Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The King Watch/Flash Gordon/Phantom/Mandrake MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash #3

Just wanted to drop in and say great job with Flash #3. I really like how each issue is capturing that episodic cliffhanger feel of the old Flash reels. Well done and keep up the good work.

Oh, and a Flash sub forum wouldn't go amiss.

Comment

Originally posted by Greystoke View Post
      Just wanted to drop in and say great job with Flash #3. I really like how each issue is capturing that episodic cliffhanger feel of the old Flash reels. Well done and keep up the good work.

Oh, and a Flash sub forum wouldn't go amiss.
      Thanks!

Wait'll you see issue 4.

-E

Comment

Flash Gordon Zeitgeist Continues to Astound with Issue 4!

I'm a bit late getting to the latest installment of Flash Gordon Zeitgeist, but now that I've read it, I wanted to come here to continue singing the praises of this series.

A page of repeated dialog aside, this issue continues what has been an exceptional take on a story already told several times, but told this time with fresh twists that well fit Alex Raymond's original intentions. I grew up with Dan Barry's Flash, own the Alex Raymond and Austin Briggs reprints, have copies of the serials and movie, have read everything else from Al Willamson's to Jim Keefe's takes, and if this series keeps up the quality, it's going to be a worthy successor to an outstanding body of work.

And if this excellent "cake" wasn't enough, there's the proverbial "icing" on it: Cameos on a two-page layout that slyly feature, but don't name, two other King Features heroes. What great entertainment!

Comment

I agree. I really liked this issue and really liked the cameo by Mandrake and the Phantom.

Comment

I think I'm going to give Flash Gordon his own sub forum here on the boards, he deseerves it

Anyhow, I agree that this series has been phenomenal and the writing and artwork have been spot on, great job by all!

Can't wait for issue #5!
            Dynamite Entertainment
            Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Man....these covers blow me away, as does the slick interior art and razor sharp writing! Again, Flash Gordon is another character I scoffed at much like I did with Green Hornet and Tarzan, but now I'm absolutely in love with Flash Gordon and will never miss an issue of this telling tale :-)

Comment

MERCILESS: The Rise of Ming #1 (spoiler-free)

When the original Flash Gordon comic strip began, Flash Gordon landed on Mongo and met Ming, emperor of the whole planet. In Merciless: The Rise of Ming, DE asks the logical question: Well, just how did he become emperor of the whole damn planet, anyway? As in other comics where the history and backstory of a long-established villain is explored, whole new dimensions and layers of characterization are added, making the character much more interesting than he ever was before. This is another winner, and a worthy companion title to the main series Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist. In many cases "spinoff" series are perceived as (or are in actuality) hastily slapped-together attempts to cash in on the popularity of the main series. Not so here. This title is easily as good as Flash Gordon -- and that's saying something, since I consider FG one of the half-dozen best titles DE has ever produced.
                DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                  When the original Flash Gordon comic strip began, Flash Gordon landed on Mongo and met Ming, emperor of the whole planet. In Merciless: The Rise of Ming, DE asks the logical question: Well, just how did he become emperor of the whole damn planet, anyway? As in other comics where the history and backstory of a long-established villain is explored, whole new dimensions and layers of characterization are added, making the character much more interesting than he ever was before. This is another winner, and a worthy companion title to the main series Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist. In many cases "spinoff" series are perceived as (or are in actuality) hastily slapped-together attempts to cash in on the popularity of the main series. Not so here. This title is easily as good as Flash Gordon -- and that's saying something, since I consider FG one of the half-dozen best titles DE has ever produced.
                  Yeah, Scott is doing a great job on Merciless. And I'll get him for it.

-E

Comment

OK I have not read Flash Gordon yet. I was thinking about it butt I typically like superhero/masked vigilante comics and I know that Flash is traditionally more of a space epic. Still with the news that Mandrake and Phantom make appearances I may pick this up since I would like to see a Dynamite/King universe established.

Comment

Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist #5

What an awesome issue and I truly applaud Dynamite for reprinting the page from the last issue that didn't have the proper dialogue, what a great way to support your readers! As for this issue, it was truly action personified with some amazing battle scenes and some awesome interactions between characters. I loved that Flash Gordon got his hands dirty and that Princess Aura is getting into the thick of things, she's an awesome character and maybe one of my current females appearing in a Dynamite comic, awesome job to the creative team for getting her involved! I can't wait to get issue #6 in my hands, it took a while for issue #5 to come out so I'm hoping that #6 comes on time as I really want to see where this is all going.

Comment

It was a pretty damn good issue indeed! The battle underwater with the Shark Men and the kiss shared between Flash and Aura were the highlights for me, I also liked the confrontation with Ming where he tried to get away. Really, it was all just so good and the best issue of FG:Z to date!
                        Dynamite Entertainment
                        Forum Administrator

Comment

FG:Z continues to maintain a near-perfect balancing act between offering something classic and retro, while still being a fresh cool updating of the characters and story. LOVING IT!!!!
                          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

I bought the first issue of this series and loved it, but I never kept on with it. I randomly bought this 5th issue just for kicks and absolutely loved it! The action was thunderous and the plot seemed great so I think I will go gran #2 through 4 next trip to the comic store. I didn't know what I was missing!

And yes, the art is damn good, I agree with that comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadster View Post
                              I bought the first issue of this series and loved it, but I never kept on with it. I randomly bought this 5th issue just for kicks and absolutely loved it! The action was thunderous and the plot seemed great so I think I will go gran #2 through 4 next trip to the comic store. I didn't know what I was missing!

I highly recommend it, my friend! If you loved all the action in issue #5 and the spectacular art on characters such as Ming, his daughter, the Lion-people, and the Shark-people, than you will love all the issues you're missing.

I've been recommending this book to all my friends as well as owners of the comic book stores in my area in hopes that more people will give it a chance, its been one hell of a surprise to me just how much I fell in love with this book.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadster View Post

Do it! This isn't your daddy's Flash Gordon we're talking here, his is a new age extreme re-imagining of the classic hero that's rocked my socks right off my feet.

Live it, read it, love it.
                                Dynamite Entertainment
                                Forum Administrator

Comment

Working...
                                X