasm for me.

Comment

• G'day,

I have avoided the current Kings Quest series and glad I did. I have been told they decided to make Dale Arden a lesbian and the girl-Phantom is also that way inclined. Not interested

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                                I think I'm sufficiently un-excited by what DE has done with the King characters so far that I'll trade-wait on this. I was super-interested when they first launched KING'S WATCH, and loved the follow-up FLASH GORDON solo series, but the King "event" thing with 5 miniseries pretty much killed the enthusiasm for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X