Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The King Watch/Flash Gordon/Phantom/Mandrake MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Underrated isn't even the word, it's more like brutally ignored. Im bummed because i absolutely LOVE Flash Gordon: Zeitgist, but I feel like hardly anyone is reading it

It's so damn amazing, and the interior art is probably my favorite in comics ATM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTerror View Post
      probably my favorite in comics ATM.
      You know, there really should be comics ATMs. Insert your plastic card, punch in your PIN, and it dispenses comics like an automatic card shuffler.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by The Ghost Who Walks View Post
        I've read some of the Phantom novels you mention, and they're actually very good, especially the ones written by Lee Falk himself (they are fascinating because they show a much more mature side of the Phantom than Falk was allowed to show in newspaper strips, which were off course supposed to be a bit more family-friendly). Thinking about it, there were some things called Big Little Books featuring the Phantom and, I presume, Flash Gordon in the 30s and 40s. These were text books with some pictures, maybe they were considered to be pulps?
        There were quite a number of King Features characters who got their own Big Little Books (later known as Better Little Books), among them The Phantom, Flash Gordon, and Mandrake the Magician. Although there were a number of original stories written for Big Little Books, the vast majority of them were adaptations of strip continuity stories. The original strip art would be altered to remove any word balloons and captions, and there would be short line of descriptive type placed below the picture. All pictures ran on the right hand facing page, while a textual adaptation of the story was presented on the left hand facing pages. Whitman also published a larger (standard children's book size) variation called Big Big Books. One of these was The Son of The Phantom, which is the childhood and origin story of the 21st Phantom. The same basic text was later rewritten and expanded by Lee Falk for the first of the Avon Books Phantom paperback novels, The Story of The Phantom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Son of the Phantom.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	48670Click image for larger version

Name:	Story of the Phantom.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	48671
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
          You know, there really should be comics ATMs. Insert your plastic card, punch in your PIN, and it dispenses comics like an automatic card shuffler.
          ...that'd be so awesome.

-E

Comment

Originally posted by TheTerror View Post
            Underrated isn't even the word, it's more like brutally ignored. Im bummed because i absolutely LOVE Flash Gordon: Zeitgist, but I feel like hardly anyone is reading it

It's so damn amazing, and the interior art is probably my favorite in comics ATM.
            So tell people.

Mention it on message boards, or on Twitter, or whatever. More importantly, show it to your retailer and explain to him or her why you think it's a good book and why other customers might enjoy it.

Every little bit helps.

Glad you're enjoying it.

-E

Comment

Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist #7 (spoiler warning)

I'm surprised no one has commented on the wrap-up to the initial story arc. Great covers by Alex Ross and Francesco Francavilla (I bought both of them). A satisfying conclusion, but one that left me scratching my head over the final panel.

SPOILER WARNING!!
              The final panel shows Hitler about to commit suicide. Since Flash and company began their adventure to Mongo in 1934, I didn't get the impression that 10 years had passed for them in Dynamite's story. This would indicate that in Flash Gordon's world Hitler committed suicide in 1934/35, instead of 1945. Which means WWII as we know it never happened. Although of course, something just as huge occurred in 1934/35, with Mongo invading Earth and using Hitler as a proxy. In Alex Raymond's original strip continuity, WWII happened, of course, just as it was happening in the real world that was reading the Hearst newspapers. Now, Flash's universe was always been a parallel timeline, due to the presence of Mongo and its interaction with Earth beginning in the 1930s, but it would seem in Dynamite's continuity Earth's history is even more different, with Hitler committing suicide in 1935, so that the WWII we know never happened.
              Last edited by positronic; 11-17-2012, 04:36 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I have just read the entire series up until the latest issue again (I love doing that) and I think I enjoyed it even more this time around than the last few times I've done this. Issue #7 boasts the same great art as all the issues leading up to it and the ending was pretty interesting, personally I think the book would be much better without the Hitler influence and with more Aura and company.

Awesome stuff this month from Flash Gordon!

Comment

Whatever happened to MANDRAKE THE MAGICIAN?

This was announced as a DE title ages ago, but still nothing concrete as of Feb 2013 solicitations.

There was also supposed to be some sort of crossover title or event featuring Flash Gordon, The Phantom and Mandrake (it was announced by Nick B.), but no further word on that one, either.

Comment

And the follow up to The Last Phantom. Any news on that?

Comment

• I gather Mandrake has opened up a small boarding house in Chiswick.
                      And I think the last Phantom is now running a whelk stall.

Comment

• Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
                        I gather Mandrake has opened up a small boarding house in Chiswick.
                        And I think the last Phantom is now running a whelk stall.
                        Didn't Mandrake have some sort of magical mansion called Xanadu?

What's a whelk?

PS - Frankly I'd rather see any other Phantom but the Last.

Comment

• A whelk is a small, rubbery shellfish. They are sold as a delicacy from stalls in many British seaside towns. Along with cockles, mussells and jellied eels.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeM View Post
                            My guess is probably nothing this year. Since the solicits for November have already come out, that leaves Dynamite 1 month to do something for 2012. Heck I bout there is nothing planned for 2013. Thats just me being pessimistic. I have no way to say one way or another.
                            So, anyone have an inside scoop on what's happening with Mr. Walker in 2013?

I'm loving Shadow, Spider, Lord of the Jungle, Warlord of Mars, Peter Canon Thunderbolt, Flash Gordon, Ming the Merciless and excited to see what they do with Black Bat.
                            I feel that Phantom NEEDS to have a series to go with these other great books! And why hasn't there been a Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon crossover! WHY!

Comment

• Flash Gordon ending with #10

Its a bummer to see this book go, its been written and illustrated so well and some of these awesome characters have truly grown on me. Anyone else going to miss this title too?
                              Dynamite Entertainment
                              Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• I didn't know it was ending with issue 10
                                So another series gets mothballed just like The Phantom?
                                Sad

Comment

Working...
                                X