The Spider series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Spider's Cancellation?

While I hope The Spider will not be canceled, there is a possible silver lining to this dark cloud. I have enjoyed the book very much. However, I feel it was a mistake to attempt to modernize the character. The Spider belongs in the 1930s, not 2013. If the current incarnation is ending maybe, just maybe, Dynamite could relaunch The Spider in his 1930s millieu. Anybody agree with this idea?

Comment

• After you've been collecting comics for a few decades, you'll find that if you separate them into two piles, the "ongoing" and the "cancelled", that the cancelled pile is many times larger. Try to think of them as rare orchids that bloom ever so briefly and beautifully, only to wither and decay into nothingness. Sooner or later, another just as beautiful will come along, although it will never replace the uniqueness of the one that's gone forever. Some people save comics in the vain hope that they'll be worth a lot of money years later, or just out of some obsessional need to own every issue in a series. I save them so I can re-read them again.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Seriously dynamite, don't do it. Do not cancel the spider, do not spit in our faces.

Oh and positronic stop accepting being fucked and realize when fans speak up publishers need to listen.

Comment

• If the spider is cancelled after al, the fans spoke up on twitter than I will feel insulted by dynamite. Stop screwing the readers! No matter your sympathetic excuses are people you can't deny this is crap and a slap to us readers.

Comment

• If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
            If tweets were dollars, comics would thrive.
            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
              If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
              If tweets were dollars, comics would thrive.
              Seriously, your little comments like that are annoying. You're a lot like the black kid in the white family, you just ask for abuse and are way out of place among a legion of people who want one thing (you tend to want another). Fans have brought back multiple things from the dead or the brink of death through Twitter, Facebook, and other such websites and efforts, if Dynamite truly loves and cares for its fans than they will listen to the fans and market the book a little better to gain a bigger audience. It's their responsibility, not ours. But there is only so many times you can tickle the hands of the fans and then slap them, The Spider's (possible) cancellation may be the breaking point of many of Dynamite's readers.

Comment

• Seriously, that was incredibly racist. Well, I guess you saw through me. Yes, I was the guy who wanted THE SPIDER to be cancelled. (Caution: May contain sarcasm.)

I get that Twitter exists as an outlet for people to vent their joys and frustrations, but let's not confuse tapping letters on your smartphone with anything that affects the real world. The bottom line is, how do your keystrokes translate into retailers ordering more copies of THE SPIDER? If you're a respected reviewer that influences the purchasing decisions of thousands of people, that's one thing. (But I'd have to ask for some kind of proof. And you can hardly review a comic on Twitter in any meaningful way. I guess you could say you like it, or don't. That's an opinion, not a review.)

The point is, money must flow. There is no implied social contract that says that Dynamite Entertainment has a moral or ethical responsibility for your continued happiness at the cost of their losing money. There seems to be a lot of anthropomorphism going on, with fans thinking that "the company" is an organism or intelligent being that cares about or reacts to their emotional states. No, it's simply doing business.

Twitter hasn't saved anything. At best it might have resulted in someone in a position of authority taking pity on the tweeters, and deciding to continue an unprofitable title a little longer for the sake of public relations, but that hardly changes the economics of the situation. While it's possible for someone to be influenced by something they read on the internet, it's all about getting large enough numbers of people to change their spending habits, which probably happens a lot less than you'd like to think it does.

You might just as well save your energy and redirect it into concentrating on visualizing your desires into reality.
                Last edited by positronic; 03-04-2013, 11:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
                  Twitter hasn't saved anything.
                  Toonami say's "hi".

A block of action/adventure/anime programming on Cartoon Network that was cancelled in 2008 and revived in 2012 with a 6 hour slot on Adult Swim every Saturday night thanks to the now famous Twitter campaign known as #BringBackToonami.

Also, Invader Zim and Family Guy (both cartoons) were brought back thanks to fan campaigns that resulted in angry fans protesting against cancellation.

Comment

• CEO/Publisher

All,

The book is struggling. If we were a larger corporation, we would have cancelled the series with #6. We are hoping it finds a larger audience and considered cancelling it with #12 and relaunching it, but we love our audience and heard you. We're hoping that we find a larger audience. But jumping to conclusions instead of asking is wrong and sends the wrong message to other potential fans. If I was a reader and read this forum to find out information on Dynamite titles and read this thread on The Spider, and had heard good things about it, I would then not try it because you guys are saying it's cancelled and Dynamite doesn't care. If that's they way you feel, I'm sorry to hear that.

Nick

Comment

• Originally posted by nickybdynamite View Post
                      All,

The book is struggling. If we were a larger corporation, we would have cancelled the series with #6. We are hoping it finds a larger audience and considered cancelling it with #12 and relaunching it, but we love our audience and heard you. We're hoping that we find a larger audience. But jumping to conclusions instead of asking is wrong and sends the wrong message to other potential fans. If I was a reader and read this forum to find out information on Dynamite titles and read this thread on The Spider, and had heard good things about it, I would then not try it because you guys are saying it's cancelled and Dynamite doesn't care. If that's they way you feel, I'm sorry to hear that.

Nick
                      Thanks for the update Nick!

I think we're just worried is all, 90% of us absolutely loves the book and we just want a definitive answer as to whether or not it's going to be cancelled. I for one hope no because I know how passionate the readers are about it and I know it fleshes out the pulp line perfectly. The book is amazing, plain and simple.
                      Dynamite Entertainment
                      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• CEO/Publisher

Comixfan 1980,

We agree. I LOVE the series. I want to keep it going. We will try for as long as we can. Maybe the hard work put in will allow sales to go up. It would be terrible if we needed to cancel.

best!

Nick

Comment

• I can't even begin to explain why the economics that support the publication of comic books (or the cancellation of same) aren't even remotely similar to the economics of television programming. But here's a big hint - whether you love or hate Toonami, you've never turned a single dime of your hard-earned money over to Cartoon Network for the privilege of viewing an individual episode. The fact that you pay for cable or satellite access has nothing to do with a single network, never mind the content or decisions to air or cancel programs, just as your paying for internet access has nothing to do with the content of the internet. Programming content on television is much more dependent on the highly subjective perceptions of television programmers, not on what the cumulative total of viewers are willing to pay to underwrite the costs of programming. It's also easier to influence someone to watch a television program, since it doesn't require them to fork over any cash to do so.

The relationship between whether any individual comic book title gets published or cancelled is directly related to the total units sold and dollars accrued by the publisher for that specific title. A critically acclaimed book can still be a commercial failure. It has nothing to do with who talks the loudest or says the nicest things about the comic, or how devoted or involved the existing followers of the book are, or how angry or threatening they get, and everything to do with how many people buy it. Nick B. may hear nothing but wonderful things from fans of Project Superpowers, or nothing but angry threats, but if Dynamite's accountant is telling him he's not making money by publishing it, then it's cancelled. The fewer copies of a comic book that are printed, the more it costs to print each individual copy. There is a very real and non-subjective break-even point. Too many books that don't make a profit, regardless if the publisher loves them like his own children, means he's out of business.

Comment

• I would MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer The original Spider classic Pulp look, with the great character set in his own time era 1930's 1940's

I just don't like the Serial/Dynamite look, and I don't like the character set in the modern age either

Moonstone did a good job with the character

Hope they do an other Spider Chronicles

Maybe we could eventually get from Dynamite a

THE SPIDER YEAR ONE

by Matt Wagner
                            Last edited by Renaud; 03-05-2013, 09:41 PM.

Comment

• IF (and note it's not definite) Dynamite were to cancel the existing Spider title, it seems unlikely they'd conclude that the reason it failed to find an audience was that it wasn't set in the 1930s.

I was never too crazy about the look of The Spider as depicted on the covers of the pulps, anyway. Looking far too much like some bizarre hybrid of The Shadow and The Lone Ranger. If they WERE to do it in the 1930s, they should just go wild and depict him as he is described in the text of the novels... ugly makeup, long white-haired fright wig, fangs, and hunchback... just a big hunk of creepy -- not heroic-looking at all. In fact, now that I think about it, as described he looks more like one of the horror hosts out of Warren or EC Comics, or one of those late-night "Creature Feature" presenters from the 1960s & 70s. It suddenly dawns on me that in all probability, the author (whether it was R.T.M. Scott, or Norvell Page, I can't recall) was very likely thinking of Lon Chaney Sr. (London After Midnight, in which he wore fangs and a long-haired white wig, leaps to mind.)

And draw his cape and hat to look as different from The Shadow as possible -- bad enough that they both carry exactly the same twin Colt .45 automatics.
                              Last edited by positronic; 03-06-2013, 07:23 AM.

Comment

• Well, it sounds to me like the book is not going to be cancelled at issue #12 and that they're going to try to let it live a while beyond that to see if it can gain a wider audience. They should put some previews for it in Masks and The Shadow to see if they can pull more readers or something, get the word out a little.

Hopefully it lives a long and healthy life.
                                Dynamite Entertainment
                                Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Working...
                                X