The Spider series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Renaud View Post
    The look of year one was based on the golden age comic book and to a certain extend on the serial not that far appart
    But Green Hornet Comics #1 was cover-dated December 1940, while the 1st Green Hornet movie serial was in theaters in January 1940. So the movie costume predated the comics. Prior to the serial, there wasn't much in the way of Hornet merchandising or images, so (much as with The Lone Ranger), the movie serial was really the primary source for establishing a visual reference in the public's mind for what The Green Hornet looked like. Before that, radio listeners just imagined what he looked like -- the radio shows tended not to give too detailed a description of what the Hornet looked like in his disguise.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
      But Green Hornet Comics #1 was cover-dated December 1940, while the 1st Green Hornet movie serial was in theaters in January 1940. So the movie costume predated the comics. Prior to the serial, there wasn't much in the way of Hornet merchandising or images, so (much as with The Lone Ranger), the movie serial was really the primary source for establishing a visual reference in the public's mind for what The Green Hornet looked like. Before that, radio listeners just imagined what he looked like -- the radio shows tended not to give too detailed a description of what the Hornet looked like in his disguise.
      To be fair, the earliest Green Hornet appearance I have in my collection is the old time radio episode from 1936/02/27, Green Hornet: Trouble Hits The Trolley

Some of the best:

Green Hornet 1936-02-27 Trouble Hits The Trolley
      Green Hornet 1936-03-03 Not One Cent For Tribute
      Green Hornet 1936-03-06 Justice Wears A Blindfold
      Green Hornet 1938-05-05 The Political Racket
      Green Hornet 1939-10-17 Sales Tax Racket
      Green Hornet 1939-10-30 Parking Lot Racket
      Green Hornet 1939-11-23 Smuggler Signs His Name
      Green Hornet 1940-09-27 Votes For Sale
      Green Hornet 1941-05-17 Smashing The Counterfeit Ring
      Green Hornet 1942-02-21 Charity Takes It On The Chin
      Green Hornet 1942-05-23 A Slip Of The Lip
      Green Hornet 1942-09-12 Murder Trips A Rat
      Green Hornet 1945-06-14 Not So Smart
      Green Hornet 1945-08-23 Unexpected Meeting
      Green Hornet 1945-10-04 Stuffed Panda
      Green Hornet 1945-10-11 Hot Money And Death
      Green Hornet 1946-01-22 George Havens Secret
      Green Hornet 1946-01-29 Escape For Revenge
      Green Hornet 1946-05-28 Polarized Glasses
      Green Hornet 1946-06-11 The Hornet Does It Again
      Green Hornet 1946-06-25 Revenge For Melakim
      Green Hornet 1946-09-24 Underwater Adventure
      Green Hornet 1948-01-20 A Matter Of Evidence
      Green Hornet 1948-91-27 Hit And Run
      Green Hornet 1950-12-06 Devils Playground

I wonder if they did a promo poster in the 1930's for the Green Hornet

Maybe this

Sounds like the original look was this

The show ran from 1936 to 1952, a radio series very much worth listening to
      Last edited by Renaud; 09-09-2011, 07:41 PM.

Comment

When will 'The Spider' come out?

Just asking.

Comment

The future.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

But when it does, one version will look a little like this:

http://www.francescofrancavilla.com/...spider_01.html

Comment

Much more here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=37033

And the answer to the original question is "May".

Comment

Thanks, Captain. I expect this to be somewhat controversial due to the updating and changing the classic look from the pulp covers to the movie serial look (even more so than the pulp-vs-radio Shadow controversy). However, in my opinion this looks to have quite a pulp/noir flavor, much more so than DE's update of the Green Hornet. Looking forward with bated breath.

The "webbed" laser-sighting on the pistols seems a little unrealistic, but it looks cool nonetheless.
                Last edited by positronic; 02-17-2012, 02:15 AM.

Comment

To tell the truth, I wasn't sure I was going to get into this but being that there doesn't seem to be Green Hornet Year One return any time soon, I just might. The Spider is a character I've known of for a while but never really looked into. And Worley's terrific.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                    To tell the truth, I wasn't sure I was going to get into this but being that there doesn't seem to be Green Hornet Year One return any time soon, I just might. The Spider is a character I've known of for a while but never really looked into. And Worley's terrific.
                    I wouldn't be surprised to see, sometime about a year down the road (provided they can work it out with the licensors), some crossover books: The Shadow & (Matt Wagner's) Green Hornet, and The Spider & (Kevin Smith's) Green Hornet.

Comment

After the recent Dinamite Spider comic book previews I saw, I might give it a shot, but certainly not because of the serial look

At least a first volume

but Dynamite with such design, and set in the modern age, will never beat the amazingly great work Moonstone did with the classic Spider

Still have plenty of orders from them in different book formats, and I encourage everyone to read those as well

Attached Files

Comment

The biggest problem with Moonstone's Spider is that it comes out "once in a blue moon". Here's hoping DE's Spider will be closer to a monthly experience.

Comment

The biggest problem with Moonstone's Spider is that it comes out "once in a blue moon". Here's hoping DE's Spider will be closer to a monthly experience.
                          Absolutely right

Moonstone is small and took their time with the Spider, but I would rather get quality of a great potential character than quantity

Hopefully Dynamite can also give us quality

And I'll still be encouraging Moonstone with their Spider work in any format, even in non comic books

I would certainly love more illustrated novels, good old Pulp style, as was as hopefully a Spider Chronicles Volume 2 Hardcover, and a Volume 1 reprint hardcover with the same high quality as their Avenger Chronicles, and others, possibly even a first Shadow Chronicles

And I do love those classic Double Pulp Spider reprints as well

This is one Master Of Men would should have his own big budget film http://heroescomics.9f.com/spider.htm
                          Last edited by Renaud; 02-19-2012, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Renaud View Post
                            I would certainly love more illustrated novels, good old Pulp style, as was as hopefully a Spider Chronicles Volume 2 Hardcover, and a Volume 1 reprint hardcover with the same high quality as their Avenger Chronicles, and others, possibly even a first Shadow Chronicles
                            Seems to me that I read somewhere (can't recall now) that Moonstone plans another Spider Chronicles, more Green Hornet Chronicles, and a first-ever Lone Ranger prose collection. There may have been others as well. Hard to get good info on Moonstone since they shut down their forums. For example, Moonstone Pulp Fiction Magazine was announced, then nothing. Not sure if it's still supposed to be happening. Releases of The Return of the Originals titles have been so slow (supposedly the first Phantom Detective GN is out next week, still no Secret Agent X on the horizon) that it's impossible for this line to gain any traction with new readers. Still no Black Bat GN #2, and when did the last issue of The Spider come out? Plus I'm never quite sure with The Spider and Domino Lady one-shots whether they are comics or "widevision" illustrated prose stories. It's frustrating.

So, in my opinion, there's more than enough room for Dynamite to take up some of the slack.
                            Last edited by positronic; 02-20-2012, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Nice official homepage with a guide to all things related to The Spider:

http://homepage.mac.com/cdkalb/spider/

Comment

Hard to get good info on Moonstone since they shut down their forums.
                                Indeed. Anyone who thinks Dynamite is bad for that should try Moonstone for a while.

I wrote to them recently and received a brief response to my questions about 3-4 days later so it's not all bad, in fairness. I asked about Northern Guard #3 which is almost a year late now. And apparently will continue adding to that total for the forseeable future.

Comment

Working...
                                X