The Spider series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
    OK, so I guess I have to figure it out myself. Chris is the publisher of MonkeyBrain Books, so I went to the website and looked at the titles, looking for your name, Brandon's or Giovanni's. I'm still stumped. So I googled around some more, and found it.

http://graphicpolicy.com/2013/03/01/...te-0-for-free/
    Your detective skills serve you well.

-E

Comment

• CEO/Publisher

Chadster,

Are you sure that you're not trying to get the series cancelled? Again, if I were reading this board, I wouldn't bother to pick up The Spider, nor even try Miss Fury nor The Black Bat. I'd look at it and say "forget this".

We put out the best books we can. Some resonate, and some need to take a bit to come back. Some never come back. It's tough, but the world is tougher. And you're telling the world more about not buying the books than to buy them. Yes, you say nice things about the books, but at the same time you say so much negative, I would never buy the book. I would look at your post and say why would I support this line, at all.

Right now, we're extending The Spider for all the fans. We're trying. But darn man, you're making me reconsider just basedo on the fact that you're scaring away any new readers and right now, single handedly practically, you're convincing me that it's a losing battle.

I know Manga4life has tried. And I appreciate his concerns. But man, you are tough.

I feel positronic is right. Buy what you enjoy. There's only so much we can do at times. We get the word out. We promote, and we do what we can.

If you look at our history, and not just these books that you like and are vocal about possibly being cancelled (which again, you're helping to do so by what I feel is scaring potential new fans), you can look at our history with titles like Red Sonja being at issue #74, and even Army of Darkness. That book has been cancelled and come back at least 3 times. And it's still coming out. There is the fact that sometimes a series gets cancelled, and you try and figure out a new way to bring the character back with more readers.

You don't have to get the word out or support the books or do more than read them if you don't want. But please don't help them get cancelled.

sincerely,

Nick

Comment

• CEO/Publisher

And let me give you a personal example of being takled out of something by what people were saying on message boards. I wanted to go see the Alex Cross movie when it came out. I'm a huge Ed Burns fan. Big time. I think it was his second movie that got me hooked, She's the One. Loved it. Chick Flick, but just fell in love it with. His movie Confidence, is just fantastic for me on every level. Andy Garcia was in it, all great actors.

So, Alex Cross came out, and people were dissing it big time. So, I didn't go, because I didn't want to see an Ed Burns movie that was being dumped on, because it's not worth it.

On my way back from Emerald City last weekend, the plane played Alex Cross. I was too tired to read and could do the work I needed to do while watching it. And you know what? I found it very entertaining. And I regretted not seeing it when it came out. I could have seen it when it came out and then saw it again. I could have supported the movie twice. My $8.00 would have added something in. But I let a negative reaction affect it.

Now, it's a different negative reaction to convince fans to not buy a book. And that's just what's been happening here.

I had 2 people come up to my booth at Emerald City last weekend and said that they wanted to try Masks, but reading on our message boards that we cancel titles, they didn't want to try it because they thought we might cancel it and heard that we were after issue #8. I had to explain to them that issue #8 was the end of the mini-series and that things would get more exciting after that. They like hearing that and bought #1 and Jae (Lee) who was at our booth signed it for them.

And they're going to try The Shadow now. Hopefully the Spider as well. But if I read these posts, I wouldn't try them. I'd be concerned they would be cancelled.

It's a self fulfilling profecy when fans talk about books being cancelled at this level. And last weekend, there was proof from at least 2 potential fans who didn't purchase any Masks till then.

sincerely,

Nick

Comment

• I don't understand the cancellation/effecting purchase. Sure, I feel a bit sad that an excellent book like Peter Cannon is dead man walking, but I am so grateful to have this series, for however many issues it gets published. You know what, if they throw out a few one shots or miniseries down the road, I will be right there too!

Case in point, I see the sale numbers for Dial H. I know DC has to be close to canceling it, but I really love reading that book. Will I miss it? Yeah, but it doesn't detract from the stories I got to enjoy, and hopefully another book I like will take it's place.

So many books I cherished over the years didnt last. Bravado's by Skywald...3 issues. Charlton only managed like 19 issues of Classic and Ted Kord Blue Beetle. Cherish every One. AC comics did one issue of Sentinals of Justice (a Charlton Justice League with Question, BB, Captain Atom, Nightshade) One of my favorite books.

Would I have liked those books to have pumped out hundreds of issues, became a popular toy and movie line, sure. Doesnt stop me from loving those issues. Doesnt stop me from buying the Spider, Peter Cannon, Masks, etc, because of What if. Enjoy the now.

Comment

• Originally posted by nickybdynamite View Post
            We put out the best books we can. Some resonate, and some need to take a bit to come back. Some never come back. It's tough, but the world is tougher. And you're telling the world more about not buying the books than to buy them.

Nick
            I've been critical of many of the things that Chadster has mentioned but I don't want to dwell on that stuff too much. Books get cancelled, it happens. Sometimes, it could be delivered better (right Last Phantom?), which I think might be the deeper problem, but I think we all appreciate when a story is seen through (like the much delayed Green Hornet Strikes...better delayed than non-existent).

That said, I've found the Masks series to be very encouraging and it has renewed my interest in the company. Several characters have appeared unexpectedly, new ones have been introduced...In my view, this is the way it needs to be done. That way we at least know that certain characters are still on your radar. Sometimes, not knowing is the worst part.

Would I like to be able to buy a Black Terror book monthly? Absolutely. But I can be satisfied with an appearance in Masks in the meantime and it restores my faith that at some point, some of my other favourites who have faded out can return. Plus, I have Black Bat and Miss Fury to look forward to. Win-win.

Comment

• Welcome back, Captain Canuck. Nice to hear from you.
              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
                Welcome back, Captain Canuck. Nice to hear from you.
                Thanks, man. I haven't been posting but I'd pop in from time to time to check for news. Really, the only book I've been reading (aside from Masks) is Green Hornet and usually a few weeks behind everyone anyway, so I didn't have much to add.

I am very much looking forward to Waid's Hornet story, as well as Black Bat and Miss Fury even though, in typical Dynamite fashion, they seem to deviate a fair bit from the characters that we know.

Comment

• Dynamite did the right thing and listened to their customers! The Spider lives for a while longer at least thanks to Twitter and thanks to the fans! Nobody can change that we united and make this happen using the web as our voice, had Dynamite cancelled Spider it would have been pathetic and a slap in the fans faces after the outcry, good jobe dynamite!

Comment

• The Spider #10 was great!

What did everyone here think about The Spider #10? I felt it was one of the best issues to date and the story was simply amazing, I just wish it could have been longer and that this book came out twice a month. Well, at $4 an issue I suppose once a month is fine, lol.

Viva La Spider!

Comment

• I loved it. I have been hoping this whole arch nemesis story with The Fly would deliver and it looks like its going to.

I have to admit, The Hater arc was a bit of a low point in my opinion and it is very good to see The Spider back at the level of greatness I've become accustomed to expecting. Here's hoping it goes on for many more years!

Comment

• New blog in support of The Spider, I hope it helps!

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com/...tainments.html

Spread the word guys!

Comment

• Fine work, here's my vote to keep it going. I've bought every issue so far.
                          Last edited by Beezer; 03-28-2013, 03:23 PM. Reason: derp

Comment

• Perhaps You would like to join The Spider facebook page? I posted a link to your blog on it. As I share your views on the subject to the letter. Not to drop names but David, Nick & Colton are also members haha

http://www.facebook.com/thespidercomic

Comment

• It was so good wasn't it?

Comment

• Thanks for the heads up. I "liked".

Dig it.

Comment

Working...
                                X