Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The King Watch/Flash Gordon/Phantom/Mandrake MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Barruci, can I ask if is there a particular reason why the Phantom isn't included in the Pulp line? Sure, he's not pure pulp, but neither the Green Hornet or Zorro are.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeM View Post
      So, anyone have an inside scoop on what's happening with Mr. Walker in 2013?

I'm loving Shadow, Spider, Lord of the Jungle, Warlord of Mars, Peter Canon Thunderbolt, Flash Gordon, Ming the Merciless and excited to see what they do with Black Bat.
      I feel that Phantom NEEDS to have a series to go with these other great books! And why hasn't there been a Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon crossover! WHY!

Well, you and I and other people on this forum love those characters. We just have to convince the rest of the ignoramuses out there to buy them, so we can continue reading them.

Wow, how many years has it been now since DE published Buck Rogers? Hermes Press claims it will be coming out with a new version by Howard Chaykin.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• I really didn't like Dynamite's THE LAST PHANTOM.

REALLY didn't.

And it's a shame...I love the character, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsRollKato View Post
          I really didn't like Dynamite's THE LAST PHANTOM.

REALLY didn't.

And it's a shame...I love the character, too.
          Ditto, ditto, and DITTO.

I feel like they gave up too soon. They've given us multiple versions of Green Hornet, Vampirella, etc., so why not another version of The Phantom? If EVER there was a character with the justification for multiple versions built in, it's The Phantom. Why not a The Phantom Chronicles series with a different Phantom every story arc, with 500 years of history to set it all in? Or just the straight-ahead 1930s/1940s pulp hero version, taking him right back to his roots?
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Flash Gordon has been great, sorry to see it ending.

Comment

• You know...I keep telling friends/people on message boards etc. how good FLASH GORDON and Dynamite's other books are (the ones I read, anyway...) and how wonderfully they handle classic characters but people just aren't biting.

I'm not sure why that is. Over-saturation from the "Big Two" perhaps? Lack of interest in the characters, maybe? I just don't know what it is. It's a damned shame.

I'll continue trying, though, as long as you guys keep putting out quality.

Comment

• Flash Gordon question??

What's the Difference between Definitive Flash Gordon and

Flash Gordon: On the Planet Mongo: The Complete Flash Gordon Library 1934-37 (Complete Flash Gordon Libr 1) by Alex Raymond??

Comment

• Originally posted by magnoanddavey View Post
                  What's the Difference between Definitive Flash Gordon and

Flash Gordon: On the Planet Mongo: The Complete Flash Gordon Library 1934-37 (Complete Flash Gordon Libr 1) by Alex Raymond??
                  The Definitive Flash Gordon and Jungle Jim. The difference is the size of the pages and Jungle Jim, which the Checker Books (and earlier Kitchen Sink Press) collections didn't have.

I bought the whole Alex Raymond run of the strip back when Kitchen Sink Press issued them in hardcover. If I hadn't, and I was buying them for the first time today, I'd go with the IDW reprints rather than the Checker Books reprints.
                  Last edited by positronic; 02-04-2013, 07:27 AM.

Comment

You know...I keep telling friends/people on message boards etc. how good FLASH GORDON and Dynamite's other books are (the ones I read, anyway...) and how wonderfully they handle classic characters but people just aren't biting.

I'm not sure why that is. Over-saturation from the "Big Two" perhaps? Lack of interest in the characters, maybe? I just don't know what it is. It's a damned shame.

I'll say what it is about a lot of these that doesn't appeal to me personally, it's the tone and voice. For the most part these pulp comics seem to be going for a very straightforward, almost humorless tone. For example, I dig noir stuff and whatnot with the kind with dark humor and a sardonic quality to the narration, Sunset Blvd style, Double Indemnity, Murder My Sweet, etc. It seems every starring character in these books is completely serious and well kind of humorless, with The Spider, The Shadow, perhaps the upcoming Miss Fury from what the preview says, there's a bit less variety in character and tone than one might want. It's all 100% straightforward, or at least so it seems to me.

Oddly enough, say G.I. Joe's Cobra starring Chuckles provided more of the hard-boiled noir flavor and character I'd like than Dynamite books have so far. Not that pulp and noir are the same thing, and this doesn't apply to Flash Gordon. Just an example, in general I'd like to see more variety in tone and character in Dynamite's pulp stuff. I also wanna say that these Dynamite books all feel more plot driven than character driven, which to me is a downside. Plus it just seems that to keep it in line with the 30s/40s stuff, it's all very earnest, straightforward, and almost unstylized. That can feel flat or unappealing to some tastes.

Plus even though I love much of Mark Waid's work, and I'll give his Green Hornet a look, that doesn't necessarily sound appealing to me either. His inspiration is Citizen Kane, and he's going for a story of a newspaper mogul with too much power and ego who loses somehow and learns from it. Could be a good story... but not fun, and not what I'm looking for in Green Hornet. Will give it a look, but just saying, I almost want to use the word "stuffy" to describe how I feel about some of these comics.

Also though this is the Flash Gordon topic, I'm talking more about the pulp vigilante titles. I'm sure Flash does have a different feel from those. Though from previews Flash does also look a bit too straightforward to me, very plot focused, without necessarily a lot to grab onto for me. And the previews are mostly people with gritted teeth fighting and lots of exposition etc. Which could describe a lot of what Dynamite does.

Not hating, and we all have different taste, just giving another perspective since it was brought up. In a nutshell, I think if Dynamite's pulp line had more variety in tone, style, and voice these would appeal to more people.
                    Last edited by Psionic_Lemmy; 02-04-2013, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Psionic_Lemmy View Post
                      I'll say what it is about a lot of these that doesn't appeal to me personally, it's the tone and voice. For the most part these pulp comics seem to be going for a very straightforward, almost humorless tone. For example, I dig noir stuff and whatnot with the kind with dark humor and a sardonic quality to the narration, Sunset Blvd style, Double Indemnity, Murder My Sweet, etc. It seems every starring character in these books is completely serious and well kind of humorless, with The Spider, The Shadow, perhaps the upcoming Miss Fury from what the preview says, there's a bit less variety in character and tone than one might want. It's all 100% straightforward, or at least so it seems to me.

Oddly enough, say G.I. Joe's Cobra starring Chuckles provided more of the hard-boiled noir flavor and character I'd like than Dynamite books have so far. Not that pulp and noir are the same thing, and this doesn't apply to Flash Gordon. Just an example, in general I'd like to see more variety in tone and character in Dynamite's pulp stuff. I also wanna say that these Dynamite books all feel more plot driven than character driven, which to me is a downside. Plus it just seems that to keep it in line with the 30s/40s stuff, it's all very earnest, straightforward, and almost unstylized. That can feel flat or unappealing to some tastes.

Plus even though I love much of Mark Waid's work, and I'll give his Green Hornet a look, that doesn't necessarily sound appealing to me either. His inspiration is Citizen Kane, and he's going for a story of a newspaper mogul with too much power and ego who loses somehow and learns from it. Could be a good story... but not fun, and not what I'm looking for in Green Hornet. Will give it a look, but just saying, I almost want to use the word "stuffy" to describe how I feel about some of these comics.

Also though this is the Flash Gordon topic, I'm talking more about the pulp vigilante titles. I'm sure Flash does have a different feel from those. Though from previews Flash does also look a bit too straightforward to me, very plot focused, without necessarily a lot to grab onto for me. And the previews are mostly people with gritted teeth fighting and lots of exposition etc. Which could describe a lot of what Dynamite does.

Not hating, and we all have different taste, just giving another perspective since it was brought up. In a nutshell, I think if Dynamite's pulp line had more variety in tone, style, and voice these would appeal to more people.
                      You didn't read Flash Gordon Zeitgeist did you? This is probably the best story/art/feel for the character that I have ever personally experienced. My only issue is the delay in the books from time to time, as they have been stellar.

As to plot driven, I am not really sure where you are going with this, if you want the 1940's version's, I am sure they are available in reprint/elsewhere, but I doubt that type of storytelling would have broad enough appeal or enough staying power to last. How many stories could a modern day writer get out of such constraints? That is not to say the updated versions are alway's winners, but I think there are more hits than misses.

You can make the same comparison though for any of the Golden/Silver Age characters being trotted out by DC/Marvel, and how they are told today versus their original voice, so I am not sure that it is a valid criticism, more whether or not a book is to your personal taste, which is an entirely different conversation.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbolt View Post
                        You didn't read Flash Gordon Zeitgeist did you? This is probably the best story/art/feel for the character that I have ever personally experienced. My only issue is the delay in the books from time to time, as they have been stellar.

As to plot driven, I am not really sure where you are going with this, if you want the 1940's version's, I am sure they are available in reprint/elsewhere, but I doubt that type of storytelling would have broad enough appeal or enough staying power to last. How many stories could a modern day writer get out of such constraints? That is not to say the updated versions are alway's winners, but I think there are more hits than misses.

You can make the same comparison though for any of the Golden/Silver Age characters being trotted out by DC/Marvel, and how they are told today versus their original voice, so I am not sure that it is a valid criticism, more whether or not a book is to your personal taste, which is an entirely different conversation.
                        I'm mostly talking about the other pulp books since this topic ended up being a general discussion, I've only read the previews for Flash Gordon. Also I'm not saying I want these books to be more like their 40s originals, I actually would like them to be updated and have a fresh feel. What I mean by plot driven is that these pulp Dynamite books I've read all seem to be largely event leading to event and exposition explaining the plot. It's less character driven than I'd like, it often doesn't feel so much like we're invested in and watching these character's live their lives. It kinda feels like a lot of these books are going from beat to beat without really examining why we care about it, something like that.

But definitely, it's all personal taste.
                        Last edited by Psionic_Lemmy; 02-05-2013, 11:28 AM.

Comment

You know...I keep telling friends/people on message boards etc. how good FLASH GORDON and Dynamite's other books are (the ones I read, anyway...) and how wonderfully they handle classic characters but people just aren't biting.

Honestly, I think the wider readership has largely forgotten Flash Gordon. Anecdotally, in my wife's shop, younger readers (and even a lot of older readers) think it's a new DC Flash title. The most successful incarnation of the character, for good or ill, is the 1980 film, so there's that hurdle to overcome as well. "Pulp" generally appeals to a smaller subsection of comic readers, which is in turn a smaller subsection of the general public.

So, y'know. We just make the best book we can and hope for the best. Sometimes it sticks, sometimes not.

The beauty of comics is that there's always something new to try.

-E

Comment

• Flash Gordon ending.

I'm behind on the news and only read today that Flash Gordon is ending or has already ended. I picked up the first three issues I could find last year and found that the mixture of classic Flash Gordon with a heavy visual aesthetic of the 80s film mixed with the intelligent writing and consuming storyline had me grabbing up each issue every time I was near the local comic store.

Fans of amazing Science Fiction are familiar with the experience of being left to wonder why a spectacular work is either pulled, left on hold, or put to the side to take a breath. Anybody remember Firefly?

Flash Gordon Zeitgeist with the in depth and engaging story combined with vivid and captivating imagery presented on every page is the perfect telling of a Flash Gordon story. While I'm shocked that it's ending with only two issues left for me to read, it's story is unique enough in a familiar setting to stand alone as the template for Flash Gordon of this generation.

The Flash of the last generation had Max Von Sydow and Topol in it with the background music entirely performed by Queen and in my amateur opinion Flash Gordon Zeitgeist has been the natural successor to even that.

Flash Gordon Zeitgeist was also my first experience reading a Dynamite Comics title. Even with Gordon gone, I am looking forward to read other titles starting with Voltron and the Black Bat (after I grab last two Flash Gordon Comics) this weekend. As a lifelong Sci-Fi fan, I appreciate you bringing Flash Gordon Zeitgeist to the stands even in a limited run.

Thanks for reading!

Comment

• Honestly, before this series I didn't give a rat's A$$ about Flash Gordon but after giving this series a shot I fell in love with it and really loved keeping up with it until it's early demise. It's a shame that this book never truly found it's audience, it was full of so many great characters and the art and story were so well done, one can only hope Flash will return to Dynamite in a new title eventually.

Comment

• Originally posted by manga4life View Post
                                Honestly, before this series I didn't give a rat's A$$ about Flash Gordon...
                                Felt the same about Buck Rogers, but bought the first volume and enjoyed it quite a bit.

So...Can Dynamite have a Masks-like project to give some of these other properties a shot in the arm? We had Prophecy for some of the more fantasy-based characters...

Comment

Working...
                                X