No announcement yet.

The Spider series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As long as the book is making money, it won't be cancelled.

If it's cancelled, it's because it's not making money. Of if the license gets pulled, which Dynamite has no control over.

I don't see why there's any worry here.
    Last edited by bluedevil2002; 05-30-2013, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• Has there been a good jump on issue recently?

I'll add it to my pull.

Comment

• #12 is the end of an arc.

I think it's pretty much a safe bet that every 6 issues is a new arc. So, 1, 7, 13, etc.

Comment

• Awesomesauce.. I'll make sure to start at issue 13. thanks!

Comment

• What is the The Pulp Comics Army reading?

Hey! I was wondering what pulp comics everyone else is reading from Dynamite? What's your favorite title right now and why?

Comment

• I read everything "Pulp" oriented, even the Warlord of Mars, Zorro, and Tarzan stuff. I love it all! I see that you're mainly the superhero pulp stuff and thats cool, I love that too, but I just dove into all of it.

Comment

• Miss Fury
                The Black Bat
                Masks
                The Shadow
                The Spider

Don't really like the Green Hornet.

I don't know if Warlord of Mars is pulp, but I like that series, but prefer Dejah Thoris over it.

Comment

• Indeed I am a sucker for the hero type pulp comics. In particular I find The Spider to be my favorite of the titles so far. This title is really what really brought me into the pulp world. I think David Liss has been doing an excellent job with every story arc and always finds a way hook my attention. When the title first came out and I saw Colton Worley's interior artwork, I was sold. The panels and layouts were always interesting an unique. I was a little sad to see him go, but Ivan Rodriguez stepped up to the plate. There was a drastic change in artistic style and it was different than what initially drew me to this title, but I think he is doing a bang up job.

I am still waiting to see how some of the newer titles pane out, could be one of those ends up becoming one I favor more. We are only 1 issue into The Black Bat and I already have this feeling I'm going to love this title. I am a big fan of Brian Buccellato's stuff (1) because I have collected The Flash since I was a kid and have enjoyed every issue since Brian and Francis Manapul took over and (2) his indie series Foster was a great read (you should check it out).

I am currently making my way through The Shadow and The Shadow Year One so maybe some time I will post something about my thoughts on this particular pulp character's titles some time down the road. I am didn't initially collect it because I was already familiar with the character and wanted to initially read about a character I didn't already have background knowledge on.

Based on the way I wrote this post I noticed that at the moment I seem to favor the pulp titles that are taking the characters into a more modern setting. So got me wondering what everyone's thoughts are on pulp characters in modern settings vs being set in the WWII era???

Comment

• I just finished Issue 11, This series is great, its like fine wine, it keeps getting better with age. It consistenly has all the major elements of a great story, action, mystery, romance, vengeance. I'll continue to get the word out as much as I can about this and other DE titles that are fantastic.

Comment

• It depends, I like both settings quite a bit and I think it really depends on the character. If I had to pick one it would be the classic setting though The Spider challenges that with every issue that comes out, same goes for The Black Bat. Gosh, I don't really know, I just adore them both.
                      Dynamite Entertainment
                      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• I've seen people complain over the love triangle portion of the book from time to time and that's fine, but I personally think it adds another dimension to the book beyond The Spider fighting bad guys. Crap hit the fan when he finally bagged Nita, now things are as interesting as ever when it comes to Richards personal life.
                        Dynamite Entertainment
                        Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                          I've seen people complain over the love triangle portion of the book from time to time and that's fine, but I personally think it adds another dimension to the book beyond The Spider fighting bad guys. Crap hit the fan when he finally bagged Nita, now things are as interesting as ever when it comes to Richards personal life.
                          I agree, I think it adds a nice layer of characterization and depth to the series, Further more, many men have found themselves in a situation where they are in love with a friends wife or girlfriend, or they had a brief affair. I think its good story telling to see Richard and Nita trying to balance the fact they are clearly in love, but they want to be honorable, and do the right thing. Compounded so much by the fact that Nita's husband is a friend of Rich's and even more, he is actually a good person who loves Nita himself.

Sometimes Love triangles in a comic come across absurd, I think David Liss has done a good job incorporating one that is compelling and realistic, You can tell that whatever happens Richard will be regretful, Even if he ends up with the woman he loves, he destroys a marriage, and hurts a close friend. damned if you do, damned if you don't

Comment

• Oh, in Issue 10, the battle scene where the Fly says "you are now in my--are you ready for it?" "My fly trap! Pretty excellent right!". that was hilarious.

The fly is a really cool villain, dangerous, smart and also brings a sense of humor to the table.

There is a lot of humor in this series, I like how it isn't overdone, Liss knows how to make a little humor go a long way

My favorite scene from the entire series so far is in an earlier issue when Carson stabs a guy with the letter opener in the hand, and when Richard freaks out and asks if hes sure its the right guy. His response is classic "what..you mean like am I 100% sure, no I can't say that, but I'm pretty sure, sure enough to stab him in the hand with a letter opener, I'm at least that sure"

Comment

• I think James is right. I believe that a lot of people can identify with wanting their friends wife or partner and the love triangle is really a fun and exciting part of this series. The way Nita just threw herself at Wentworth when she thought her husband was dead showed she still wants him and then when she was hypnotized into killing the man she loved and went after Richard, that was a major cliffhanger and an awesome piece of writing. I'm so glad this series is continuing and I give Dynamite huge props for listening to their fans and keeping it going, very well done indeed.

Long live The Spider.

Comment

• Hey Scott,

Yes, Warlord of Mars is pulp. John Carter and company first appeared in pulp books way back in the early 1900's and the stories roots were and are most certainly pulp.

And as for Swagner017, I prefer the superhero pulp books to the other selection but I read almost all of them and love the genre as a whole. I do admit to giving Green Hornet, The Spider, and Black Bat a majority of my attention though, as well as The Shadow and Miss Fury, so I guess I'm in the same boat as you for the most part.

Comment

Working...
                                X