No announcement yet.

The Spider series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Page 3: When did The Spider's gun turn into a taser? He never had a problem shooting people before, and it just makes it look like he's stealing the Green Hornet's gimmicks.

"I'm The Spider -- and I'm not wearing pants!"
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• I've recently re-read The Spider #1 through #10 and just fell in love with this book even more than I loved it before, hence the blog I wrote (see sig). As for issue #10, it was pretty intense with The Fly terrorizing The Spider and really putting him in check with his devious tactics.......and horrible jokes. Super issue of a super series, I'm glad the fans are screaming for this book's life to continue!

Comment

• The Fly made me want to jump through the page and strangle him to death with my bare hands, which is a tribute to the creative team for making him so dislikable. Once The Spider gets his hands on him it's only a matter of time until he strangles him to death for me, or maybe he'll shoot him in the head like he had done to that poor woman he held hostage, either way it's going to be a sweet victory for The Spider.

Issue #10 was intense, fun, spine tingling, and all around awesome. Thanks for such a great monthly title, Dynamite!

Comment

• Nice support, Manga! I see that Nick has listened and bumped The Spider up to at least 14 issues, if the fan support keeps rolling in via e-mail, Twitter, Facebook, and these here forums I don't see this book getting cancelled anytime soon.

Also, just because it's orders aren't on the same level with Waid's Green Hornet or The Shadow doesn't mean that Dynamite isn't making money off of it. I hope the money they do make is enough to keep it around for it's dedicated audience, an audience that came together and screamed for it's survival. Good work, team!

Comment

• Thanks for reading my blog! I haven't been as active on it as I used to be, I used to publish at least 2 blogs a month but lately it's been more like 2 blogs over a six month period. But I've been doing some writing and updated it as soon as this morning, so look for more content coming soon. I'm glad that it helped the #SaveTheSpider Twitter campaign and that Dynamite has stood up to listen.

Comment

• Keep it up #savethespider

We need to keep up the pressure to preserve the Spider past issue 14. There are so many quality Pulp titles around at the moment from Dynamite and even more to come. You can defiantly see the Spider getting squeezed out.

It would be such a shame as it was my introduction to the Dynamite Pulp stable so I really have a soft spot for the title. I was just blown away by both the quality of the story and art when I first saw it, I can't imagine life without it.

#savethespider

Comment

• I'm going to keep buying The Spider and keep bugging Dynamite Comics to continue to publish this book until the sky falls down. I swear, this book is the best comic on stands today and I will support it through and through.

Comment

• Why does The Spider need saving?

Okay, I realize that it's awesome and I realize there aren't enough people buying it..so that's not what my question means.

I'm biased of course, because I found it before I even looked at the other Dynamite pulp comics and I personally liked it better than The Shadow and haven't followed that title. I admit I want to buy them all and Masks too, but I'm gonna have to cut some other books to do it. I went a little crazy the last couple of months adding titles.

So I'd like to know why people think the sales slacked off.

The covers are eye catching and got my attention in the first place. The inside art has been good, and finally the story has to keep you and it has been interesting to a lot of us I see.
                  My understanding is that sales dropped off after the first story arc. I wondered at first if it was being picked up by the zombie fad readers, then dropped when that was solved. I have to admit I was relieved that it wasn't another permanent zombie book.

It could have just been people holding out to finish the story arc on a new book and see how it goes. It could just be from the new glut of books coming out from other companies taking up people's money, but the other books seem to be okay. I admit I haven't read enough of the Shadow to determine if it is the writing quality or just the name carrying it.

I can say I was hoping The Spider would be written in the original era it was created instead of modernized, but I like it still and want to keep reading it. I think the #savethespider idea was awesome and got people interested in sharing the book with other people to keep interest in it. After some of the discussions on the forum it makes me wonder if it needs to just be referred to as #thespider now and not keep up the image that it's failing or desperate or something which apparently might keep people away. That has nothing to do with the early drop in sales.

The covers are great, but I wonder if there are too many choices early on. They don't seem to sell out, because you can always get one of them. Maybe one cover with a limited variant might keep people from blowing too much money on covers and keep interest up because it might have some kind of resale value especially if it leads to a 2nd printing. That may be a gimmick, I dunno. I like having all the choices and picking my favorites. I'm just speculating what might affect it.

I'm probably rambling and fishing. I'd just like to know why a good book sitting amongst other good books is somehow ignored and doesn't make it. There has to be a real reason. Even the crappy comic shop in my town had plenty. I bought the bulk of them there in his back issues and multiple covers. Nobody was even buying his. I will say most people in this area buy Marvel and DC and ignore Image, D.E., I.D.W., Boom!, and others. It's odd when I can go in his shop and find a sold out book on the shelf that nobody even flipped through. BUT that is just the company not the book, because they're obviously selling enough of other titles.

thejom

Comment

• I do think The Spider has maybe been caught in a bit of a bubble. I loved it as soon as it came out and it introduced me to the other Dynamite Pulp titles. The problem I feel is that Dynamite have so many good titles at the moment that The Spider may have been a little squeezed out.

Also there is so much hype around The Shadow at the moment (rightly so in my opinion) that it could have taken a bit of the limelight away from Spider.

With Miss Fury, Black Bat and the Owl all ready to hit the streets I think it's going to be difficult for our friend to hang on in there. I will always support it but I understand there is only so much cash to go around and some titles are always going to fall, irrelevant how fantastic some of us feel they are.

I am wondering if some of the Pulp titles could be merged into a permanent team title? Maybe a continuous Masks style Pulp squad that could involve the likes of Spider, the Owl and others so we could keep our fix without each taking up a solo title that sometimes struggles to sell? A full on Pulp Avengers...... What do people think?

I am a realist and think Spider is probably staring into the abyss short term but he is such a great character and the art and stories are so good I cannot imagine Dynamite would finish him for good.

I will always have a massive soft spot for a character that introduced me to the Dynamite brand and therefore will keep hoping he holds his own in one way or another.

Comment

• Orders for The Spider started low, only about 10k, unlike The Shadow that started with over 25k in orders. Dynamite promoted The Spider heavily upon release and then probably felt underwhelmed by the initial orders and stopped promoting the book (as they seem to do with most of the books after release). With no promotion and low numbers it was basically a doom ship to begin with. Still, if they get more orders and if we keep making it known we want more of The Spider than hopefully we will see this book continue on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tubebar_rich View Post
                        I am wondering if some of the Pulp titles could be merged into a permanent team title? Maybe a continuous Masks style Pulp squad that could involve the likes of Spider, the Owl and others so we could keep our fix without each taking up a solo title that sometimes struggles to sell? A full on Pulp Avengers...... What do people think?
                        That I'd be all over that. I think I would prefer different volumes though rather than an ongoing.

I also don't know if so many similar characters would work well as a team on a regular basis. Masks unites them through a far-reaching threat. I think you'd need that kind of story.

Otherwise if you envisioned an official team, I think that would be harder to pull off with this bunch. The characters don't really lend themselves to it, having been primarily solo performers in a specific base of operations (I'd still buy it though ).

You could perhaps have a team in a specific city (The Shadow's, for example, if you wanted to use him as selling point) by writing in some of the "pre-urn" Superpowers characters much like they did Black Terror and Green Lama in Masks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tubebar_rich View Post
                          That's the sort of cry of desperation that makes me want to just give up reading. Crossovers and limited series are one thing, but a month in, month out pulp supergroup would ruin anything special about these characters. Essentially, if these characters can't support their own books, then they don't deserve to be published. Or to put it more accurately, an unappreciative comic book reading world doesn't deserve them. Sorry man, you had to ask.
                          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Originally posted by manga4life View Post
                            Orders for The Spider started low, only about 10k, unlike The Shadow that started with over 25k in orders. Dynamite promoted The Spider heavily upon release and then probably felt underwhelmed by the initial orders and stopped promoting the book (as they seem to do with most of the books after release). With no promotion and low numbers it was basically a doom ship to begin with. Still, if they get more orders and if we keep making it known we want more of The Spider than hopefully we will see this book continue on.
                            I can see that on the advertisement. I found the book on the shelf and the cover was the advertisement for me. Otherwise I didn't see it except for in previews. Honestly I've bought so many titles in the past that didn't last long, I think my tastes just don't fit mainstream. So it's not like it's going to be a deterrent for me. I read what I like. I have one friend who avoids mini-series because they don't typically go up in price and mostly he likes a longer developed character and storyline. I like mini-series because a book drops off my list and I can grab a new one without inflating my expenses. Maybe we are both wrong. Ha.
                            I'd like to see this book keep going, but if it doesn't I hope it comes back for some minis and maybe some throwbacks to the original era. It sure made me interested in reading some of the old pulp books that I ignored before! I love reading Robert E. Howard's work and this helped me give the other stuff a chance too.

Comment

• I'm in agreement with some of the other posters. Maybe Dynamite should do these as "connected mini-series" the way that Dark Horse does a lot of their books. You get the bump of a first issue and the audience can choose to stay on in the long run, or just read an arc.

Comment

• Originally posted by db8coach View Post
                                I'm in agreement with some of the other posters. Maybe Dynamite should do these as "connected mini-series" the way that Dark Horse does a lot of their books. You get the bump of a first issue and the audience can choose to stay on in the long run, or just read an arc.
                                Oh come on, now you're just being sensible.

Comment

Working...
                                X