The Spider series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nickybdynamite View Post
    And again, Black Terror is in Masks for a reason. Fans will find out why a bit after the series is over.
    Thanks, (St.) Nick! You have truly brought joy to all the good little boys and girls! Merry (Project Superpowers) X-Mas!!!!

You changed my to a
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Hey Nick,

Just wondering...when you say that The Spider is scheduled till issue #12 pending sales, what exactly are you looking for in sales? If it continues at current sales numbers will it go on? Will it need to grow in sales? Are you looking for it to perform on par with The Shadow? Just curious.

I think the fan knee jerk reaction to even the thought of a series getting canceled is ridiculous. If The Spider is canceled, would I miss it? Of course I would. Would I stop buying The Shadow, Masks, Green Hornet, etc out of some sort of spite? Of course not! This reaction is so ludicrous to me. Why deprive yourself of more comics that you love because you lost one comic that you love? Who are you really hurting there? What do you realistically expect to achieve by it? It is completely illogical.

Comment

• Great stuff Manga, keep it up!

Comment

• I would never leave Dynamite because they cancel just one book I read, but I can see why Terror is so upset since it seems to be every book he get's into. I too was heavily into Project Superpowers, Black Terror, all the Kirby titles, Phantom, Zorro, Flash Gordon and other Dynamite books that ended up getting canned and it is frusterating because it seems like you finally find something you love just to have it taken away from you. It can be very upsetting and it puts a big into your brain that it could happen to anything your reading from Dynamite so you almost begin reading these books with a bit of fear. I know that business is business but it just seems to be excessive with Dynamite. I'm still here though and spend an average of $24 a month on Dynamite books.

Comment

• All,

Being overally candid, if we can sell where sales are at for issue #5, the Spider can continue without an issue just as Jennifer Blood has and others have.

best!

Nick

Comment

• CEO/Publisher

Guys,

In other words, yes, current sales keep us in the game. If we can lift some, well, that would be great. David and Colton have a beautiful run that's completed and going in to TPB, and David and Ivan are also doing their story that I think you'll love. David is writing #10, probably #11 now, and Ivan is catching up.

Let's all keep the Spider going. It's a great series.

Thank you,

Nick

Comment

• Nick,

I happy to hear that there are no plans to cancel The Spider.
                I'm very bias since he is my favorite character, both in the original pulps and in newer versions.
                It is my intent to fully support this title as much as possible. In addition, because of the Spider, I've gotten into The Shadow, Masks, and plan on picking up the new Green Hornet.
                As a fan of pulps I believe that Dynamite is doing a much better job then Moonstone in keeping these characters on the shelf and in public interest.

Comment

• I loved The Spider #7. I can't believe he slept with his friends wife, even though she is his ex and they both thought he was dead.....I just couldn't believe it and I'm wondering what will come of that (if anything). Also, I'm kind of glad he was able to find the answer on how to bring his friend back from the (not so) dead, this story-arc is off to a thrilling start and I can't wait to see where this all goes, hopefully the payoff is good. Also, I just wanted to add that Ivan Rodriguez draws The Spider pretty damn good, his take on the character is pretty damn solid and I hope he's on this book for a good long time to come, unless Jonathan Lau want's a piece of The Spider.

Comment

• I got a copy on order, ships on Jan 8.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kane View Post
                      As a fan of pulps I believe that Dynamite is doing a much better job then Moonstone in keeping these characters on the shelf and in public interest.
                      Except for the prose anthologies and reprint collections of their earlier stuff, Moonstone's production seems to be slowly grinding to a halt. There's barely a trickle of actual comic books these days. Too bad. I really wanted to see that Moonstone Pulp Fiction Magazine.

Then again, all their best characters get scooped up by other companies. Dynamite got The Phantom and then The Spider, Antarctic Press got Airboy, Dark Horse got Captain Midnight. That doesn't seem to affect them putting out the prose anthologies (they just came out with another Green Hornet anthology a couple months ago), but it kills their comics. I'm shocked that Dynamite hasn't scooped the public domain Domino Lady yet, since this seems right up their alley for both pulp characters and sexy female heroes.
                      Last edited by positronic; 12-27-2012, 03:35 PM.
                      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Originally posted by manga4life View Post
                        unless Jonathan Lau want's a piece of The Spider.
                        Good lord, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Last edited by positronic; 12-27-2012, 12:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
                          Good lord, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Why not? Lau is an awesome artist and one of the brightest spots in Dynamite's camp, I wouldn't mind seeing his take on The Spider.

Comment

• Originally posted by manga4life View Post
                            Why not?
                            Because then I'd have to quit reading the book? I liked him all right at first, but with each successive issue (and there have been too many of them) he wore out his welcome a little bit with me. Now I'm just sick of him. Put him on Evil Ernie or something else I don't care about.

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
                              Because then I'd have to quit reading the book? I liked him all right at first, but with each successive issue (and there have been too many of them) he wore out his welcome a little bit with me. Now I'm just sick of him. Put him on Evil Ernie or something else I don't care about.
                              I like him, his work on Peter Cannon is nothing short of stellar & having him take a shot at The Spider would be great. Saying that however, Ivan Rodriguez is doing a fantastic job at the moment so I'm quite happy.

Comment

• I'm a huge fan of Lau's work, but to each their own I suppose. I think he's a wonderful artist and he's done great on almost every project he's ever been on. But in loving what Ivan has been doing do far, its been good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X