Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The King Watch/Flash Gordon/Phantom/Mandrake MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by JoeMD View Post
    I agree, we need more info about what's coming up for the Ghost Who Walks.
    My guess is probably nothing this year. Since the solicits for November have already come out, that leaves Dynamite 1 month to do something for 2012. Heck I bout there is nothing planned for 2013. Thats just me being pessimistic. I have no way to say one way or another.

    Comment


    • #77
      The "To be concluded" is just referring to the opening story arc. Whatever's been solicited is still going to be on the horizon, fret ye not.

      Comment


      • #78
        There was definitely an interview I read with Nick B. a few months back where he talked about plans for an upcoming crossover of Flash Gordon, The Phantom, and Mandrake. He was vague about whether he was talking about a self-contained series or something that would take place within the title Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist. I do remember he categorically stated that they would not be calling this group of heroes "Defenders of the Earth". Wish I could remember where I read it, or what else Nick had to say about it. As I recall, it was part of a more general interview in which Nick talked about Dynamite's upcoming plans, so there weren't a lot of specifics. Still, it's confirmation that they are indeed planning to do it.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by Simon Bowland View Post
          The "To be concluded" is just referring to the opening story arc. Whatever's been solicited is still going to be on the horizon, fret ye not.
          Whew! That's a relief. Thanks, Simon. Well, you can understand that Flash Gordon readers are used to seeing the words "TO BE CONTINUED". Nothing is ever really "concluded" until it ends. I hope this version of Flash Gordon doesn't end for a good long time! It's been far too long before this since we've seen Flash and his friends starring in NEW stories.

          Now if only we could get some NEW Phantom and Mandrake the Magician stories from DE!
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by positronic View Post
            Whew! That's a relief. Thanks, Simon. Well, you can understand that Flash Gordon readers are used to seeing the words "TO BE CONTINUED". Nothing is ever really "concluded" until it ends. I hope this version of Flash Gordon doesn't end for a good long time! It's been far too long before this since we've seen Flash and his friends starring in NEW stories.

            Now if only we could get some NEW Phantom and Mandrake the Magician stories from DE!
            this comic is far to good to end now dude!!!!!

            Comment


            • #81
              I still can't get over just how tight the art in this series is, its some of my favorite art in all of comics at this point in time. Just look at the 2nd and 3rd pages where Flash is being tackled, its absolutely amazing as is the page where we see Dale Arden in her new get up, just amazing. The story has been grand scale too and this is one of DE's most underrated books bar none.
              Dynamite Entertainment
              Forum Administrator


              Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

              Comment


              • #82
                The lion dude and Gordon fighting was great, the writing was awesome, the art was perfect, and this book is the most underrated comic book on stands without a doubt. All I can say is thank you dynamite for this title, its truly amazing and full of everything that makes a comic good.

                Comment


                • #83
                  The crossovers I would really like to see are off course The Phantom VS Tarzan (Lord of the jungle) or The Phantom VS The Shadow. There's been a lot of fanart through the years depicting these encounters, so seeing official stories dedicated to the subjects would be really neat. But a Defenders "reunion", either with or without that name, could also be cooler than I like to admit, despite the cheesiness associated with the original cartoon.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by The Ghost Who Walks View Post
                    The crossovers I would really like to see are off course The Phantom VS Tarzan (Lord of the jungle) or The Phantom VS The Shadow. There's been a lot of fanart through the years depicting these encounters, so seeing official stories dedicated to the subjects would be really neat. But a Defenders "reunion", either with or without that name, could also be cooler than I like to admit, despite the cheesiness associated with the original cartoon.
                    Really? Where could one see some of this fan art? Have to admit that a Phantom vs Shadow crossover never entered my mind. Moonstone Books had a Phantom/Green Hornet crossover in one of their anthologies. Although I have always wondered what would have happened if he (or more likely, an earlier Phantom ancestor) ran into Tarzan. Yeah, they meet, they fight, they team up.

                    DC would probably never agree to it now, but I always wanted to see a Phantom/Batman crossover. It could have happened in the 1980s, when DC had the Phantom license, and Jim Aparo would have been the perfect artist to draw it.

                    I just always liked the concept of Defenders of the Earth, even if the execution was totally "Super Friends" (by way of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends). A lot of people would say these characters don't belong together, but to me that's the attraction of the idea. After all, when you get right down to it, Iron Man, Captain America and Thor are just as dissimilar (or Hulk, Sub-Mariner, and Dr. Strange). That sort of variety of characters is what makes superteams interesting. I can even see the idea of the sons and daughter of the characters working, as young people in training to carry on the legacies. At least it worked for the Justice Society for a while.

                    You know what's weird? Here on DE's forums, The Phantom gets grouped with Bionic Man, Voltron, and Army of Darkness, while Flash Gordon gets filed with "the pulps" (The Shadow, The Spider, and The Green Hornet). How is Flash Gordon "pulp" and The Phantom is not? Seems to me that if anything, it should be the other way around.
                    Last edited by positronic; 09-13-2012, 03:37 PM.
                    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      "The lion dude" = Prince Thun. (It is a statistical fact that Mongo has the highest per capita percentage of princes, princessess, kings, and queens of all the known planets. The average size of a kingdom is about the size of an 18-hole golf course on Earth.)
                      Last edited by positronic; 09-14-2012, 01:46 AM.
                      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        I tried to Google some of the fan art, but couldn't find any! Which is odd, since I've seen so many different pieces depicting Phantom and Shadow over the years.

                        Neither the Phantom or Flash should be considered pulp heroes, since they never appeared in pulps at all (at least Kit Walker didn't!).

                        In the Scandinavian Phantom comics, there was a wonderful story depicting the 19th Phantom's encounter with Edgar Rice Burroughs, when the former was accepted as a member of the Jungle Patrol! Obviously the Phantom "inspired" the creation of Tarzan that way, which is for some reason never mentioned in history books.

                        There's a part of me that loves the concept of Defenders, but there's also a part of me that detests the idea of the Phantom teaming up with anybody. The Phantom/Green Hornet thing was actually written by the great Harlan Ellison, and was intended as a real story. Instead, after nearly losing his mind trying to write the thing, he wrote a big essay on why the Phantom and GH should never meet, which amused me very much.

                        As for the Phantom and Batman, I remember somebody telling me a rumour that DC actually attempted a crossover in the early 90s, when they had the licence, though that might just be wishful thinking on behalf of over-excited fans. But it would have been a good way to increase sales of DC's hugely underrated Phantom series, I guess.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by The Ghost Who Walks View Post
                          Neither the Phantom or Flash should be considered pulp heroes, since they never appeared in pulps at all (at least Kit Walker didn't!).
                          Well, there was a single issue of Flash Gordon Strange Adventure Magazine. While I've never actually read the story, It's reportedly pretty unfaithful to the characters we know and love from Alex Raymond's (and Don Moore's) comic strip. Come to think of it, while Alex concentrated on his artwork so much he didn't have time to script the strip, I wonder if the strip might actually have been produced by the "Marvel method" (as it later became known), with Alex plotting as he drew (or discussing the general storyline with Moore beforehand), and turning over the finished art to Moore to dialogue. Perhaps we'll never know at this late date.

                          Then both Flash Gordon and The Phantom had a series of paperback novels in the 1970s. I think there were only four or five of the Flashes, but The Phantom had a pretty healthy run of 15 novels (and those were pretty pulpy, so does that count?) But don't get too hung up on DE's use of "pulp", it's just a catchall phrase (and The Green Hornet, although inspired, it would seem, in equal parts by The Shadow and The Lone Ranger, was never a pulp either!) Personally, I think I would use the descriptor "Classic Heroes" to include the pulp, radio, adventure comic strip, and Golden Age comic book characters that DE has published over the years. The only true pulp characters here are The Shadow, The Spider, and ERB's characters (and all except Warlord of Mars are relatively recent additions to DE's lineup). Zorro is a special case: the world's first true multi-media sensation where the additions and alterations to the character fed back into the original source. Although it's exactly this kind of thing that I abhor happening in comic books today, I must admit in this case that Zorro might be forgotten today if not for that. One only has to look at Johnson McCulley's The Curse of Capistrano to realize this.

                          Originally posted by The Ghost Who Walks View Post
                          In the Scandinavian Phantom comics, there was a wonderful story depicting the 19th Phantom's encounter with Edgar Rice Burroughs, when the former was accepted as a member of the Jungle Patrol! Obviously the Phantom "inspired" the creation of Tarzan that way, which is for some reason never mentioned in history books.
                          It's comforting to me to know that elsewhere in the world, the true greatness of the predecessors of Superman and Batman is appreciated with more perpective than in the United States. I recently discovered a website run by someone from India where a group effort is underway to scan (and post for downloading) many of the original strip storylines, and indigenous international stories, of The Phantom and Flash Gordon. They have even gone to the effort of "scanslating" the original word balloons into English. I feel a great boon has been bestowed on me to see some of these stories. I wasn't even aware that there was a (1990s I think) story where Flash Gordon teamed up with X-9/Corrigan! I am still looking for the one (just a cameo, I think) Phantom Sunday strip which appeared just as the Defenders of the Earth first debuted on TV, that had Flash and Mandrake & Lothar in it (are you familiar with that one?)

                          Originally posted by The Ghost Who Walks View Post
                          There's a part of me that loves the concept of Defenders, but there's also a part of me that detests the idea of the Phantom teaming up with anybody. The Phantom/Green Hornet thing was actually written by the great Harlan Ellison, and was intended as a real story. Instead, after nearly losing his mind trying to write the thing, he wrote a big essay on why the Phantom and GH should never meet, which amused me very much.
                          Have to admit that that doesn't seem like a natural crossover story (but then, neither does The Shadow) for The Phantom to me. To my mind at least, Doc Savage would work far better in a Phantom story (they are both international globetrotters). Or maybe, The Phantom vs. Fu Manchu??

                          Originally posted by The Ghost Who Walks View Post
                          As for the Phantom and Batman, I remember somebody telling me a rumour that DC actually attempted a crossover in the early 90s, when they had the licence, though that might just be wishful thinking on behalf of over-excited fans. But it would have been a good way to increase sales of DC's hugely underrated Phantom series, I guess.
                          Nick Barrucci admitted in a recent interview that one of the licencors of a property they wanted to include in the pulp mash-up MASKS demurred to have the character included. I have a strong suspicion he was talking about The Phantom. Darn the luck, foiled again!
                          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by positronic View Post
                            "The lion dude" = Prince Thun. (It is a statistical fact that Mongo has the highest per capita percentage of princes, princessess, kings, and queens of all the known planets. The average size of a kingdom is about the size of an 18-hole golf course on Earth.)
                            They do seem to have a suboptimal royal:subject ratio, yeah.

                            -E

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              This book is indeed underrated. I love the characters, set/costume designs, vehicles, props, plot...it's phenomenal! Alex Ross' art direction is amazing on both this title and MERCILESS. Dynamite has got a solid winner with their Flash Gordon license.

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by positronic View Post

                                Have to admit that that doesn't seem like a natural crossover story (but then, neither does The Shadow) for The Phantom to me. To my mind at least, Doc Savage would work far better in a Phantom story (they are both international globetrotters). Or maybe, The Phantom vs. Fu Manchu??



                                Nick Barrucci admitted in a recent interview that one of the licencors of a property they wanted to include in the pulp mash-up MASKS demurred to have the character included. I have a strong suspicion he was talking about The Phantom. Darn the luck, foiled again!
                                After years of seeing King Features lack of care for the character, I would not be surprised if this was the case. Now this is something that could actually have made the character reach a bigger US audience, but off course the guys at KF would have other ideas for him (i.e. not doing anything whatsoever with the licence).

                                I've read some of the Phantom novels you mention, and they're actually very good, especially the ones written by Lee Falk himself (they are fascinating because they show a much more mature side of the Phantom than Falk was allowed to show in newspaper strips, which were off course supposed to be a bit more family-friendly). Thinking about it, there were some things called Big Little Books featuring the Phantom and, I presume, Flash Gordon in the 30s and 40s. These were text books with some pictures, maybe they were considered to be pulps?

                                I also remember the DOTE appearing in the Phantom strip which you mention. It's basically a whole Sunday page of the Phantom falling asleep underneath a tree (in the middle of a story!), and dreaming about the future Phantom teaming up with Flash and Mandrake! Weird stuff, but quite amusing.

                                I like the idea of Kit Walker and Doc Savage. A quick Google search made me discover these wonderful pieces of fan-art:

                                http://www.dinosaurcentral.com/proto...Lost_World.jpg

                                http://www.majorspoilers.com/wp-cont..._scottygod.jpg

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X