No announcement yet.

The Spider series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Spider looked different in issue #8. I mean different from the Ivan Rodriguez artwork in the previous issue (which I really liked, while I like the artwork in this issue somewhat less). I suspect there may have been different inkers involved, but I'll have to pull out the issues and check.

Loving Aaron Campbell's art on The Shadow. Still less than happy with the writing. I've begrudgingly accepted the mystical abilities, but the dialogue keeps taking me out of the story by having people speak in ways people from the 1930s would never speak. There's a lack of subtlety to the way the mystical abilities are handled, with people blithely commenting on The Shadow's "powers" as if that were a thing that people in the 1930s were familiar with and talked about. No, it comes off as dialogue written by a role-playing gamer or comic book fan, as if they were consulting a gaming table of stats or a Marvel Universe Handbook. There was another line of dialogue about "costumes" during the battle between the Shadow and Black Sparrow that was totally anachronistic for the 1930s. Hoping for better in this department when Chris Roberson takes over the writing reins from Victor Gischler in issue #13.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Eh, that kind if stuff doesn't bother me really, its a comic book I'm reading here.....not a great American novel. I try not to let things like that brother me too much but there are times when it does, but its no biggie. I actually really loved the story in issue #9 of The Shadow and can't wait to see some more Black Sparrow, she is a very interesting character to me.

Comment

• The Shadow #9.......I just read through it again and I think this may just be my favorite issue to date.

The Spider #8.......A great issue, but not my favorite of the series. I loved the shocking ending......that will sit with fans for a while.

Great stories coming out of the pulp books, can't wait for more!
        Dynamite Entertainment
        Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• The ending of Spider #9 was a shocker and I'm hoping she does not pull the trigger.

Comment

• Well, we know who Nita actually does love now and I'm scratching at the bit to see what happens at the start of issue #9 of The Shadow.

Line of the month was when the villain called the girl a "slag", that's always been one of my favorite words......lol.

Comment

• The Spider #9

So, what did you guys think of The Spider #9? The art was great as it has been and I felt the story was fun too, esecially the scene of The Spider busting through the window and disarming his opponent, great stuff. The ending promotion for the next issue says "a new enemy rises" or something to that effect, I really look forward to seeing who this new enemy is and can't wait to see the saga of The Spider unfold, I love this freakin' book to death.

At least Nita didn't kill Wentworth, lol. "I love you too and want to kill you too honey."

Comment

• The ending was what got me, the guy who's been hunting The Spider now has the video taped confession from Nita and will probably use it in the next issue. As for this issue, it was pretty damn stellar and I really liked how the story flowed nicely from the previous issue. The Spider is awesome and this whole love triangle is about to take center stage, all hell should be breaking loose. Hehe.
                Dynamite Entertainment
                Forum Administrator

Comment

• Very good issue. Still one of my favorite comics.

Comment

• Yeah, the ending to this issue leaves open so many doors for an awesome altercation between Wentworth and the commish as well as Nita possibly going to Wentworth for love that I'm excited to see what comes of this. Now that the video taped confession is out there I can only guess that the commish with find out soon and all kinds of crazy things will spawn from it.

Comment

• It was an awesome issue, maybe my favorite yet! the ending was a huge hook and cliff hanger and the way he got to the Hater was epic.

Comment

• Okay, now I'm worried....

After reading through The Spider #9 once again I decided to read through my Previews magazine and noticed that the information said that we'd be reaching a "stunning conclusion". Now, I'm hoping to the stars that this means a conclusion to a storyline that will be starting up in the next issue or two and not the conclusion to the series. As many have mentioned before both on here, on CBR, and on Twitter that they DO NOT want to see The Spider cancelled and if DE is truly doing to cancel the book than I find it a slap in the face to their readers who have been extremely vocal about not seeing this book die. Seriously, I'm a bit scared.

Comment

• A bit nervous after reading the solicitation in the latest Previews magazine.....

They mention the words "conclusion"....

Comment

• But what can you do? Besides using it as an excuse to quit reading Dynamite titles altogether. As if that will teach 'em a lesson. You're tilting at windmills, Don Quixote. The only thing that's permanent is change. Everything dies eventually.

Or get together with a group of like-minded readers to pool your resources and order 5000 copies from Diamond...
                            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• I'm just glad we had this time together. I'll cherish the moments.

Comment

• Even I would be upset at Dynamite if they cancelled The Spider after all the fan backlash at just even the thought. The solicitation could just be a conclusion to a story arc, issue #13 could be in the works still.
                                Dynamite Entertainment
                                Forum Administrator

Comment

Working...
                                X