Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The King Watch/Flash Gordon/Phantom/Mandrake MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is a bummer. Other than The Spider, this was probably my favorite Dynamite title. (Which I guess has been replaced now by Masks). I hope Flash Gordon can come back some time soon, but have to admit that one of the big attractions of this series was the artwork by Daniel Indro.

You may have noticed that Dynamite didn't waste a second in re-assigning Daniel Indro to work on Mark Waid's GREEN HORNET. This is good news for Green Hornet fans, but disappointing news for Flash Gordon fans. If you're a fan of both like me, that makes it a half-empty/half-full kind of dichotomy.

That said, Nick B. had unofficially announced, a while back, some sort of crossover event featuring all of the King Features heroes (Flash Gordon, The Phantom, and Mandrake the Magician and Lothar). Don't know if that would have to wait first for a solo Mandrake series.

They already solicited the trade paperback for FG:Z, but I hope they can squeeze all 10 issues in, instead of the previously-announced #1-8.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• CEO/Publisher

MikeM/Comix1980/positronic,

Chiming in as there's some information you guys don't have and some misinformation. Flash Gordon #10 is the last issue of this run. That had a number of factors. While a great series, the sales numbers are not where they should be. Also, Daniel had been falling behind as he had a baby and other reasons. The book is also very late. To help catch up, we brought in Ron Adrian who did a FANTASTIC job on Rise of Ming, and it made sense to ask him to draw both #9 and #10 instead of just #9. This also allowed Daniel to get ahead on a new series and that became The Green Hornet.

Going to the Spider. I don't know if someone has been saying that it's cancelled or if that's just a perception, but The Spider #7 is in stores today on the same day as Masks #2. Please GET THE WORD OUT! ;-) And #8 is scheduled for January 23rd. The Spider is a great series, and I think that David Liss has written at least till #10. The way that this series may be cancelled is if sales are not where they should be at issue #12 orders.

If sales aren't where they need to be, then yes, series get cancelled. It's either that or publishers go out of business, and then series get cancelled.

And for some reason, some fans feel that we cancel serise willy nilly. That's ABSOLUETLY NOT the case. We have to face the fiscal realities to ensure that we pay writers and artists and that we can pay the bills. There have been too many companies out there who have screwed the writers, artists, colorists, letterers by continuing to publish books that do not sell.

And, we keep many series going for years. And years. As long as there is support, we can continue to publish them. Here's different examples. Red Sonja has been published for #72 issues and we're soliciting #79. That's a nice run, and we're continuing to publish Sonja. Army of Darkness has had multiple series and cross-overs, but we're still publishing the character. We love Ash, and he's been part of our line up since the beginning.

There are some series that have starts and re-starts, and many that continue. Sometimes you need to "re-jigger" a series to get a larger audience.

Flash Gordon is one of my favorite series. And I'm sorry that this story arc ends with #10. But Flash will be back in the cross-over, and will be part of the next cross-over and we are trying to figure out a way to relaunch him.

We need your support to do so. You're buying the series, and that's much appreciated. If you can get the word out via twitter, facebook, blogs, chat rooms, etc, that would be even better.

As a publisher, we want every series to last forever.

You, the fans, control if a series continues or not.

If you remember that, you can save your favorite comics.

Happy Holidays!

Nick

Comment

• For Nick B.

Originally posted by nickybdynamite View Post
        MikeM/Comix1980/positronic,

Chiming in as there's some information you guys don't have and some misinformation. Flash Gordon #10 is the last issue of this run. That had a number of factors. While a great series, the sales numbers are not where they should be. Also, Daniel had been falling behind as he had a baby and other reasons. The book is also very late. To help catch up, we brought in Ron Adrian who did a FANTASTIC job on Rise of Ming, and it made sense to ask him to draw both #9 and #10 instead of just #9. This also allowed Daniel to get ahead on a new series and that became The Green Hornet.

Going to the Spider. I don't know if someone has been saying that it's cancelled or if that's just a perception, but The Spider #7 is in stores today on the same day as Masks #2. Please GET THE WORD OUT! ;-) And #8 is scheduled for January 23rd. The Spider is a great series, and I think that David Liss has written at least till #10. The way that this series may be cancelled is if sales are not where they should be at issue #12 orders.

If sales aren't where they need to be, then yes, series get cancelled. It's either that or publishers go out of business, and then series get cancelled.

And for some reason, some fans feel that we cancel serise willy nilly. That's ABSOLUETLY NOT the case. We have to face the fiscal realities to ensure that we pay writers and artists and that we can pay the bills. There have been too many companies out there who have screwed the writers, artists, colorists, letterers by continuing to publish books that do not sell.

And, we keep many series going for years. And years. As long as there is support, we can continue to publish them. Here's different examples. Red Sonja has been published for #72 issues and we're soliciting #79. That's a nice run, and we're continuing to publish Sonja. Army of Darkness has had multiple series and cross-overs, but we're still publishing the character. We love Ash, and he's been part of our line up since the beginning.

There are some series that have starts and re-starts, and many that continue. Sometimes you need to "re-jigger" a series to get a larger audience.

Flash Gordon is one of my favorite series. And I'm sorry that this story arc ends with #10. But Flash will be back in the cross-over, and will be part of the next cross-over and we are trying to figure out a way to relaunch him.

We need your support to do so. You're buying the series, and that's much appreciated. If you can get the word out via twitter, facebook, blogs, chat rooms, etc, that would be even better.

As a publisher, we want every series to last forever.

You, the fans, control if a series continues or not.

If you remember that, you can save your favorite comics.

Happy Holidays!

Nick
        The problem with saying "we" control what books we want Dynamite to publish is that "we" are the ones buying them, hence why we are all here. It's convincing other comic fans to give these books a shot that is the hard part. I am now scared that The Spider is going to get cancelled based on what you said, which sucks because it's literally my 2nd favorite comic book on store shelves next to Harbinger by Valiant (which is my current favorite), and I've invested a lot of time and money into the Dynamite pulp line and now I'm afraid that Dynamite will cancel it all because their expectations are higher than maybe they should be. According to ComicChron The Spider is doing okay with about 7k copies ordered, that's not a grand slam or anything especially since The Shadow is double that in orders, but it's still good for an indy book. I personally can't do much to spread the word, I've written blogs in support of Dynamite's pulp line (I have 5k monthly readers), I've talked about the line to friends, and I've recommended it to people in the stores, but it's up to them to buy the books and I feel like I've done my part. Now it's just a matter of sitting back and waiting for my favorite books to get cancelled.

Advertising would help, I don't see Dynamite advertise a whole lot anymore and I'm not talking about a blurb in Previews magazine either.

Comment

• Hi Nick.

(Get Doc Savage please)

I realise that you have to cancel a series if its not making you money. It just a bummer that a lot of the books that I really, really enjoy get cancelled because of a lack of readership. I am surprised to hear about the Spider, since myself and all my local comic collecting friends get it. Mr. Liss is amazing.

(Get Doc Savage please)

I was saddened to see Phantom cancelled as Kit Walker is one of my favourite characters.

(Get Doc Savage please)

I collect a majority of your comics. In fact, I now get more Dynamite comics than I do Marvel or DC. The Lone Ranger books are my favourites. I buy the monthlies and also buy a copy of the trades!

I am glad to hear that Flash Gordon may come back with a new series.

You folks have really done a great job with the pulp characters and would love to see that trend continue. Masks must be doing well. It's an amazing book and I will push it more on my facebook account.

(Get Doc Savage please)

Happy Holidays, sir and thank you for all the great comics.

MikeM

PS - Get Doc Savage please.

Comment

• CEO/Publisher

Manga 4 Life

I'm up for advertising anywhere we can and it helps sales. Shoot me over some suggestions of where to advertise to get sales. I want this series to continue to #120 and beyond. The series should outlive me.

And you're getting the word out is great. AND appreciated. We need everyone to get the word out like you do. The more readers the better for all.

Thank you,

Nick

Comment

• CEO/Publisher

Mike M,

I'm hoping that the Spider outlives us all. It's a great series. Your and your retailer support Rocks! Here's to hoping we get more on board!

best!

Nick

Comment

• Hey, Nick!

I don't know if you saw but the other day we kicked off a huge #PulpComics event on Twitter where we got fans to use the hashtag of #pulpcomics to talk about their favorite pulp books from Dynamite. It was fun and a lot of people tweeted and got involved while replying to @DynamiteComics, actually, we ended up getting over 30+ new followers after the event was over which is always a good sign.

If you need me to help, I'm always here for ya'!
                Dynamite Entertainment
                Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• NOOOOOOOOOOO! This always freakin happens with dynamite titles, I love these books and then they get cancelled. if Spider is cancelled than I'm done and gone from dynamite for good.

Comment

• CEO/Publisher

Mike M - you are the best! Perhaps we can give away a special variant in a promotion to help bring in more readers! And do you shoot off the digital links? Digital readers help as well!

The Terror - I hate to break this to you, but you're doing more harm than good. You're actually encouraging fans to drop the book because it's assume it will be cancelled. What I said was that sales would be the final factor regardless how great a book is. Otherwise, we'll go out of business and there still won't be a book. Please re-read the post. I used it as an example because fans were complaining that Colton was not drawing the book. And Ivan is doing a great job, but again, fans complaining that they didn't know that Colton was not drawing when it's in Previews, on our website, and on other news sites before the book is ordered. And some fans keep saying the same thing. That Dynamite cancels books arbitrally (sp?). If we cancelled everything, we wouldn't be in business either. And we have some books that have had HUGE runs. Look at Red Sonja. 72 issues in stores and we're soliciting #79. Vampirella is up to issue #25. Army of Darkness has been multiple series and cross-overs, and at a guess we've released over 40 issues.

You're saying that we're cancelling when we think it's going to keep going, but I'm not making any promises I can't keep. It's really that cut and dry.

I hope you keep buying. But if you want to quit because a book might get cancelled or quit our entire line because a book does get cancelled, then it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Best!

Nick

Comment

• Nick, I think what Terror meant was that every time he jumps onto a series from Dynamite it get's the axe. Which isn't that far from the truth since I've really enjoyed the current Green Hornet which is ending soon and I totally loved the Kirby-verse and past PSP titles like Black Terror, all of which have seen their last issues. I totally get what your saying, but it is a little discouraging when you hop onto multiple books by a single company just to have them end up cancelled.

Either which way, I'll continue to write blogs in support of the books, I'll continue to promote locally and online, and I'll continue to support the titles I do read......however it will be in constant fear that these titles won't last for the long-term.

EDIT: Also, "MikeM is the best"? I think you meant to compliment the forum admin for his efforts on Twitter (of which I helped on my Twitter - see sig).

Comment

• CEO/Publisher

Manga4life,

Again, thank you. I want to add in something. Green Hornet is not cancelled. The series is behind and we'll skipping two months to get the series back on track. The name will be tweaked slightly to allow Mark Waid's Green Hornet to be the lead title, but the current monthly Green Hornet is not cancelled.

Please feel free to start a new thread letting fans know.

best!

Nick

Comment

• CEO/Publisher

Oh, and Black Terror will be back!

How and when, well, only the Terror knows! (Black Terror ;-)

I would tell you, but then, some fans would lose interest. The build up will be cool!

TKC!

Best!

Nick

Comment

• Originally posted by nickybdynamite View Post
                            fans complaining that they didn't know that Colton was not drawing when it's in Previews, on our website, and on other news sites before the book is ordered. And some fans keep saying the same thing.
                            Nobody said the solicitation was wrong. Have you looked at the cover of #7 ? And the cover images for issues #8 and #9 that were posted online with the solicitation? Colton's name is on the cover above the logo. Ivan's is not. That would definitely give the impression to those just grabbing the book off the rack (or those who couldn't remember what the solicitation said 3 months ago) that Colton's art was inside the book, if they didn't bother to skim the book itself before paying for it. Am I wrong?

This is NOT a slam against Ivan. I'm sure he has nothing to do with the cover layout (but would probably rather see his name up there). But it does sort of leave the impression that at Dynamite the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. It might not be too late to fix the cover of #8 and 9 before they go to the printer. Pretty simple to cut out "Colton Worley" and replace it with "Ivan Rodriguez" in Photoshop. Or if coordinating the cover credits (when the covers are created far in advance of the actual comic) is too complicated, just leave the names off and you'll never be wrong.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TNSpider07CovFrancavilla.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	48714Click image for larger version

Name:	TNSpider08CovFrancavilla.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	48715
                            Last edited by positronic; 12-24-2012, 10:00 PM.
                            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Green Hornet NOT CANCELLED!?!? YES! I was hoping that the current series would continue on, I'm loving Britt Reid Jr. and I was hoping to still be able to pick up this series when the new series comes out, which i'll be getting too. Also, I'm bummed that Flash Gordon is ending with issue #10, I wonder if Dynamite has future plans for him in the future as a part of another series or with a new title or something? Either way, Flash Gordon is and was a fantastic series.

Comment

• That's a shame. I've really been enjoying FLASH GORDON.

Comment

Working...
                                X