The Spider series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Historian
    While I hope The Spider will not be canceled, there is a possible silver lining to this dark cloud. I have enjoyed the book very much. However, I feel it was a mistake to attempt to modernize the character. The Spider belongs in the 1930s, not 2013. If the current incarnation is ending maybe, just maybe, Dynamite could relaunch The Spider in his 1930s millieu. Anybody agree with this idea?
    That's precisely the reason I'm not going to buy the Miss Fury books. I mean time travelling? Really?

Comment

• Yes, sure I love reading what Dynamite puts out, and yes at least we have that, but in the long run I'm sick of getting attached to books just to have them taken away. You can only lead the horse along with the carrot so far until he gets pissed off and stops chasing. I'm betting that sadly Black Bat and Miss Fury won't find an audience either and will be cancelled before long as well, which will suck and will just disappoint the readers they do get. As per usual.

If The Spider gets cancelled I may not even try Miss Fury or Black Bat out of fear of cancellation, the shadow seems like the only book doing well enough to not see get the ax.

Comment

• Once in a while the lamb comes along and slaughters the butcher, that is what I see happening here. Fans from all over the web were coming to sing the praises of the spider and begging for it's non-cancellation and Dynamite seems like it's only trying to listen. I liked earlier when they put the blame on us for not passing the word along, thats not our responsibility, it's theirs to advertise it. If the spider gets cancelled I will really think twice before trying or ordering another Dynamite title, call it whatever you want but I'm tired of being strung along.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chadster View Post
          Yes, sure I love reading what Dynamite puts out, and yes at least we have that, but in the long run I'm sick of getting attached to books just to have them taken away. You can only lead the horse along with the carrot so far until he gets pissed off and stops chasing. I'm betting that sadly Black Bat and Miss Fury won't find an audience either and will be cancelled before long as well, which will suck and will just disappoint the readers they do get. As per usual.

If The Spider gets cancelled I may not even try Miss Fury or Black Bat out of fear of cancellation, the shadow seems like the only book doing well enough to not see get the ax.
          I'm worried the two new books to the line won't find a solid readership either, I'm hoping they do and that they do well but I have the feeling it's going to be the same ol' song and dance once they don't and they'll end up cancelled sooner than later. I'll still pick them up since I'm loving this line, but yeah.....I'm really nervous over the whole situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chadster View Post
            Once in a while the lamb comes along and slaughters the butcher, that is what I see happening here. Fans from all over the web were coming to sing the praises of the spider and begging for it's non-cancellation and Dynamite seems like it's only trying to listen. I liked earlier when they put the blame on us for not passing the word along, thats not our responsibility, it's theirs to advertise it. If the spider gets cancelled I will really think twice before trying or ordering another Dynamite title, call it whatever you want but I'm tired of being strung along.
            Great analogy, lol. Also, I agree with you 1000%. It isn't up the the fans to grow the product, all we have to do is buy what we like, it's truly up to Dynamite to promote their books beyond their initial launch to keep fan excitement up.

One thing I must say is that in this business people follow creative teams as much (if not more) than they do characters, so you can take any pulp hero and toss any random team on them you want and someone will buy them but the audience will come in bigger numbers if there is known talent on the book. Hence why The Shadow is still doing good after Garth Ennis left because Dynamite got a known talent who's worked over at Marvel on the X-Men books as well as other big projects. If VG left The Shadow and Dynamite replaced him with one of their lesser known in-house guys like Arvid Nelson or Jerwa than the book would fall in numbers and it's audience would diminish. It is what it is and nobody can change that.

Well known writers/artists coupled with good promotion will equal solid numbers. Nobodies coupled with a slight initial launch excitement equals low numbers after launch. Period.

Comment

• Originally posted by manga4life View Post
              If VG left The Shadow
              He's already left. Gischler is out, Roberson is in. I'm completely unfamiliar with artist Giovanni Timpano's work.

THE SHADOW #13

Rating: Teen +
              Covers: Alex Ross (25%), Paolo Rivera (25%), Tim Bradstreet (25%), Francesco Francavilla (25%)
              Writer: Chris Roberson
              Artist: Giovanni Timpano
              Publication Date: Apr 2013
              Page Count: 32 pages
              Age range: 16+
              ON SALE DATE: April 17

A grisly string of random murders has left the authorities baffled, but The Shadow believes there is method to the killer's madness. At each crime scene, eyewitnesses have spotted the spectral figure of a woman in white. Is "The Light" behind the murders, or a victim's lost spirit? The Shadow must unravel the mystery before the killer strikes again!
              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• I get that it's a business and all that jazz, that's a nice fall back approach to what's going on, sure. But sometimes it goes beyond it being just "business". Questions must be asked. Questions such as "how are you running the business?" and "What are you doing to change the course of how the business is going to please those who are already attracted to what you're doing?". Comic books are a tough business, but it lies on the shoulders of the publisher to do what they need to do to get the orders of the book up, that responsibility does not lay on the shoulders of the readers. And even though I'm the forum admin, the twitter poster, and a few others things around here I must say that Dynamite hasn't done much to promote The Spider outside of it's initial launch and tossing him into Masks.

Maybe if they put some previews for the book at the end of some of their higher selling titles or ran an ad on CBR.com or BleedingCool.com than more people would be exposed to the character and will want to check him out. Simply shrugging your shoulders and accepting defeat is not the way to lure in new readers and respect the ones you already have. The fans have spoken out, I am on Dynamite's Twitter every single day and I see the fan response. I read these forums and other forums and I see the fan response. It's high! Sure, orders may be a bit low, but again, it isn't the readers fault and the company needs to do something to up the ante on the orders instead of shrugging it off and excepting the fact that the book is struggling.

Positronic can come on here and side with the company all he wants, like Manga said it would seem he likes the abuse, but some people simply won't take it anymore and I can't blame them too much. Kirby, Superpowers, Last Phantom, Flash Gordon, ect are all books that the fans loved and enjoyed and when they're yanked from you with little to no notice it hurts. Another fallback excuse would be that other publishers do this as well, which is true, but why fall into the pack when you can try to do something about it? Any which way, if readers leave than I'm sorry to see that but in a way I have a hard time blaming them as well.
                Dynamite Entertainment
                Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
                  He's already left. Gischler is out, Roberson is in. I'm completely unfamiliar with artist Giovanni Timpano's work.

THE SHADOW #13

Rating: Teen +
                  Covers: Alex Ross (25%), Paolo Rivera (25%), Tim Bradstreet (25%), Francesco Francavilla (25%)
                  Writer: Chris Roberson
                  Artist: Giovanni Timpano
                  Publication Date: Apr 2013
                  Page Count: 32 pages
                  Age range: 16+
                  ON SALE DATE: April 17

A grisly string of random murders has left the authorities baffled, but The Shadow believes there is method to the killer's madness. At each crime scene, eyewitnesses have spotted the spectral figure of a woman in white. Is "The Light" behind the murders, or a victim's lost spirit? The Shadow must unravel the mystery before the killer strikes again!
                  Chris Roberson is a decent name within the industry, so I don't see orders/sales dropping as much. But if it was a lower tiered talent I agree with manga, I think figures would fall.
                  Dynamite Entertainment
                  Forum Administrator

Comment

• Enjoy Your Favorite Titles Now!

I understand the trepidation so many fans feel that some of their favorite books will someday face cancellation. This is just the way of the world. Enjoy the books while they are here. I love the Shadow; he is one of my favorite characters. I listened to old radio broadcasts from the 1930s when I was in college during the early 1970s and I loved the O'Neil/Kaluta version published by DC. It only lasted about a dozen issues. I still have them all. I liked the 1980s The Shadow Strikes and the attempts by Dark Horse to revive the character. Again, this didn't last either. I am savoring each and every Dynamite issue of the Shadow. I fear it may not last but I am going to buy each one and encourage my friends who read comics to do the same. Dynamite is publishing some good books featuring classic characters-The Lone Ranger, The Spider, The Green Hornet, Zorro and Flash Gordon. I love them all but I realize that not all of them will survive in the long run. Read and enjoy them do not blame the publishers (who have to make a profit to stay in business). They want these titles to succeed just like the fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Historian View Post
                      I understand the trepidation so many fans feel that some of their favorite books will someday face cancellation. This is just the way of the world. Enjoy the books while they are here. I love the Shadow; he is one of my favorite characters. I listened to old radio broadcasts from the 1930s when I was in college during the early 1970s and I loved the O'Neil/Kaluta version published by DC. It only lasted about a dozen issues. I still have them all. I liked the 1980s The Shadow Strikes and the attempts by Dark Horse to revive the character. Again, this didn't last either. I am savoring each and every Dynamite issue of the Shadow. I fear it may not last but I am going to buy each one and encourage my friends who read comics to do the same. Dynamite is publishing some good books featuring classic characters-The Lone Ranger, The Spider, The Green Hornet, Zorro and Flash Gordon. I love them all but I realize that not all of them will survive in the long run. Read and enjoy them do not blame the publishers (who have to make a profit to stay in business). They want these titles to succeed just like the fans.
                      Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

I don't understand what's so difficult about the concept of buying just the comic books you enjoy, and not buying the ones you don't. Why complicate this simple formula by deciding to not buy books you know you will enjoy, because they will cease to be published one day? Also don't point the finger of blame at the publisher, when too many other people made the same choices and decided they didn't like the same things you did. How is that the publisher's fault?
                      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Not everyone thinks the same and I see both sides of the argument. Just because you think with that mindset doesn't mean everyone else does too and there is no clear cut right or wrong answer here.

Also, its the publishers responsibility to promote their own titles, if the books are failing than they need to get the word out more. Fans share no responsibility in that whatsoever, they did their part already when they bought a copy
                        Last edited by comixfan1980; 03-07-2013, 06:36 PM.
                        Dynamite Entertainment
                        Forum Administrator

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
                          Giovanni Timpano is a terrific artist—he hasn't gotten a lot of American work yet, but he's top notch. It's bad form for me to promote work I've done for other publishers here, but Gio is the illustrator of the first creator-owned project for both myself and Dynamite veteran Brandon Jerwa. (Ironically, work being published by Chris Roberson, author of The Shadow story you're referencing.)

-E

Comment

• It's an unfortunate fact of life that other people's right to exercise their own free will is going to affect you in some way. Sometimes when enough other people make choices that don't happen to align with your own, it will ultimately result in less choices that are available to you. Nobody likes having their freedom of choice limited in some way, and as the world increasingly moves to "on-demand" methods of production and distribution the tyranny of numbers will become less of a limiting factor. Until then we just have to grit our teeth and deal with it.
                            Last edited by positronic; 03-08-2013, 02:31 AM.

Comment

• What I don't get is how complaining is doing anything to change or help the situation. I don't see any possible positive effect. I see a possible negative one, that people who are merely curious (and possibly open to it) might read all the doom and gloom comments and say forget it.

Comment

• Originally posted by eric_trautmann View Post
                                Giovanni Timpano is a terrific artist—he hasn't gotten a lot of American work yet, but he's top notch. It's bad form for me to promote work I've done for other publishers here, but Gio is the illustrator of the first creator-owned project for both myself and Dynamite veteran Brandon Jerwa. (Ironically, work being published by Chris Roberson, author of The Shadow story you're referencing.)

-E
                                OK, so I guess I have to figure it out myself. Chris is the publisher of MonkeyBrain Books, so I went to the website and looked at the titles, looking for your name, Brandon's or Giovanni's. I'm still stumped. So I googled around some more, and found it.

http://graphicpolicy.com/2013/03/01/...te-0-for-free/

Comment

Working...
                                X